Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Are We Wasting Too Much Time Social Networking? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, January 10, 2014 7:20 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Are We Wasting Too Much Time Social Networking?

Brad M. McGehee
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Director of DBA Education, Red Gate Software
www.bradmcgehee.com
Post #685935
Posted Monday, March 30, 2009 4:17 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:04 PM
I appreciate the effort and sharing on SN. I have been thinking in what ways could it be applicable to our company.

But I see there is a psychological balance to be maintained, the onus on the user.

Unlike instant messaging which I banned, I am still open to SN. Using an email address is difficult these days, what with spam and targeted email attacks.

Besides, it is also a nightmare to create, maintain and secure a public website within the company's DMZ. The ones who can budget a $200,000 firewall are the ones whose business is really the Net.
Post #685943
Posted Monday, March 30, 2009 4:45 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:36 AM
Technology related professionals are often with less chances to go to meet some one at home and to regularly meet or call old colleagues and class fellows dispersed at various parts of world. I found such social networks useful to keep in touch with old colleagues and class fellows. Helps to be in touch and spread your network thus chances to learn and collaborate. I think we should not abandon social netwroks even at cost of some time spend on it.

=============================================================
Atif Shehzad
DBA
Zin Technologies
Post #685959
Posted Monday, March 30, 2009 4:55 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 12:15 PM
Brad,
Great editorial!

When I find I'm spending too much time on it, I cut back. I try to limit it to 10 mins a day.
I think social networking is good but you need a balance!

Mark
Post #685964
Posted Monday, March 30, 2009 5:15 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:14 AM
I think the problem is that the tools make it easy to get immersed in the "social" more than the networking. There's always a social/people aspect of networking, but I agree only so many hours in the week and social networking takes time away from something else.

I'm curious about how much/why LinkedIn became a burden?

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #685971
Posted Monday, March 30, 2009 6:22 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:44 AM
Yeah.
Post #686008
Posted Monday, March 30, 2009 6:24 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:20 PM
I'm on LinkedIn, Plaxo & Facebook, but I probably don't open them more than once a week at the most and then for only a few minutes. Twitter on the other hand... that got out of control for a little while. Now I'm only opening it for a few minutes each day. I've found it very useful when I have a quick technical question, but trying to haunt the place to see if others have technical questions you can help with just takes WAY too much time.

It's a tough balance. I want to maintain my contacts, but I kind of want to keep my job too. The social stuff can and will suffer because of that.

Good editorial.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #686010
Posted Monday, March 30, 2009 6:28 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, May 11, 2012 5:40 AM
It depends on Whether we need SQL networking or Social Networking..I use it as SQL Networking when I am in the office and Social Networking when at home.

Vivek
Post #686013
Posted Monday, March 30, 2009 6:37 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 10:03 AM
I'm on linked in, but just use it as an address book to keep up with people. It doesn't take too much time. As far as facebook and twitter, I refuse to use them because of the time overhead they require.
Post #686020
Posted Monday, March 30, 2009 6:41 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 09, 2014 4:10 PM
Fortunately, this is a non-issue. I have never had any sort of desire to engage in social networking, and quite honestly I shudder at the thought of it.
Post #686029
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse