Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,3204,3214,3224,3234,324»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 2:50 PM
jcrawf02 (3/7/2014)
there's an echo in here that uses more exclamation points than I do...

!!!!!!!!!!!! hehe !!!!!!!!!!!!

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1548909
Posted Friday, March 7, 2014 5:45 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 5:00 PM
Jack Corbett (3/7/2014)
So for those of you who knew I was unemployed. I have an offer on the table. The only problem is that it involves going back to "real" work with hard deadlines, accountability, and going into an office. None of those are bad things, but it's just been a couple years since I've had all 3. The last job was a full-time telecommute and they thought they had hard deadlines and accountability, but it not really, and prior to that working for a non-profit where they were happy you there.

I haven't accepted yet because another company is also interested in making an offer and I'm giving them a chance to see what they can come up with. The current offer is good and the benefits the come with the current offer are top shelf, so it'll be very hard to top.

Congratulations! Can't keep a good DBA down!

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1548933
Posted Saturday, March 8, 2014 4:00 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 4:02 PM
Jack Corbett (3/7/2014)
So for those of you who knew I was unemployed. I have an offer on the table. The only problem is that it involves going back to "real" work with hard deadlines, accountability, and going into an office. None of those are bad things, but it's just been a couple years since I've had all 3. The last job was a full-time telecommute and they thought they had hard deadlines and accountability, but it not really, and prior to that working for a non-profit where they were happy you there.

I haven't accepted yet because another company is also interested in making an offer and I'm giving them a chance to see what they can come up with. The current offer is good and the benefits the come with the current offer are top shelf, so it'll be very hard to top.

Great to hear. Congrats.

I'm not sure I could go back into an office full time though.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1548954
Posted Saturday, March 8, 2014 12:45 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
Really happy for you, Jack.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
Stop, children, what's that sound? -- Stephen Stills
Post #1548989
Posted Saturday, March 8, 2014 8:05 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 6:12 PM
Ed Wagner (3/7/2014)
dwain.c (3/6/2014)
TomThomson (3/6/2014)
Koen Verbeeck (3/6/2014)
MysteryJimbo (3/6/2014)
Koen Verbeeck (3/5/2014)

Pfff, than you have never been in Belgium before
If we wouldn't be having the most traffic jam congested cities in the world, you could drive through the whole country in a couple of hours.

You can drive through the whole country in a couple of hours. I've done it (by avoiding cities). Germany to France.

I meant from west to east. You'd have to pass either Antwerp or Brussels. Either way, you're screwed

And you can go from Germany to France without passing Belgium as well

Brussels must have changed a lot since I was last there - the traffic wasn't to bad then, compared to other cities I knew, but that was about 15 or maybe 16 years ago. Antwerp I drove through the outskirts of on my way from France to the Netherlands and again on my way back in (I think) 2005 - it wasn't a problem at all then, nothing like the mess around Utrecht - but even that is long enough ago for there to be plenty of change since.

Traffic? Puh-lease! Try driving in Bangkok on Friday at 6PM.

Bangkok? No thanks, Dwain. You win. We have some terrible roads here and heavy traffic, but from what I understand, Bangkok and Beijing are among the worst in the world. I think I'll stay home. I would enjoy the food in Bangkok, but not getting it it.

From what I've heard traffic is much improved over the days before they put in the Skytrain. Now there's a subway too. Traffic still sucks if you go to the wrong place at the wrong time though.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1549018
Posted Saturday, March 8, 2014 8:09 PM

Hall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 6:12 PM
SQLRNNR (3/7/2014)
dwain.c (3/6/2014)
TomThomson (3/6/2014)
Koen Verbeeck (3/6/2014)
MysteryJimbo (3/6/2014)
Koen Verbeeck (3/5/2014)

Pfff, than you have never been in Belgium before
If we wouldn't be having the most traffic jam congested cities in the world, you could drive through the whole country in a couple of hours.

You can drive through the whole country in a couple of hours. I've done it (by avoiding cities). Germany to France.

I meant from west to east. You'd have to pass either Antwerp or Brussels. Either way, you're screwed

And you can go from Germany to France without passing Belgium as well

Brussels must have changed a lot since I was last there - the traffic wasn't to bad then, compared to other cities I knew, but that was about 15 or maybe 16 years ago. Antwerp I drove through the outskirts of on my way from France to the Netherlands and again on my way back in (I think) 2005 - it wasn't a problem at all then, nothing like the mess around Utrecht - but even that is long enough ago for there to be plenty of change since.

Traffic? Puh-lease! Try driving in Bangkok on Friday at 6PM.

Friday Night in Bangkok?

Did you know that song was banned in Thailand for a time. The authorities thought it gave tourists the wrong impression. Well actually, it was the right impression, so I guess that's why they banned it.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1549019
Posted Saturday, March 8, 2014 9:06 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 5:00 PM
Funny how after 9 years of being on this site some people still need to be spoon fed.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1549021
Posted Sunday, March 9, 2014 12:45 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:09 AM
Just noticed a change here, and I thought I'd let others know about it.

If you like to underline url's that you type in, you need to go [ u ] [ url ] <url> [ /url ] [ /u ] (without all the spaces) instead of [ url ] [ u ] <url> [ /u ] [ /url ]. I've used the latter format for years, but just noticed that it now has the [ u ] & [ /u ] in as part of the hyperlink (it didn't use to do that) and prevents it from working.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1549070
Posted Sunday, March 9, 2014 2:14 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:20 PM
Jack Corbett (3/7/2014)

Congrats!

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1549079
Posted Sunday, March 9, 2014 4:40 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 5:00 AM
Jack Corbett (3/7/2014)

Congrats Jack!

Telecommuting is very good, but also going back to a real office won't be as bad as you may think. Look on the bright side: no more VPNs that disconnect, no more lync (or whatever) that mangles your words. Talking to real people in person is a different thing.

--
Gianluca Sartori

Get your two-cent-answer quickly
spaghettidba.com
@spaghettidba
Post #1549084
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,3204,3214,3224,3234,324»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse