Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345»»»

From the Real World: On Call Again Expand / Collapse
Author

Keeper of the Duck

Keeper of the Duck

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 8:57 AM
For those who have an issue with the article, think of it as a great learning tool. When you get a young or inexperienced DBA in, sit him or her down with this article. Let that person know that it's a good thing this was an April Fool's joke, because stuff like this happens and when it does, people get fired. Therefore, they need to check up on these sorts of things. The devil is in the details. And when they're done reading this article, have them read this blog post that reinforces a details-oriented mentality:

Who Thinks Like Database Professionals?

K. Brian Kelley, CISA, MCSE, Security+, MVP - SQL Server
Regular Columnist (Security), SQLServerCentral.com
Author of Introduction to SQL Server: Basic Skills for Any SQL Server User
| Professional Development blog | Technical Blog | LinkedIn | Twitter
Post #688086
Posted Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:31 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:56 PM
Duran (4/1/2009)
Hey we all have good senses of humour, but I think those who found this funny are the kind of people that still find series one of 'Friends' funny.

That's the problem with thinking. I thought the article was a good joke. I may have watched Friends, but it wasn't because i thought it was all that funny. I watched it with my wife. It had its moments, but otherwise was some what dull, just like Seinfeld.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #688097
Posted Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:54 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, January 6, 2014 4:34 PM
Great Read you got me at the end. :)

For those that don't have time and it's not funny I would suggest avoid reading on the web today as much of it is April fools jokes. Oh and even dba's that don't have time need 1 day out of the year to laugh.

pat
Post #688124
Posted Wednesday, April 1, 2009 10:50 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:09 PM
Back before the dotcom bubble burst, the old Visual Basic Programmer's Journal had a hilarious story in their magazine about a hot new startup, eMeringue. This was a service where you go online and order the meringue topping for your pie, then they deliver it by overnight mail. It had photos of a guy in a chef's hat making the meringue on a plate, and ended with photos of a customer delightedly opening the box and sliding the meringue on top of a pie. It detailed all the technology used in the web site and backoffice ordering software. Since there were other, equally ridiculous startup premises around, I remember reading the whole thing with a growing sense of disbelief. Who in their right mind would a) buy a meringue on line; and b) fund a business that sells meringue online? I remember thinking, "It's just sugar and eggs!" And there was no, "April Fool" line at the end. You had to wait until the next issue where they 'fessed up, but if it sounded crazy and was in the April issue, that was probably it.

There is no "i" in team, but idiot has two.
Post #688179
Posted Wednesday, April 1, 2009 11:34 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:11 AM
WWHHOOOOAAAA!!! Now lets not get carried away here! Putting Friends anywhere NEAR Seinfeld is just absurd and unjust!
Post #688225
Posted Wednesday, April 1, 2009 11:40 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:56 PM
Duran (4/1/2009)
WWHHOOOOAAAA!!! Now lets not get carried away here! Putting Friends anywhere NEAR Seinfeld is just absurd and unjust!

You're right, it isn't fair to "Friends", sorry.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #688229
Posted Wednesday, April 1, 2009 2:13 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, September 8, 2014 9:03 AM
Personally, I think April fools jokes are sort of tired and immature. But if you are going to do one, there is a right way and a wrong way. Don't leave your reader feeling like a sucker.

Here is one that I think was done right:

http://kendalvandyke.blogspot.com/2009/04/undocumented-trace-flag-improves.html

TJayBelt's left enough people feeling like suckers that I think you could say it was not done right. It was way too straight and then at the end it was not funny or clever, so I just felt played.

Blog |
Twitter | LinkedIn

Post #688343
Posted Wednesday, April 1, 2009 2:40 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Sunday, September 14, 2014 7:30 PM
it's great that you have got lot of time...JK
Post #688375
Posted Wednesday, April 1, 2009 3:53 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:43 AM
Yeah, you had me going. I was feeling bad for you, man. I thought I had worked with that TechDBA.

Forget all that moaning.

Thanks for the prank.

Jeff

Post #688444
Posted Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:03 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 4:08 PM
Not cool.

Post #688488
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse