Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,3654,3664,3674,3684,369»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 9:10 AM
I think I have finally officially lost my marbles. In addition to coaching 2 soccer teams, playing in 2 adult leagues and being the Cubmaster for my son's sub scout pack I have now signed up to play in a third league. I now have soccer games Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. First game for the Friday league is tonight. Pretty excited about this one. This is on super nice fields at a brand new soccer complex. And being night games is always fun playing under the lights.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1558634
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 1:35 PM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 11:35 AM
Sean Lange (4/4/2014)
I think I have finally officially lost my marbles. In addition to coaching 2 soccer teams, playing in 2 adult leagues and being the Cubmaster for my son's sub scout pack I have now signed up to play in a third league. I now have soccer games Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. First game for the Friday league is tonight. Pretty excited about this one. This is on super nice fields at a brand new soccer complex. And being night games is always fun playing under the lights.

Well, it sounds like you definitely have a full schedule. It sounds pretty cool, so have fun tonight under the bright lights. I hope you have better weather for it than we do here in Michigan.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1558635
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 1:47 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Ed Wagner (4/4/2014)
Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

Well, it sounds like you definitely have a full schedule. It sounds pretty cool, so have fun tonight under the bright lights. I hope you have better weather for it than we do here in Michigan.

Thanks. It is kind of cold here today. 50 but the windchill says it is 27. BRR!!!! We are definitely a soccer family. By the end of the weekend the boys and I will have played in 6 games. And Sporting KC is home tomorrow so my oldest and I will be watching a game too. Sheesh!!! I think I need to seek some professional help.

Looks like you are supposed to get snow tonight or even now up North??? Yuck!!!

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Post #1558638
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 1:52 PM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Today @ 1:54 PM
Ed Wagner (4/4/2014)
Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

10" of fresh white stuff here.
Winter that just won't end.
Sean should post a picture of the field.
I'm not sure I can remember what grass looks like.
Post #1558639
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 2:16 PM

SSChampion

Greg Edwards-268690 (4/4/2014)
Ed Wagner (4/4/2014)
Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

10" of fresh white stuff here.
Winter that just won't end.
Sean should post a picture of the field.
I'm not sure I can remember what grass looks like.

Wow!!! I will stop complaining that winter won't end here. You have it far worse than I do.

I will get a shot of the field tonight and post it.

Post #1558646
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 2:27 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 11:09 AM
Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

That's it Sean, rub it in. I miss being out there on the pitch as it is, but hearing about all the soccer you will get to play is more than enough!

Have fun and stay safe out there!

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1558650
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 3:07 PM

SSChampion

Lynn Pettis (4/4/2014)
Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

That's it Sean, rub it in. I miss being out there on the pitch as it is, but hearing about all the soccer you will get to play is more than enough!

Surely you have been able to find a game out there in the sand right after your 12 hours shift. When you come back to the states maybe you can make a trip through Kansas City. We can find a way to get you in as a sub.

Post #1558661
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 3:20 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:45 AM
Sean Lange (4/4/2014)
Greg Edwards-268690 (4/4/2014)
SQLRNNR (4/4/2014)
Sean Lange (4/4/2014)
I usually limit the list to two choices: "right" or "right now".

Good solid choices. Tough call. Eeny meeny miney mo!

Right Now implies you drop everything to do my special project.
Right Now by its very nature implies Fast.
Time is Money.
It seems the list is limited to one choice.
I can see at some point in the near future, you being tarred an feathered for slowing the process by offering such a ridiculous option as "Right".
I love that "Right" or "Right Now" choice - it makes things so clear .
And I agree that the list is limited (at least for most salesmen, program managers, project managers, and senior managers in teh development tree) to only one option - the wrong one .

LOL Greg. I do sometimes get seen as the obstinate one who doesn't want to play by the same rules as everyone else. I am the guy who always asks the hard questions which sometimes makes me seem the pessimist. My canned response to being told I am the pessimistic one? "What is the difference between an optimist and pessimist?" Experience.

I used a slightly different line back in the days when I could get away with it. It went like this:-
- Tom, why are you almost always the most pessimistic person in these meetings?
- It's because I'm always the only competent engineer in the room, and that's because you never invite any other engineers.
In those days I was a pretty junior manager, nevertheless that line usually stopped the argument, because people knew that if it didn't I might well take it up the management tree and the top management really didn't like non-tech people overriding tech people about tech questions. I was very sad a few years later when we had new managers, who really hated tech people trying to overrule non-tech people on tech questions - that was a really great company right down the ****ing tubes .

Tom
Post #1558667
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 4:53 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 11:09 AM
Sean Lange (4/4/2014)
Lynn Pettis (4/4/2014)
Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

Surely you have been able to find a game out there in the sand right after your 12 hours shift. When you come back to the states maybe you can make a trip through Kansas City. We can find a way to get you in as a sub.

It isn't that I want to play as much as I want to get back out there and officiate, especially the kids.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1558678
Posted Saturday, April 5, 2014 9:21 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 6:45 PM
TomThomson (4/3/2014)
Lynn Pettis (4/3/2014)
TomThomson (4/3/2014)
You can have it fast, cheap, or right - pick only one of the three.

I thought that was 2 of 3? When did this change? I don't remember seeing the memo?

Well, there is an interesting paradox: if you pick "right" as the one of the three you insist on, you stand a chance of getting it fast and cheap, so you can sometimes get all three. But if you start from cheap it will go wrong, and take a long time to fix, which may ead to budget overruns so aiming for cheap won't deliver fast or right and is rather unlikely to deliver cheap, and if you start from "fast" and want 2 man years work done in 2 days and put hundreds of people on it with no time to plan the work or coordinate the many teams you are pretty well guaranteed an expensive and buggy result that isn't available until long after you wanted it. So the only one of the three you should pick is "right" and then you may get the other two as well, whereas if you pick either of the others you will probably get none of the three.

However, non-technical managers (and most technical managers too, in fact) don't understand this, so they have to be offered the choice - and allowing them to pick two of the three guarantees failure, so they should only be allowed to choose one so that there's at least some chance of success. I've even known an accountant pick "get it right" as his preferred option, so there's always some chance if you restrict them to one of the three.

We're cut from the same cloth on that subject. Picking "right" usually results more than one form of "right".

Unfortunately, some people just don't listen, egos get involved, and a lot of people feel the need to contribute to the definition of what's "right" even though they don't have a clue, which strongly contributes to the "impossibility factor" that someone else mentioned. I've only been in a small handful of design meetings that didn't follow the pattern in the following clip. Just substitute you favorite project name for "7 Red Lines" and, for the love of Pete, take a red marker to your next design meeting! Managers, don't forget the potential for ballooning costs!
http://failblog.cheezburger.com/share/59643393

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1558737
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,3654,3664,3674,3684,369»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse