Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Look at the size of my BCHR Expand / Collapse
Author
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:22 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Look at the size of my BCHR
Post #633777
Posted Friday, January 9, 2009 2:23 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 10:08 PM
BWAA-HAAA!!! "I'll show you mine if you show me yours."

I've never looked, but I'm just betting that the BCHR is nearly 100% for cursors... ;)

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #633892
Posted Friday, January 9, 2009 2:55 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, October 3, 2014 2:23 AM
I have rarely seen anything below 99%, so I don’t pay much attention to it.

I look more at Average Page Life Expectancy and Page Reads/Sec. These seem to be more volatile and let you know how much thrashing of data pages in and out of memory the server is doing and how much of a bottleneck getting data from disk is.

Post #633923
Posted Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:14 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 6:53 PM
I've honestly stopped checking this at many servers since they're usually > 90%. However I have seen it in the 80s or lower and more memory almost always solves this and gives a little boost.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #634192
Posted Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:32 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Saturday, October 18, 2014 5:21 PM
well its one of the default performance counters in MOM, which raises a critical alert if it goes below 90% for more than 15 mins (by default) so I guess MS still consider it an indicator of performance.

For myself i admit its nice to see it up high and its something I track as part of memory monitoring but I would only really worry about it if it was ALWAYS low.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #634195
Posted Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:50 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:57 AM
Hi,

Since not all memory requests will reflect in the counter you could have > 90% and still have memory issues (and with issues I don't mean low on memory; over consumption is more often the case :P).

But as Steve pointed out, if you encounter a low BCHR and add some memory, there will usually be a performance boost whereas a high number doesn't necessearily mean all is well.

There could be memory issues elsewhere in the bufferpool - anything that goes through the Memory Broker for instance (large memory requests, queries with sort/hash operators, memory for parallel plans etc.) or in the memory area formerly known as mem_to_leave.

I tend to ignore it completely when it's high.

/Elisabeth

elisabeth@sqlserverland.com
MCITP | MCT
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/elisabeth_redei/
http://linkedin.com/in/elisabethredei
Post #634302
Posted Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:39 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 9:46 AM
By itself it is not a key indicator, but it can be an important clue if you are having performance issues.

Kate The Great
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, where will you find time to do it again?
Post #634384
Posted Monday, January 12, 2009 1:56 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:16 AM
I dont use it. I measure the time/ workload it takes to perform different tasks that is prio.
Post #634508
Posted Monday, January 12, 2009 9:20 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
I've never bothered with it. Maybe I should, but I never have.

I've found tracking runtime on queries to be much more useful to me in performance tuning.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #634779
Posted Monday, January 12, 2009 9:51 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 6:53 PM
Interesting you've never used it. I use this as a first glance when I get a complaint about a new server. It's a thumb-sketch to see if this is grossly out of whack.

Once I'm familiar with a server, I'd probably never look at it again.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #634805
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse