Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Database Modeling and Diagrams with SQL Server 2008 Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:11 PM
@ChrisHarshman It is possible to 'export' the Database Diagram "data" to survive rebuilds or apply to different instances. I first found a script to do that back on SQL Server 2000, which I updated myself for 2005 and then 2008.

ScriptDiagram2005
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/ScriptDiagram2005.aspx

ScriptDiagram2008
http://conceptdevelopment.net/Database/ScriptDiagram2008/

We are doing continuous integration with our database (using RedGate) and use the above to save each Diagram to a file and re-create each time the database is "built from scripts".

Note that the diagram data contains 'pointers' to your schema objects -- if you re-create a Diagram on a database instance that is missing some of the tables then they naturally disappear from the diagram (this has occasionally confused people using these scripts).

Post #720232
Posted Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:45 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, February 18, 2013 10:46 AM
Another handy way to export diagrams from any version of SQL Server is to "print" to a PDF, using a tool such as PDFCreator (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/).
Post #720751
Posted Wednesday, May 20, 2009 11:26 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:07 AM
Cdunn, thanks for the info! I'll have to check that out.
Post #720775
Posted Wednesday, May 20, 2009 11:58 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:28 PM
Now the DD print is nice. But I also want to print Data Dictionary. I have defined the extended property "Description" for each table. I also entered the Description for each table column. How can I export/print these table/column descriptions to a nice Data Dictionary document?
Post #720800
Posted Friday, May 22, 2009 6:30 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, May 30, 2011 8:35 PM
Congratulations!!!

I mean to the Author of the article Wagner Crevelini, which he has the same last name that I Am of the Argentinean republic and my grandfathers have to me counted who are relatives in the United States, distant cousins perhaps.¶Good, greeting kindly and thanks to share your knowledge.¶It salutes kindly, a friend of the south.

Post #722002
Posted Monday, July 06, 2009 7:20 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, July 06, 2009 7:15 AM
Iam connecting to a remote sql server database and when I right click on Database Diagrams I don't get the Create Diagram option. Is it possible that they have disabled the creation of Diagrams from within Management Studio.

PS Iam using Sql Server 2008 (Enterprise) Management Studio.

Post #747700
Posted Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:03 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:59 PM
Can you get the data diagran to use views
Post #854814
Posted Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:38 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 4:18 PM
You have a diagram of the involved tables in View Designer.
Post #854825
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse