Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

On Error () Logging by Using Event Handlers Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, July 20, 2014 5:25 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item On Error () Logging by Using Event Handlers
Post #738577
Posted Friday, June 26, 2009 3:00 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 5:51 AM
Nice article and a good companion to Jamie Thompsons blog at conchango:
http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson/archive/2005/06/11/SSIS_3A00_-Custom-Logging-Using-Event-Handlers.aspx

I see you followed the same development path as I had - generalise the error logging and then the same principle can be applied to all SSIS packages in production. This leaves you with a consistant process log table which can be used for system reporting.
Handy when you want to run a quick report in the morning to check on the status of all the overnight jobs
Post #742473
Posted Friday, June 26, 2009 10:58 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:23 AM
Is there a particular reason you don't use the built-in logging?
Post #742870
Posted Friday, June 26, 2009 11:13 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

It gives u more customization on logging mechanism. Here I mentioned a simple example, u can use ur own ideas for a more complex logging.

Thanks for ur comments
Post #742881
Posted Friday, June 26, 2009 11:33 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:43 PM
Hi Arun, Following your steps exactly as provided doesn't work. The Expressions Editor Query produces a cannot be parsed error message.
Post #742889
Posted Friday, June 26, 2009 11:49 AM
Grasshopper

Hi… I checked the Expression thoroughly and it is working perfectly.
Please check the user variable, may be u didn’t created the user variable named @[User::PackageLogID].
If u have created the above variable perfectly, then please send me the detail of the error message that u got.

Thank u
Post #742899
Posted Friday, June 26, 2009 1:04 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:43 PM
Hello Arun, brilliant! you're 100% correct. I just had to get up to speed on creating user variables. Thanks much Arun! You helped me learn something today!
Post #742936
Posted Saturday, June 27, 2009 9:12 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 1:11 PM
Just a quick question... I don't see where the column called "PrcocedureName" in the error log table is either described or used in the article. Is it just an unused, mispelled artifact?

Other than that, pretty cool article on simple error logging.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #743208
Posted Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:37 AM
Grasshopper

The column named “[PrcocedureName]” can be used to detect the procedure that causes the particular error. But I didn’t implement it in the methodology; the user can implement it in case if they are using some procedures in the ETL process. The details about implementing the same will be posted in my next article.

Thank you
Post #743221
Posted Sunday, June 28, 2009 2:31 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 10:45 AM
Is it possible to add Cointainer Name along with Package Name & Task Name. I think its little bit tircky
Post #743225
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse