Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SQL Files open in a new SSMS instance Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 2:51 PM
When I double click on a .sql file, it starts up SSMS and loads my file. When I click on a second file, I'd like it to open in the SSMS that is currently running. Right now, it's not doing that. Anyone know where I can go to make the change? Thanks!

Thanks,
Chad
Post #669665
Posted Friday, March 6, 2009 1:41 PM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Today @ 8:36 AM
Any reason why you want to do this? As new SSMS costs more memory than a new tab in existing SSMS

SQLServerNewbie

MCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
Post #670638
Posted Friday, March 6, 2009 5:13 PM

SSCrazy

Yes, that is what I would like to do - have it open in the SSMS that is already running. Right now it opens a new SSMS everytime I double-click a .sql file and it is much more difficult to manage my open files that way - particularly when they are related in some way. It is much easier to go down a list of tabs than have to ALT-TAB over. I've done some research and found people who have it working that way, I'm not sure why mine isn't... I can get it to work by dragging from Explorer to SSMS, but old habit die hard, and I keep forgetting.

Thanks,
Chad
Post #670755
Posted Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:51 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:45 AM
Have you found a solution to this issue?
Post #948851
Posted Monday, July 12, 2010 8:40 AM

SSCrazy

No, but I'm getting more accustomed to dragging the file into the window. I guess after doing it for a year it starts to become second nature. If you found something let me know, but I'm almost acclimated and switching now might be difficult.

Chad
Post #950805
Posted Monday, July 12, 2010 11:10 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:41 AM
I've had the same problem; I assume it is normal behaviour when starting SSMS that way.

What I do is open SSMS first, and let it connect to the server. Once it's done that, you can double-click on SQL files and they'll all open in separate tabs in the one SSMS instance.
Post #950916
Posted Thursday, August 5, 2010 5:03 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:59 AM
I had the same problem. What worked for me was to change a certain registry key.

For A solution see:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1726577/sql-management-studio-wont-open-scripts-on-double-click

However, instead of replacing /dde by "%1" I just added (a space and) "%1" at the end.

Leo
Post #964137
Posted Thursday, August 5, 2010 6:00 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:40 AM
Chad Crawford (3/6/2009)
Yes, that is what I would like to do - have it open in the SSMS that is already running. Right now it opens a new SSMS everytime I double-click a .sql file and it is much more difficult to manage my open files that way - particularly when they are related in some way. It is much easier to go down a list of tabs than have to ALT-TAB over. I've done some research and found people who have it working that way, I'm not sure why mine isn't... I can get it to work by dragging from Explorer to SSMS, but old habit die hard, and I keep forgetting.

Thanks,
Chad

My system works as you want it to.

What happens when you double-click a file in Explorer is controlled by the following registry keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sqlwb.sql.9.0
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sql

On my system these keys are configured as follows:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sql]
"PerceivedType"="text"
@="sqlwb.sql.9.0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sql\PersistentHandler]
@="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sqlwb.sql.9.0]
@="Microsoft SQL Server Query File"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sqlwb.sql.9.0\DefaultIcon]
@="c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft SQL Server\\100\\Tools\\Binn\\VSShell\\Common7\\IDE\\ssms.exe,-10000"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sqlwb.sql.9.0\Shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sqlwb.sql.9.0\Shell\Open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sqlwb.sql.9.0\Shell\Open\Command]
@="\"c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft SQL Server\\100\\Tools\\Binn\\VSShell\\Common7\\IDE\\ssms.exe\" /dde"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sqlwb.sql.9.0\Shell\Open\ddeexec]
@="Open(\"%1\")"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sqlwb.sql.9.0\Shell\Open\ddeexec\application]
@="sqlwb.9.0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sqlwb.sql.9.0\Shell\Open\ddeexec\topic]
@="system"

Post #964173
Posted Tuesday, July 8, 2014 9:11 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:10 AM
I am having the same problem with SSMS 2012. Unfortunately, sqlwb.sql.9.0 is not for SSMS 2012 so the above will not work.

Does anyone have a solution for SSMS 2012?

Post #1590409
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse