Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,3984,3994,4004,4014,402»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:22 AM
Ed Wagner (5/23/2014)
Grant Fritchey (5/23/2014)
BWFC (5/23/2014)
Does anybody else feel a bit frustrated when there is no response from the OP after you post an answer to a question? I know that this is a global site and people work all kinds of hours and shifts but it would be nice to have had some kind of reply after a couple of days. Even if this reply is, 'what you suggested doesn't work. Have you got any other ideas?' That would be better than nothing. I'd like to think that the OP hasn't come back because my answer was exactly what they wanted and nothing further needed to be said, in this case a thank you would be appreciated.

Better ignored than argued with incorrectly. Or worse, the "yeah, but we can't change anything, anywhere, anytime, now how do I fix it" responses.
You sure hit the nail on the head there. "But why is a GUID bigger than an integer?"

Cause the integer fragments more when called nonsequentially or something.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of:
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1574047
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 8:15 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:28 PM
Jeff Moden (5/23/2014)
BWFC (5/23/2014)
Ed Wagner (5/23/2014)
Koen Verbeeck (5/23/2014)
BWFC (5/23/2014)
Does anybody else feel a bit frustrated when there is no response from the OP after you post an answer to a question? I know that this is a global site and people work all kinds of hours and shifts but it would be nice to have had some kind of reply after a couple of days. Even if this reply is, 'what you suggested doesn't work. Have you got any other ideas?' That would be better than nothing. I'd like to think that the OP hasn't come back because my answer was exactly what they wanted and nothing further needed to be said, in this case a thank you would be appreciated.

It is frustrating, but a sad part of our daily routines here at SSC
Fortunately there is also a number of OPs who communicate their gratitude, and that makes it all worthwhile.
I agree completely. I find I also learn a lot by reading the solutions others have posted. There's some interesting stuff out there I haven't played with at all.

I suppose it's because I'm only now becoming confident enough to answer questions posed by others that I find it a bit frustrating when I don't get a reply. It would be good to have somebody say 'it worked, thank you' so I know I was right. Equally, if it didn't work I'd be able to go back and look again at what I did.

Ed, you are definitely right about the other answers. Every day I see things that I want to explore.

I've always said that you won't find a better source of real life problem to solve anywhere in the world. Unfortunately, that also means dealing with real life people. As in real life, some are idiots, some are rude, some are "ring knockers", some are bullies, some are just unable to say "thanks" and, many times, it's just because of cultural differences. There are also people that are flat out wrong. While that may seem like a bad thing, it's absolutely not because that's what we all deal with every day at work. If you have the right attitude (it sometimes IS a thankless job but we still do things right), it'll actually make you stronger and a better person at work and maybe even make it so you enjoy your work more. That's not to say that all people are like that and, what I've personally found, is that most people are appreciative of any help they can get.

The side bar to it all (and I never expect it... it just seems to happen) is that you'll get back much more than you could ever put into answering such questions. You've not only given yourself an excuse to possibly research and solve a real life problem you may not have seen before, you'll sharpen your skills in code and in effectively communicating with others, learn from the posting of others where you may not have even looked at such a problem before, and make some incredible professional and personal friendships that will actually last you a lifetime. Done right, you'll also be building your "brand" (which Steve Jones will remind us is incredibly important for our careers) and, someday in the future during a phone interview for a new job, you'll be able to say "Google me" with a great amount of pride. The key is to not let that pride go to your head on the boards or at work. Humility, knowledge, skill (and, yes, they are different), the "right attitude", and the ability to effectively communicate methods and techniques are things that I look for when I interview people for senior positions and I believe that's the underlying criteria that most good employers look for in candidates.

Ah... sorry... didn't mean to get on the soapbox about all that but it is what I believe and I also believe that most of the heavy hitters on this and other forums are made of the same stuff.

As "Red-Green" would say, "We're all in this together and I'm pullin' for ya."
Very well put on several points, Jeff. And you're right. On another note, why am I not surprised that you know what "quando omni flunkus moritaki" is?

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1574050
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 8:21 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:27 AM
Ed Wagner (5/23/2014)
Jeff Moden (5/23/2014)
BWFC (5/23/2014)
Ed Wagner (5/23/2014)
Koen Verbeeck (5/23/2014)
BWFC (5/23/2014)

It is frustrating, but a sad part of our daily routines here at SSC
Fortunately there is also a number of OPs who communicate their gratitude, and that makes it all worthwhile.
I agree completely. I find I also learn a lot by reading the solutions others have posted. There's some interesting stuff out there I haven't played with at all.

I suppose it's because I'm only now becoming confident enough to answer questions posed by others that I find it a bit frustrating when I don't get a reply. It would be good to have somebody say 'it worked, thank you' so I know I was right. Equally, if it didn't work I'd be able to go back and look again at what I did.

Ed, you are definitely right about the other answers. Every day I see things that I want to explore.

I've always said that you won't find a better source of real life problem to solve anywhere in the world. Unfortunately, that also means dealing with real life people. As in real life, some are idiots, some are rude, some are "ring knockers", some are bullies, some are just unable to say "thanks" and, many times, it's just because of cultural differences. There are also people that are flat out wrong. While that may seem like a bad thing, it's absolutely not because that's what we all deal with every day at work. If you have the right attitude (it sometimes IS a thankless job but we still do things right), it'll actually make you stronger and a better person at work and maybe even make it so you enjoy your work more. That's not to say that all people are like that and, what I've personally found, is that most people are appreciative of any help they can get.

The side bar to it all (and I never expect it... it just seems to happen) is that you'll get back much more than you could ever put into answering such questions. You've not only given yourself an excuse to possibly research and solve a real life problem you may not have seen before, you'll sharpen your skills in code and in effectively communicating with others, learn from the posting of others where you may not have even looked at such a problem before, and make some incredible professional and personal friendships that will actually last you a lifetime. Done right, you'll also be building your "brand" (which Steve Jones will remind us is incredibly important for our careers) and, someday in the future during a phone interview for a new job, you'll be able to say "Google me" with a great amount of pride. The key is to not let that pride go to your head on the boards or at work. Humility, knowledge, skill (and, yes, they are different), the "right attitude", and the ability to effectively communicate methods and techniques are things that I look for when I interview people for senior positions and I believe that's the underlying criteria that most good employers look for in candidates.

Ah... sorry... didn't mean to get on the soapbox about all that but it is what I believe and I also believe that most of the heavy hitters on this and other forums are made of the same stuff.

As "Red-Green" would say, "We're all in this together and I'm pullin' for ya."
Very well put on several points, Jeff. And you're right. On another note, why am I not surprised that you know what "quando omni flunkus moritaki" is?

BWAAAA-HAAAA!!!! "Carpe Ductum!" my friend!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1574055
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 8:26 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 1:14 PM
SQLRNNR (5/23/2014)
GilaMonster (5/23/2014)
Steve, can anything be done about shrills like this:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1573887.aspx

He's posting on thread after thread on damaged DBs, missing backups, etc, usually talking garbage and with links to that DB recovery software.

Looks like it has been blown away. Dang it.

If you're curious, it was referencing this www.sqlrecoverysoftware.net/blog/sql-database-in-recovery-mode.html (very intentionally not created as a link)

For homework, see how many errors you can find in that article

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1574059
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 8:30 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:20 PM
GilaMonster (5/23/2014)
SQLRNNR (5/23/2014)
GilaMonster (5/23/2014)
Steve, can anything be done about shrills like this:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1573887.aspx

He's posting on thread after thread on damaged DBs, missing backups, etc, usually talking garbage and with links to that DB recovery software.

Looks like it has been blown away. Dang it.

If you're curious, it was referencing this www.sqlrecoverysoftware.net/blog/sql-database-in-recovery-mode.html (very intentionally not created as a link)

For homework, see how many errors you can find in that article

K, I've seen that link. I actually followed it once and found it to be pitiful. Since then I have been reporting those links as spam.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1574061
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 9:32 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 10:16 AM
BWFC (5/23/2014)

Yes, it is frustrating at times but as Gail said you do get used to it. What is also frustrating, though, is when an OP does come back and says 'what you suggested doesn't work. Have you got any other ideas?' but doesn't bother to tell you why your suggestion didn't work.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1574101
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 9:57 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:26 PM
Grant Fritchey (5/23/2014)
BWFC (5/23/2014)

Better ignored than argued with incorrectly. Or worse, the "yeah, but we can't change anything, anywhere, anytime, now how do I fix it" responses.

Oh goodness. I definitely fall into that second camp there to a degree, since I've worked with nothing but vendor software so far . I know I can't really make many changes to what the vendor nonsense does, but when I've asked for help with what I CAN change, the responses here have been great, and they've done a lot of good.

Thanks for all the help you all put out! I know it can be frustrating (heck, even I get frustrated reading some of the posts I've seen here, and I can't even begin to help!), but I'm sure there's tons of people that appreciate the effort, myself definitely included .

Oh, and if I've fallen into the trap of being less than appreciative of anyone's assistance, please feel free to whap me on the head a good few times

-
Post #1574130
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 10:19 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:35 PM
Lynn Pettis (5/23/2014)
BWFC (5/23/2014)

Yes, it is frustrating at times but as Gail said you do get used to it. What is also frustrating, though, is when an OP does come back and says 'what you suggested doesn't work. Have you got any other ideas?' but doesn't bother to tell you why your suggestion didn't work.

Or does tell you why it doesn't work, demonstrating that his earlier posts have been utterly misleading as to what he was trying to do.

Tom
Post #1574137
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 1:00 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:11 PM
BWFC (5/23/2014)

Yes, but it's what it is. They may post on STackOverflow as well and get an answer (or anywhere else). They may figure it out. They may be intimidated by responses.

Ultimately, I do what I can, help where I can, cease worrying about what I cannot control.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1574214
Posted Friday, May 23, 2014 1:02 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:05 PM
LOL. Apparently I need to endorse my SSC friends more on LinkedIn.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)

Post Attachments 
endorsments.png (563 views, 55.85 KB)
Post #1574216
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,3984,3994,4004,4014,402»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse