Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

No More SOX Expand / Collapse
Author

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 2:00 PM
Steve Jones - Editor (6/1/2009)
This law definitely helps DBAS, or anyone that wants to better manage and control their environment, without such a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants attitude that used to predominate.

That is the biggest benefit that I saw as part of IT. We managed most of our systems this way before SOX and it bit us a number of times. The number of late nights working to fix our own errors and shortcomings were reduced after we ensured that our backups actually worked. Our reporting also became much easier to manage knowing that the data was cleaner and more transparent. Audit trails = Good!
Post #726661
Posted Monday, June 1, 2009 7:48 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:06 AM
The need for SOX is in direct proportion to the amount of idiots (across all departments) who work at your company.

SOX, like any formal methodology is there to babysit people who can't think for themselves.

I think therefore, it has its place.
Post #726662
Posted Monday, June 1, 2009 8:07 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 2:00 PM
I agree that it shouldn't be necessary but unfortunately a great number of the idiots are the ones managing the budgets and making the final calls. SOX has forced alot of these people to slow down and give more thought to how the data is managed instead of just trying to do everything as cheaply and quickly as possible.
Post #726680
Posted Monday, June 1, 2009 8:18 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:19 AM
You know, I hate multiple-window browsers. The previous link I posted just brought you back to SQL Server Central. Sorry...

I edited the previous post and I'm putting the corrected link here, too.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/09/29/mark-to-market-oped-cx_ng_0929gingrich.html

Post #726684
Posted Monday, June 1, 2009 8:40 AM

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, June 2, 2009 7:59 AM
WOW...so the fact that this one piece of legislation has been used by the accountants to musle arounf the entire US enterprise and lead to every decision on process improvement needing bounced off an auditor makes the majority of DBA's happy with it?

I am an Information Architect who not only works on DB design on a cross app basis...but I also have to work with the Business Analysts and end users on a continuous (more than daily) basis. I can tell you this single piece of handy work by the US congress has done more to hamstring our productivity than just about anything I can think of. It single handedly lowered our cost of business to from several points lower than anywhere else in the world, to higher than everywhere in the previously high cost regions of europe.

gesh...

-Red Cat
Post #726700
Posted Monday, June 1, 2009 8:59 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:05 AM
I agree with Red Cat. I have experienced the inefficiency and stupidity of inapplicable rules myself. And just wait until we get Cap & Trade, VAT and all the other wonderful things Congress has in store for us. Maybe, if SOX is overturned they won't be able to get away with it.
Post #726724
Posted Monday, June 1, 2009 9:00 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:07 AM
The need for better processes and controlls over things is a good goal, and SOX was good intentioned legislation. However, having worked before at a company that went through a SOX audit, I can tell you the implementation of that intent is what caused the problems that give SOX a bad reputation. There were a number of such audits, including the one at the company I worked at, that seemed to turn more into witch hunts.
Post #726725
Posted Monday, June 1, 2009 9:26 AM
Hall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 8:05 AM
Finally in print - Thanks Steve - ISO9001 ! (did my first one over 15 years ago)

If you have ISO9001 then SOX is kind of dumb (although Jeff has lots of great reasons for it that I have experienced and agree with !)

If you are not ISO9001 certified then yeah you better get SOX for your own good.

I have been in ISO9001 shops, HIPPA shops and now I am in a partial SOX/non-SOX environment (we do not have ISO9001). So by my own words - we do need it !

Regards
Rudy Komacsar
Senior Database Administrator

"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."
Post #726750
Posted Monday, June 1, 2009 6:55 PM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:35 PM
Jeff Moden (5/31/2009)
"Its the Law"

A four word reason "It's the law".

I soooo dislike misuse of the apostrophe in possessive case, particularly of the verb "to be".

Probably a left over attitude from misuse of a comma causing a microcode load failure in the 308x.

Peter Edmunds ex-Geek
Post #727079
Posted Monday, June 1, 2009 7:16 PM

Valued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:35 PM
Taking a less nit-picking and more productive approach though...

Red Cat (6/1/2009)
[...] has done more to hamstring our productivity than just about anything I can think of [...]

I'm another who has preferred to read the various extant summaries rather than the full legislation, only like getting involved in that level of far too convoluted detail when it rreeaallyy affects me personally.

But, what's the fundamental problem with applying auditable changes to a data structure?

Oh.

Money.

Of course.

If we don't have to spend money in order to ensure that we don't produce a six fingered, three eared, five eyed transgenic freak, than we should do just that.

Yep, that's it, produce any number of six fingered, three eared, five eyed transgenic freaks, as long as it makes us more money than it costs us in this financial year.

Peter Edmunds ex-Geek
Post #727083
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse