Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

How to Post Performance Problems Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, September 17, 2010 10:03 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:37 PM
This article should be republished once every 3-6 months.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #988348
Posted Friday, September 17, 2010 11:57 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:35 AM
I'll go one step further... This article and its T-SQL Equivalent should be sticky noted to the beginning of most of the forum selections.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #988475
Posted Saturday, September 18, 2010 9:52 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 8:26 AM
Thank you for the great article. Can you post a second portion on how a deveoper should truely read a execution plan and how to tune. I am starting to believe this is a rare talent and being able to do this is a very great skill. I spent all day yesterday reading on clustered - (aka b-tree) and non-clusted (Heap) Indexes.

I still have not been able to get any performance gains.
Post #988745
Posted Sunday, September 19, 2010 4:11 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 5:21 AM
Hi Gail, I agree that this is an article that will add much value (if people will just read it) to posting performance and actually any problems on this forum. I think that people need to know how to ask questions.

Manie Verster
Developer
Johannesburg
South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)
Post #988884
Posted Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:40 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:32 PM
Excellent article.

I believe these people are just like me when I became a DBA. You never have seen a 3000 line SP, then you are asked to look into it.

The first key I received was from a fellow developer/DBA. He showed me how he highlighted a couple of lines of the SP, and just ran that part. At that point in time, I never 'knew' that I could debug a SP that way.

That event opened my mind to the possibility there were other ways to debug T-SQL code.

I then 'sought out' more ways to performance tune T-SQL, which lead me to SQLServerCentral.com, free books Red-Gate sponsored, PASS Summit, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks SQL Server community,
Thomas

Thomas LeBlanc, MCITP DBA 2005, 2008 & MCDBA 2000
http://thesmilingdba.blogspot.com/
Post #1436467
Posted Sunday, March 31, 2013 10:06 PM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 12:24 AM
Nice Read...
Post #1437352
Posted Saturday, April 27, 2013 9:41 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 9:36 AM
Brilliant article, enjoyed reading this.

I will also give a link to this to any SQL developers to read and hopefully they will act on it.

qh

SQL 2K acts like a spoilt child - you need to coax it round with lollipops.
Post #1447280
Posted Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:13 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Sunday, September 29, 2013 1:24 AM
Thanks Gail. I'll add my kudos too. One addition that would be very helpful would be examples for presenting executable sample data. Not only does that help the helpers, but I suspect it will force the poster to think a bit more before posting such questions.

Too many times I (or another poster) have had to guess at what the source data looks like and spend time making something up for testing then find out that we have gone in an entirely wrong direction. Why don't users just give us their sample data up front? Some examples of various methods for creating sample data might be a worthy subject.

Good job!

Post #1472801
Posted Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:53 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:39 AM
I would not worry about people complaining on the amount of effort required to provide the information required to solve - for free - their problem. If it is not worth their own time to ask a clear question, it is not worth anyone else's time to work on a free solution.

Excellent article.
Post #1505844
Posted Friday, October 18, 2013 5:27 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, October 18, 2013 5:26 AM
Welcome to http://www.b2cmall.us//

where is the most popular Panthers online shop.

((( http://www.b2cmall.us/ )))

lower price fast shippment with higher quality!!

WE ACCEPT CREDIT CARD /WESTERN UNION PAYMENT
YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!
Post #1506093
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse