Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,2354,2364,2374,2384,239»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, December 14, 2013 9:32 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 10:21 PM
Revenant (12/14/2013)
I am still thankful that I do not have to shovel it.

BWAAA-HAAA!!!! I sometimes feel like that when reviewing code.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1522953
Posted Monday, December 16, 2013 6:07 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 1:46 PM
Jeff Moden (12/14/2013)
Revenant (12/14/2013)
I am still thankful that I do not have to shovel it.

BWAAA-HAAA!!!! I sometimes feel like that when reviewing code.

I feel your pain, Jeff. Nonetheless, the humor was still good.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1523178
Posted Monday, December 16, 2013 7:33 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 6:24 AM
WayneS (12/13/2013)
Greg Edwards-268690 (12/13/2013)
jasona.work (12/13/2013)
Ed Wagner (12/13/2013)
jasona.work (12/13/2013)
OK, where did the year go?
I mean seriously, 12 days until X-Mas? It feels like it was only a couple weeks ago I was starting this job and planning my vacation...

I know what you mean, Jason. Christmas is almost here and my shopping isn't done. Winter is also here are we're supposed to get 3" to 6" starting tonight. Seize each day and try to make the most of it.

From the snow you're talking about, sounds like you're in my neck of the woods.

Which means tomorrow or Sunday, I get to see how my sportly little, low slung car can handle it!

Finally warming up a bit here. Some areas have been getting snow by the foot, so the 8" we got last week wasn't so bad. The ice storms are the worst - I can't imagine being without lights and heat for days.

Generators. Electric Heaters.
You know, a DR plan.

Glad you used generators instead of generator if you want to run electric heaters off generator power. I prefer a generator and a wood stove.

We got 8-12 inches of snow this weekend. As far as I'm concerned we can be done with snow for the season now, and I do mean winter although it hasn't officially started yet!

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #1523222
Posted Monday, December 16, 2013 8:28 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 1:49 PM
I don't mind too much snow here, prefer it in the mountains.

It snowed last week, still snow on the ground, but supposed to hit 60F here today. Crazy.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Post #1523264
Posted Monday, December 16, 2013 8:31 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 3:31 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/16/2013)

It snowed last week, still snow on the ground, but supposed to hit 60F here today. Crazy.

I know what you mean. Here in Kansas City it has been so stupid cold for 2-3 weeks. Yesterday I was in the back yard in short sleeves playing with the boys. It is supposed to get to almost 60 on Wednesday.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1523266
Posted Monday, December 16, 2013 8:33 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 1:46 PM

If you're supposed to hit 60 today, you're the anomaly in the country. I think everyone else is stuck in a cold snap. I know we are in Michigan. Maybe it'll help some of the snow to melt. I know you get super-snow compared to us, even more than the Upper Peninsula of Michigan gets. They have big equipment to pick it up and cart if off when they run out of space to push it. I've heard it commonly gets to be taller than the buildings.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1523268
Posted Monday, December 16, 2013 9:15 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 1:49 PM
Actually Denver doesn't get lots of snow. I think we're 60" a year, but it's over a lot of days, and it disappears quickly. With the sun, lack of humidity and wild temp swings, we can get a foot of snow and have it melt in a week.

When I lived in Syracuse, we got waaaaaaayyyyyy more snow than I've seen in Denver.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Post #1523292
Posted Monday, December 16, 2013 9:26 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 1:58 PM
Ed Wagner (12/16/2013)

If you're supposed to hit 60 today, you're the anomaly in the country. I think everyone else is stuck in a cold snap. I know we are in Michigan. Maybe it'll help some of the snow to melt. I know you get super-snow compared to us, even more than the Upper Peninsula of Michigan gets. They have big equipment to pick it up and cart if off when they run out of space to push it. I've heard it commonly gets to be taller than the buildings.

In Redmond we had 50 yesterday, and it is forecast to be about the same today.
Post #1523301
Posted Monday, December 16, 2013 9:27 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:51 PM
Jack Corbett (12/16/2013)
WayneS (12/13/2013)
Greg Edwards-268690 (12/13/2013)
jasona.work (12/13/2013)
Ed Wagner (12/13/2013)
jasona.work (12/13/2013)
OK, where did the year go?
I mean seriously, 12 days until X-Mas? It feels like it was only a couple weeks ago I was starting this job and planning my vacation...

I know what you mean, Jason. Christmas is almost here and my shopping isn't done. Winter is also here are we're supposed to get 3" to 6" starting tonight. Seize each day and try to make the most of it.

From the snow you're talking about, sounds like you're in my neck of the woods.

Which means tomorrow or Sunday, I get to see how my sportly little, low slung car can handle it!

Finally warming up a bit here. Some areas have been getting snow by the foot, so the 8" we got last week wasn't so bad. The ice storms are the worst - I can't imagine being without lights and heat for days.

Generators. Electric Heaters.
You know, a DR plan.

Glad you used generators instead of generator if you want to run electric heaters off generator power. I prefer a generator and a wood stove.

We got 8-12 inches of snow this weekend. As far as I'm concerned we can be done with snow for the season now, and I do mean winter although it hasn't officially started yet!

Hehe.
When I built our house, I designed it to use radiant-floor heat. Hot water is heated by an outdoor wood furnace. Gas (propane) range. Only electrical needs are some tiny pumps for moving the hot water through the floor (and from wood furnace to house), and for fridge/freezer. One generator (converted to propane) easily handles all of that. Oh, and the spark igniter for the range.

Now, if I power on all of my computer equipment...

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1523305
Posted Monday, December 16, 2013 5:17 PM

Hall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 6:01 PM

In case anyone is interested, it has not yet snowed in Bangkok this year.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1523490
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,2354,2364,2374,2384,239»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse