Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,2544,2554,2564,2574,258»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, January 8, 2014 1:16 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 5:05 PM
Just a note to all planning to attend PASS 2014, I may NOT be there this year. It all depends on what transpires here in Afghanistan. Since I was able to avoid unemployment in February and extend out here until the end of August I am hoping to be able to extend a little longer and come home in December with the plan to be home in time for Christmas 2014.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1529072
Posted Wednesday, January 8, 2014 3:07 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 11:18 AM
I was going to go to a user group meeting tonight, but it is supposed to be 15 out at the start and 10 at the end and I don't want to stand around waiting for trains in that.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
--------------------------------------
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1529119
Posted Thursday, January 9, 2014 2:51 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 2:16 PM
Jeff - true but it does look as though Grant is having far too much in Cambridge to worry too much about the rain! According to the folks back home they are having a lot more rain that side of the country than I am this side of the country. No looking forward to the drive back tomorrow afternoon.

Lynn - Nooooo! No PASS . I'm sure you will have something sorted out work wise when you get back, and we'll just have to take a rain check on PASS until 2015.

Talking or which I can't believe I already have that booked :O

Rodders...

Post #1529257
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 2:35 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:53 AM
Jeff Moden (1/8/2014)
rodjkidd (1/8/2014)
Weather update, as Grant has discovered it gets dark here very quickly, that and the rain and wind seems to be the story of the week in not so sunny Bracknell.

Grant must be slackin'... normally, he can fix a rainy day.

Too busy, and there are pubs.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1529685
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 2:45 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:54 AM
Grant Fritchey (1/10/2014)
Jeff Moden (1/8/2014)
rodjkidd (1/8/2014)
Weather update, as Grant has discovered it gets dark here very quickly, that and the rain and wind seems to be the story of the week in not so sunny Bracknell.

If the weather were any nicer I'd suggest you head west to Swindon tomorrow to loose a few off. As it is, even our champion Nige will struggle with 140#. Maybe next time.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1529686
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 2:56 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:53 AM
ChrisM@Work (1/10/2014)
Jeff Moden (1/8/2014)
rodjkidd (1/8/2014)

If the weather were any nicer I'd suggest you head west to Swindon tomorrow to loose a few off. As it is, even our champion Nige will struggle with 140#. Maybe next time.

You have to stop teasing me. I'm flying out tomorrow.

Damn, damn, damn, damn.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1529689
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 5:07 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 6:01 AM
ChrisM@Work (1/10/2014)
Jeff Moden (1/8/2014)
rodjkidd (1/8/2014)

Damn, damn, damn, damn.

Damn shame as well, if you were near Swindon we could of met up

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.

Anon.

Post #1529725
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 5:23 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:54 AM
David Burrows (1/10/2014)
ChrisM@Work (1/10/2014)
Jeff Moden (1/8/2014)
rodjkidd (1/8/2014)

Damn, damn, damn, damn.

Damn shame as well, if you were near Swindon we could of met up

You'll need to find a decent pub in Swindon first

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1529728
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 5:41 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 8:19 AM
Yay, a gaggle of new graduates at the office (new employees, busy with our basic training course) and one near me seems to think that higher volume makes her opinion more correct. :-(

Not even in my team, so I can't have words with them.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1529733
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 5:52 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 11:54 AM
GilaMonster (1/10/2014)
Yay, a gaggle of new graduates at the office (new employees, busy with our basic training course) and one near me seems to think that higher volume makes her opinion more correct. :-(

Not even in my team, so I can't have words with them.

I've met people like that. Eventually, she should figure out that if things are quieter all around her, she should lower her own volume. If she doesn't get it, I don't see any problem with having words with her, but you can only do it as a co-worker, not as a boss. It may be that she doesn't even realize that she's loud.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1529737
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,2544,2554,2564,2574,258»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse