Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,2934,2944,2954,2964,297»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:47 AM
Cody K (2/17/2014)
GilaMonster (2/17/2014)
Can anyone pick this one up please?

I'm glad we're not allowed guns in Australia. Or am I going overboard?

A little. As questions go, that's a relatively decent one.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1542108
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 7:18 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:20 PM
Ed Wagner (2/17/2014)
Cody K (2/17/2014)
GilaMonster (2/17/2014)
Can anyone pick this one up please?

I'm glad we're not allowed guns in Australia. Or am I going overboard?

I'll give it a go. It might end up to be an exercise in patience, but we'll see.

I think Jeff may have interviewed this one at some point in time.
Post #1542112
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 7:20 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:59 AM
GilaMonster (2/17/2014)
[quote]A little. As questions go, that's a relatively decent one.

"the file is there. I tried with extensions also like sample.csv and all but no luck. I don know whether sa login used is having the permission to read or not, if it doesnot hav ,please explain how to give"

You're far more patient than me, and I'm the most patient person I know!
Post #1542113
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 7:28 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Ed Wagner (2/17/2014)
Greg Edwards-268690 (2/17/2014)
Ed Wagner (2/17/2014)
dwain.c (2/16/2014)
Ed Wagner (2/13/2014)
dwain.c (2/13/2014)
Jack Corbett (2/13/2014)

Glad no bare-chested pictures of Grant, or frankly anyone on the thread, have popped up here too.

I guess it is fortunate then that most of the bare chest in my avatar is covered by a big fish.

You know, Dwain, I've seen your avatar and have always wondered what kind of fish you are holding. Also, where did you catch it?

It's a 45kg Mekong Catfish that I caught at a fishing park on the outskirts of Bangkok (my home base) called Bung Sam Ran. The pond is also stocked with Giant Siamese Carp which are truly beautiful fish (unfortunately I've never caught one) and Arapaima, which is a huge fish indigenous to South America.

If anyone ever comes to visit me I'd be happy to accompany them on a fishing trip. I can promise all fisher-folk the best day of fishing they've ever had.

Thank you for satisfying a curiosity of mine. I actually saw a show on Animal Planet (a cable channel) about a year ago about how the Arapaima are impacting the behavior of the Piranha in some regions of South America. I know this type of show is made for TV, but it doesn't change the fact that the fish are quite impressive and dangerous. Thanks for the info.

Jeremy Wade, River Monsters? Interesting to see big fish in many different continents.
And usually the host was wearing a t shirt with holes.

Dwain's offer sounds like fun if I ever get over that way again.

That's the show. It's neat to see just how many impressive fish there are out there all over the world. The Grouper had to be the biggest, but the I think the Arapaima was to be the most dangerous.

So what kind of fish are you holding and from where? Of course, the follow-up question is if you yell "Fish On!" when you hook one.

Largemouth Bass, Minnesota, off my dock fishing for Crappies. Released.
"Fish On!" - that's in the boat. Can be used to either let someone know to get the net and be ready, or sometimes instead of "I've got another one, you are falling behind".
Use the second one sparingly - especially if windy and you are not driving the boat. I can result in a very wet ride back to the landing.
Post #1542119
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 7:34 AM

Ten Centuries

ChrisM@Work (2/17/2014)
Greg Edwards-268690 (2/17/2014)
Ed Wagner (2/17/2014)
dwain.c (2/16/2014)
Ed Wagner (2/13/2014)
dwain.c (2/13/2014)
Jack Corbett (2/13/2014)

Glad no bare-chested pictures of Grant, or frankly anyone on the thread, have popped up here too.

I guess it is fortunate then that most of the bare chest in my avatar is covered by a big fish.

You know, Dwain, I've seen your avatar and have always wondered what kind of fish you are holding. Also, where did you catch it?

It's a 45kg Mekong Catfish that I caught at a fishing park on the outskirts of Bangkok (my home base) called Bung Sam Ran. The pond is also stocked with Giant Siamese Carp which are truly beautiful fish (unfortunately I've never caught one) and Arapaima, which is a huge fish indigenous to South America.

If anyone ever comes to visit me I'd be happy to accompany them on a fishing trip. I can promise all fisher-folk the best day of fishing they've ever had.

Thank you for satisfying a curiosity of mine. I actually saw a show on Animal Planet (a cable channel) about a year ago about how the Arapaima are impacting the behavior of the Piranha in some regions of South America. I know this type of show is made for TV, but it doesn't change the fact that the fish are quite impressive and dangerous. Thanks for the info.

Jeremy Wade, River Monsters? Interesting to see big fish in many different continents.
And usually the host was wearing a t shirt with holes.

Dwain's offer sounds like fun if I ever get over that way again.

Tacky title but it's been informative and amusing - and it's on ITV (one of the top four UK channels) at prime viewing time. Wade is underused, his delivery style is brilliant.

+1 Wade doesn't just fish, he explores the stories behind the fish.
Post #1542124
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 7:40 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
Koen Verbeeck (2/17/2014)
Cody K (2/17/2014)
Michael Earl-395764 (11/18/2008)
Is it me, or are the posted questions getting worse these days?

It's not just you.

People can't research to avoid their problems in the first place. They can't write an intelligible paragraph describing what their issue is, in a way that we can reproduce it, and give them a proper answer. Meanwhile these same dolts seem to be jumping into threads they have no idea about and pasting links from Google asking, "Does this help? Does this help?" when there's the merest breath of tangental relation.

For these reasons I try not to post until I absolutely need to. Especially on SSC... there are too many fragmented forums here IMHO. Most stuff gets passed over without anyone even seeing it.

Woot, back on topic after almost 43,000 posts

The different forums don't really matter when you browse them using the "Recent Posts" filter. That way you can see all the new posts, even those hidden in those obscure forums

Yeah that filter really works wonders for SSC

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1542132
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 7:44 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:10 AM
Cody K (2/17/2014)
GilaMonster (2/17/2014)

"the file is there. I tried with extensions also like sample.csv and all but no luck. I don know whether sa login used is having the permission to read or not, if it doesnot hav ,please explain how to give"

I don't want to pile on, but if you don't get a clear answer, I'd suggest making the question simpler and more precise. "What is the name and extension of the file?" I wouldn't be surprised if Sample is the folder.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
--------------------------------------
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1542134
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 8:17 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:47 AM
Stefan Krzywicki (2/17/2014)
Cody K (2/17/2014)
GilaMonster (2/17/2014)

I don't want to pile on, but if you don't get a clear answer, I'd suggest making the question simpler and more precise. "What is the name and extension of the file?" I wouldn't be surprised if Sample is the folder.

I'm off to my gaming evening in about half an hour, so not touching until tomorrow (if then)

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1542147
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 8:25 AM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: Monday, April 07, 2014 7:35 AM
Jack Corbett (2/13/2014)
So I just spent about 25 minutes catching up on the thread. Had actually been busy at work and with life in general until today.

Glad to hear Lynn gets a visit back to the states and still employed.

Not sure what I think about the ability to mark a post as the answer or what worked. I think it can be helpful, but also may be used more often to mark an answer that worked, but isn't the best answer provided in the discussion. I do like the StackOverflow up-voting system, but that's about all I like out there.

Now onto the reason I had time to catch-up today. I was informed that due to financial problems at my now former employer, my position has been eliminated effective immediately. So I have lots of time right now, other than looking for my next opportunity. I do have a couple of things I'd already been looking into, but I'm still interested in hearing about anything else north of Boston or remote.

Hey Jack,

Sorry to hear about your job situation. I don't have any solid leads to pass on, unfortunately. I do have a suggestion, though. I get weekly e-mail updates of job postings from LinkedIn, and I've noticed a fairly constant presence of at least a few opportunities in the "greater Boston area." I've never applied for a position posted on LinkedIn, so I don't know much else about how that works, but it could be one more place to widen the cast of your net. Good luck with your search.

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Post #1542157
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 11:42 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 6:02 PM
G'Day Everyone!!

Have you noticed the community has grown over 1.7M members?

Congratulations to Steve et al who founded it, keep up the good work.

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan
Post #1542238
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,2934,2944,2954,2964,297»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse