Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,2514,2524,2534,2544,255»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:20 PM
Stefan Krzywicki (1/3/2014)
dwilander (1/3/2014)
47 degrees and sunny here in the Pacific Northwest. Now who's laughing!

People in Trinidad?

dwilander did not mention that only two days ago, on Wednesday, we had a 10-day forecast of -2/3 degrees F for the next Tuesday and beyond. (-19 to -16 C for you rational types.) Fortunately, pocket of the Arctic air stopped and we will get only (more) rain.
Post #1527754
Posted Friday, January 3, 2014 7:59 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:06 PM
We really dodged the bullet with the "Hercules" snowstorm than nailed New England. We only got about 6 inches here about 20 miles north of Detroit.

That's about to change... we're supposed to get a foot of snow Saturday night into Sunday night and sub zero temperatures and that's supposed to be followed by frequent lake-effect snow showers. Since I'm too busy to go skinny-dipping this week, that's ok by me.

I did live down on Key West for 26 months when I was in the Navy. It was a whole lot of fun (I lived right on Duval street just a couple of blocks from Hemingway's bar) but it was missing one thing... really cold weather to kill the really big bugs. Being an avid motorcyclist at the time, I have to tell you that I really, really hated "Love Bug" season.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1527769
Posted Friday, January 3, 2014 8:41 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:33 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/3/2014)
We've had plenty of sub 10F days, dropping below zero at night (those are cold nights). However we've had 50-60 F a few days in the last couple weeks as well. Crazy when I can be outside in a t-shirt or sweatshirt for half the day and a winter coat and hat the other.

I guess I'm a cold weather wimp. It was down to 14 C today, at about 7 am, when I woke up, and again after 8 pm; so I wore a heavy sweater in the morning. Early afternoon I had to shed the sweater, because it was 24 C and I was going to walk a couple of miles on pretty steep hills to meet up with my wife (who wanted to go via all sorts of boring shops, on the flat coastal route, hence apartness) for lunch. For me that was a cold day. Well, during the summer I'm in the UK a lot, and get aclimatised to that sort of thing (or something similar - it rarely hits 24) so it doesn't seem cold

Tom
Post #1527771
Posted Friday, January 3, 2014 8:45 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:33 PM
dwilander (1/3/2014)

People in Trinidad?

The Pacific NW is far too cold!

Tom
Post #1527773
Posted Saturday, January 4, 2014 6:44 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:46 PM
Revenant (1/3/2014)
dwilander (1/3/2014)

People in Trinidad?

dwilander did not mention that only two days ago, on Wednesday, we had a 10-day forecast of -2/3 degrees F for the next Tuesday and beyond. (-19 to -16 C for you rational types.) Fortunately, pocket of the Arctic air stopped and we will get only (more) rain.

Hopefully will stay warm enough to be just rain.
That ice or snow around the freezing point is nasty.
A few weeks ago, we had some really awesome sun dogs.
Enjoy your sun while you can.
Post #1527809
Posted Monday, January 6, 2014 4:49 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:50 PM
Jeff Moden (1/3/2014)
We really dodged the bullet with the "Hercules" snowstorm than nailed New England. We only got about 6 inches here about 20 miles north of Detroit.

That's about to change... we're supposed to get a foot of snow Saturday night into Sunday night and sub zero temperatures and that's supposed to be followed by frequent lake-effect snow showers. Since I'm too busy to go skinny-dipping this week, that's ok by me.

I did live down on Key West for 26 months when I was in the Navy. It was a whole lot of fun (I lived right on Duval street just a couple of blocks from Hemingway's bar) but it was missing one thing... really cold weather to kill the really big bugs. Being an avid motorcyclist at the time, I have to tell you that I really, really hated "Love Bug" season.

Well, we got hit pretty hard by the recent storm just north of Detroit. I've got over a foot in my driveway now and it was cleared out during the day yesterday. The sub-zero temperatures are supposed to be moving in today. Sigh. New England - it's on the way to you next.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1528037
Posted Monday, January 6, 2014 5:06 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:11 PM
Ok, who has the crystal ball this week?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1527890-146-1.aspx
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1528036-391-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1528042
Posted Monday, January 6, 2014 5:13 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:27 PM
Ed Wagner (1/6/2014)

Well, we got hit pretty hard by the recent storm just north of Detroit. I've got over a foot in my driveway now and it was cleared out during the day yesterday. The sub-zero temperatures are supposed to be moving in today. Sigh. New England - it's on the way to you next.

Looks like I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue... Oh wait, I'm in the UK all week where it's "cold" and rainy. I'm practically in shorts since it's 50 outside.

Have fun New England!

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1528044
Posted Monday, January 6, 2014 5:15 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:50 PM

I think I'd have to vote for the 270-column table where the upload is not working properly. It made me smile and sad at the same time. If they can't explain a problem clearly, I don't hold out much hope.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1528047
Posted Monday, January 6, 2014 5:21 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:27 PM
Ed Wagner (1/6/2014)

I think I'd have to vote for the 270-column table where the upload is not working properly. It made me smile and sad at the same time. If they can't explain a problem clearly, I don't hold out much hope.

Best part of that one was, "But I am explaining it clearly."

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1528053
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,2514,2524,2534,2544,255»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse