Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,2064,2074,2084,2094,210»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, November 05, 2013 3:47 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, January 19, 2014 5:00 PM
jasona.work (11/5/2013)
jcrawf02 (11/5/2013)
Fal (11/4/2013)
jasona.work (11/4/2013)
The joy and fun of migrating DBs to a new server...

Trying to get in touch with the people who need to update the application, people potentially trying to stall to make other people look bad, people who never get back with you...

The backup->copy->restore->check users->update backup software process...

What fun...

We can swap war stories. I'm currently engaged moving all our servers "into the cloud".

Forgive my if I sound a little air-headed and make insubstantial comments.

Fal.

Image in my head of someone tossing servers out the window...

Hopefully with large helium balloons attached to them, to take them up to "the cloud."

I know I'm going to need to migrate these DBs again in the future, either when we go to Windows Server 2012, or SQL 2012. I'm thinking about dealing with the security requirements (You want a network share? Why? Justify it! No, you need a special dispensation for a service account to have access to it!) and next time setting up log shipping between the old and new servers. Then when the app-owner is ready to pull the trigger, take one last log backup, offline the DB, restore the log backup and recover on the new server and my part is (mostly) done.

On an unrelated note, only about 56 days until I get to go to the NHL Winter Classic!

That's the underlying reason for our 'move project'. Our data centre pins us in our office and we can't move to flashier digs until the DC moves. Putting in it the cloud means we wont have that restriction in the future.

And, oh! How marvelous it will be. Wall to wall SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition; Master Data Services for handling our myriad datasets; Always On Availability Groups. Need more RAM or CPU? A few clicks and it's done! Running out of disk space? Select a new amount from a dropdown list!! Rainbow coloured unicorns will prance around the office and large bottles of quality red wine will fall from the heavens....

And then Bean Counters in Head Office looked at the cost of SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition and said "WTF? It's over 50% of the entire project budget. We can save a motza if we use a managed instance."

And so now I'm stripping enterprise features from all our databases in order to shovel them into a managed instance. To give you an idea, it's a bit like the change in Tutankhamun before and after mummification.

Fal.

Post #1511663
Posted Tuesday, November 05, 2013 5:56 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 9:01 AM
Fal (11/5/2013)
jasona.work (11/5/2013)
jcrawf02 (11/5/2013)
Fal (11/4/2013)
jasona.work (11/4/2013)
The joy and fun of migrating DBs to a new server...

Trying to get in touch with the people who need to update the application, people potentially trying to stall to make other people look bad, people who never get back with you...

The backup->copy->restore->check users->update backup software process...

What fun...

We can swap war stories. I'm currently engaged moving all our servers "into the cloud".

Forgive my if I sound a little air-headed and make insubstantial comments.

Fal.

Image in my head of someone tossing servers out the window...

Hopefully with large helium balloons attached to them, to take them up to "the cloud."

I know I'm going to need to migrate these DBs again in the future, either when we go to Windows Server 2012, or SQL 2012. I'm thinking about dealing with the security requirements (You want a network share? Why? Justify it! No, you need a special dispensation for a service account to have access to it!) and next time setting up log shipping between the old and new servers. Then when the app-owner is ready to pull the trigger, take one last log backup, offline the DB, restore the log backup and recover on the new server and my part is (mostly) done.

On an unrelated note, only about 56 days until I get to go to the NHL Winter Classic!

That's the underlying reason for our 'move project'. Our data centre pins us in our office and we can't move to flashier digs until the DC moves. Putting in it the cloud means we wont have that restriction in the future.

And, oh! How marvelous it will be. Wall to wall SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition; Master Data Services for handling our myriad datasets; Always On Availability Groups. Need more RAM or CPU? A few clicks and it's done! Running out of disk space? Select a new amount from a dropdown list!! Rainbow coloured unicorns will prance around the office and large bottles of quality red wine will fall from the heavens....

And then Bean Counters in Head Office looked at the cost of SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition and said "WTF? It's over 50% of the entire project budget. We can save a motza if we use a managed instance."

And so now I'm stripping enterprise features from all our databases in order to shovel them into a managed instance. To give you an idea, it's a bit like the change in Tutankhamun before and after mummification.

Fal.

Talk about a balloon popping....
That core licensing model can take a bit to plan for.
Some of the Enterprise features do save money and reduce risk. So they might pay for it in other ways.
Ironically, when we went to a remote data center, we had the smallest servers running Ent. Edition, but used it for the features. Others were forced to bite the bullet due to the hardware choice for VM's, when they could have easily continued using Std Edition.
One of the most interesting things was how people tried to interpret the licensing model in a virtual environment. Just because you allocate 1 proc in VM, doesn't mean much at the end of the day.
Post #1511684
Posted Tuesday, November 05, 2013 8:20 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:37 PM
Thankfully, I don't see it getting cloudy any time soon in my future.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1511701
Posted Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:11 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 2:24 AM
First of all, thanks to Steve for fixing the SQL formatting issues in my recently published article:
How to Design, Build and Test a Dynamic Search Stored Procedure

So I'm chatting on Skype with a Security Engineer friend of mine, telling him about the articles that SSC has so graciously published for me and I send him a link to my Guest Columnist page.

Within seconds he tells me the email address I registered to the site and then shortly thereafter I get an email with a link that says "if you want to change your password, press this link."

The @#$@@ is trying to hack my SSC account! Just goes to show what happens when you befriend and ethical hacker!

Hope that link expires so I don't need to change my password.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1511724
Posted Wednesday, November 06, 2013 5:47 AM
Hall of Fame

dwain.c (11/5/2013)
First of all, thanks to Steve for fixing the SQL formatting issues in my recently published article:

So I'm chatting on Skype with a Security Engineer friend of mine, telling him about the articles that SSC has so graciously published for me and I send him a link to my Guest Columnist page.

Within seconds he tells me the email address I registered to the site and then shortly thereafter I get an email with a link that says "if you want to change your password, press this link."

The @#$@@ is trying to hack my SSC account! Just goes to show what happens when you befriend and ethical hacker!

Nice work, Dwain. I hope people see the methodical approach you took to solve the problem and take it to heart.

Post #1511832
Posted Wednesday, November 06, 2013 6:51 AM

Hall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 2:24 AM
Ed Wagner (11/6/2013)
dwain.c (11/5/2013)

Nice work, Dwain. I hope people see the methodical approach you took to solve the problem and take it to heart.

Thank you sir! I just hope it makes someone's life a little easier somewhere down the line.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1511862
Posted Wednesday, November 06, 2013 9:15 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:24 AM
SQLRNNR (11/4/2013)

Fundamental DBA skill - telepathy

I think once you get to know your users and company, often it does appear you have telepathy if you're good.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1511920
Posted Thursday, November 07, 2013 7:04 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:06 AM
It would appear that someone decided to switch off a bunch of import jobs on one of servers.
Spookily they didn't run from 1st Nov to 4th Nov inclusive. So the day after Halloween and the day before Guy Forkes nights... Dun Dun Daaaah.

Rodders...

Post #1512247
Posted Friday, November 08, 2013 4:26 AM
Hall of Fame

rodjkidd (11/7/2013)
It would appear that someone decided to switch off a bunch of import jobs on one of servers.
Spookily they didn't run from 1st Nov to 4th Nov inclusive. So the day after Halloween and the day before Guy Forkes nights... Dun Dun Daaaah.

Rodders...
I think someone's definitely out to get you. Instead of starting with the ghosts, I'd start with people who have access to switch the jobs off. They're a little more responsive to being beaten with sticks.

Post #1512596
Posted Friday, November 08, 2013 4:35 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:51 PM
So, put up gutter guard over the week to keep the back gutters on the house from filling with leaves, still need to get some to finish off the gutters.

Might as well, this weekend, fire up the leaf blower / vac and get the leaves up off the back yard...
Post #1512601
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,2064,2074,2084,2094,210»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse