Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,5174,5184,5194,5204,521»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:35 AM
We just (as in about 20 minutes ago) had another decent storm roll through. At least this one didn't last very long, but I'm hearing there are already some surface streets flooded. Everything is saturated now, so it doesn't take much. And they're forecasting more rain tonight. Well, it'll be an interesting drive home.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1602451
Posted Tuesday, August 12, 2014 2:01 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 9:51 AM
More than a few reasons why the top of the hills were considered the best real estate way back when. I'm glad to hear everyone so far caught in that mess is doing well. Any of the threadizens from that area that haven't been heard from yet? I'm afraid I don't keep track of who's from where (except for maybe their thought processes, but that's beause I'm from the Land of Confusions there...).

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1602456
Posted Tuesday, August 12, 2014 2:09 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:15 PM
Evil Kraig F (8/12/2014)
More than a few reasons why the top of the hills were considered the best real estate way back when. I'm glad to hear everyone so far caught in that mess is doing well. Any of the threadizens from that area that haven't been heard from yet? I'm afraid I don't keep track of who's from where (except for maybe their thought processes, but that's beause I'm from the Land of Confusions there...).

IIRC, Jeff Moden is from that area, too.

Since I used to work (or to re-phrase it, had repeating 6-week "service tasks") in Northern Michigan, it's a special/weird feeling I have right now.
I've been to Warren several times...

I hope everybody is doing as well as the situation allows and the damages are minor or at least reapairable!!

I'm wishing all the best to the folks up there!!

Lutz
A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question
How to post performance related questions
Links for Tally Table , Cross Tabs and Dynamic Cross Tabs , Delimited Split Function
Post #1602462
Posted Tuesday, August 12, 2014 2:31 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 8:31 AM
I'd love some rain. It's getting towards the end of winter here and it is soooo dry.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1602477
Posted Tuesday, August 12, 2014 2:38 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:49 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/12/2014)
Koen Verbeeck (8/11/2014)
GilaMonster (8/11/2014)
LutzM (8/10/2014)
b) block that spammer (mominbd) and all its variations using a filter

Maybe a throttle on posting new threads. A human can't post multiple threads in a very short time, the bots can (this mornings were around a minute apart)
1 minute between 1st and 2nd threads, 2 minutes between 2nd and 3rd, etc. Like with increasing delays for failed logins (which is recommended a security idea), it's unlikely to bother real users (other than the ones cross posting their stuff everywhere).

+1 seems effective.

I have sent some of these ideas to our developers. Fingers are crossed they'll do something.

Quick thought, how about a similar thing as sudo in linux, the credentials are asserted and then it keeps alive while there is a certain frequency in activity, once beyond the pre-set interval, one has to re-authenticate. Could work with captia/points/history. Normally the "trusted regulars" don't spawn many threads, nubees might cross-post but nothing serious so it seems to be quite straight forward.
Post #1602482
Posted Tuesday, August 12, 2014 5:12 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:55 PM
Howz about we just track the buggers down and take them out for a nice pork chop dinner, Moden style? It might also decrease the surface area of the shallow end of the gene pool.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1602522
Posted Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:00 PM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:49 PM
Jeff Moden (8/12/2014)
Howz about we just track the buggers down and take them out for a nice pork chop dinner, Moden style? It might also decrease the surface area of the shallow end of the gene pool.

Sounds like the perfect Menu for the occasion
Post #1602550
Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2014 1:52 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 5:20 AM
Ed and Jason,

Some serious rain there. Glad to hear you are all OK.

Rodders...

Post #1602606
Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:07 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:35 AM
rodjkidd (8/13/2014)
Ed and Jason,

Rodders...

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone. Things are starting to dry out around here; there's only one freeway that's still closed due to about 13 feet of water. I heard that Long Island, NY is being hit by the same system today.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1602651
Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:12 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 5:20 AM
Ed Wagner (8/13/2014)
rodjkidd (8/13/2014)
Ed and Jason,

Rodders...

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone. Things are starting to dry out around here; there's only one freeway that's still closed due to about 13 feet of water. I heard that Long Island, NY is being hit by the same system today.

Good news!

Now if you could just collect some of that water in buckets and send them to Gail...

Rodders...

Post #1602656
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,5174,5184,5194,5204,521»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse