Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Maximum instances supported by SQL Server 2008 Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:56 PM
I was thrown off too. The documentation is inconsistent.

At first I found the capacity limitations page that indicates 50 instances on a stand-alone server for all SQL Server editions except for Workgroup. Workgroup supports a maximum of 16 instances per computer.

Since this didn't match any of the answers I did a little more digging and found the following link that indicates 50 for Enterprise, and 16 for Standard and other editions.

[url=http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions-compare.aspx][/url]

I lucked out getting the right answer only because 50 and 50 wasn't one of the choices. Anyone even have this many instances installed to know the true answer?

Post #718992
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009 6:56 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:12 PM
The page below (under "Scalability & Performance") gives 50 for Enterprise and 16 for Standard edition:

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions-compare.aspx

I had seen the comparison above and got the question right. However, unless I'm missing something, this does seem to contradict the page referenced by the answer's explanation (from the BOL) at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143432.aspx
Post #719007
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009 7:17 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 4:02 PM
craigpessano (5/18/2009)
I did a little more digging and found the following link that indicates 50 for Enterprise, and 16 for Standard and other editions.

Good catch! (Goes for Noel too).

I'll ping some of my contacts within Microsoft to see if I can come up with the definitive answer as to which version of their own documentation is correct.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #719032
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009 7:43 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:28 PM
Pending a definitive answer, I have left things alone for now.

Once I have one, I'll adjust the question and account for 64bit as well, which just lists 50 instances.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #719057
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009 8:01 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, May 5, 2010 10:47 PM
I have a comparison chart of Enterproise and Standard edition which also says that the number of instances supported are 50 and 16 respectively.
Who can confirm this?
Post #719077
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009 8:13 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:05 PM
MSDN States 50 and 16: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx

Post #719096
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009 8:36 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 12:44 PM

How can we be expected to know what the right answer is when Microsoft is reporting different answers?

Once again, there's your evidence that bigger is not always better.

Alvin Ramard
Memphis PASS Chapter

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.
Post #719127
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009 8:57 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:28 PM
It's harder to maintain things as they grow, and this is a good example. BOL is built by a team, and my guess is someone copied the documentation from 2005, thinking that it hadn't changed. Someone else changed docs, and who knows what was the final marketing/technical decision.

I will award back all points since the question was misworded once I have a good answer from MS.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #719150
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009 10:05 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 2:51 PM
Alright - who wants to volunteer to go and install 50 instances this morning and see what happens? Please name one after me :D
Post #719216
Posted Monday, May 18, 2009 10:08 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 12:44 PM
Chad Crawford (5/18/2009)
Alright - who wants to volunteer to go and install 50 instances this morning and see what happens? Please name one after me :D

You mean: "Who wants to try and install as many instances of the Standard Edition as possible?"

:)

Alvin Ramard
Memphis PASS Chapter

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.
Post #719219
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse