Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,1824,1834,1844,1854,186»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 11:26 AM
wolfkillj (10/18/2013)
Well, I done gone and did it - now blogging (finally) at SQLSouth and tweeting from @SQLSouth. Hope you'll check 'em out!

Having a blast at PASS Summit 2013!

Jason

Following you on Twitter.
Small tip: change your profile picture. A lot of people won't follow you if you're still an egg

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1506049
Posted Friday, October 18, 2013 4:01 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 5:20 AM
GilaMonster (10/17/2013)
I wasn't around for the flash mob, but that didn't stop Argenis and I having a repeat performance a little later

https://plus.google.com/photos?pid=5935932615867871922&oid=114437370872037465059

If the URL doesn't work, I'll upload it separately.

+1. Starwars in the making.
Post #1506055
Posted Friday, October 18, 2013 6:36 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 7:19 AM
You know, people may complain about the hassles of installing SPs and CUs and updating the OS of their SQL servers, but that's nothing compared to doing Oracle Quarterly patches...

Having to rename DLLs that the Oracle service doesn't let go of, even when you've stopped the DB, having to actually STOP the various Oracle services, because the patch utility is a batch file making sure you're in the right directory, having to remember to run your CMD Prompt as Administrator...

I realize a dedicated, determined Oracle admin could probably put together a Powershell or Python script to do all of this automatically, but give me an EXE / MSI / MSU to double-click and click Next a few times any day...

Written while backing up an Oracle system before applying the current quarterly patches to a QA environment...
Post #1506121
Posted Friday, October 18, 2013 6:57 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 9:11 AM
jasona.work (10/18/2013)
You know, people may complain about the hassles of installing SPs and CUs and updating the OS of their SQL servers, but that's nothing compared to doing Oracle Quarterly patches...

Having to rename DLLs that the Oracle service doesn't let go of, even when you've stopped the DB, having to actually STOP the various Oracle services, because the patch utility is a batch file making sure you're in the right directory, having to remember to run your CMD Prompt as Administrator...

I realize a dedicated, determined Oracle admin could probably put together a Powershell or Python script to do all of this automatically, but give me an EXE / MSI / MSU to double-click and click Next a few times any day...

Written while backing up an Oracle system before applying the current quarterly patches to a QA environment...

Just curious, maybe a business could be started.
How much do you think you would pay for such an exe?
Post #1506136
Posted Friday, October 18, 2013 7:25 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 7:06 AM
As Jack said I finally tracked him down...
Felt a bit like the Colin Hay (ex Men at Work) song "Looking For Jack" !!
Great guy, it was a pleasure to meet you Jack. Next time warn everyone if you have shaved the beard or grown it back!

Also as a bonus on the Bucket List, met Jim Murphy on the way to the NASCAR hall of fame. So that was cool. Nice guy as well! E aren't we all on this thread?

Gail - See Denny, I did not.

Last day, it's gone so quickly...

Rodders...

Post #1506157
Posted Friday, October 18, 2013 7:49 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 12:07 PM
rodjkidd (10/18/2013)
Great guy, it was a pleasure to meet you Jack. Next time warn everyone if you have shaved the beard or grown it back!

Also as a bonus on the Bucket List, met Jim Murphy on the way to the NASCAR hall of fame. So that was cool. Nice guy as well! E aren't we all on this thread?

Rodders...

Saw you reference Men at Work and thought the song you were going for was "It's a Mistake" and I thought "Well that's just mean"

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1506171
Posted Friday, October 18, 2013 8:03 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 7:06 AM
Stefan Krzywicki (10/18/2013)
rodjkidd (10/18/2013)

Rodders...

Saw you reference Men at Work and thought the song you were going for was "It's a Mistake" and I thought "Well that's just mean"

Yes that would be mean! And gives the rest of us some insight into how you brain works!

Rodders...

Post #1506179
Posted Friday, October 18, 2013 8:20 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 9:44 AM
Koen, you are awesome.

Koen Verbeeck (10/18/2013)
hoseam (10/18/2013)
I don't have a backup

Sorry to hear that.
Let this be an incentive to implement a backup plan.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1506186
Posted Friday, October 18, 2013 8:22 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 12:07 PM
rodjkidd (10/18/2013)
Stefan Krzywicki (10/18/2013)
rodjkidd (10/18/2013)

Rodders...

Yes that would be mean! And gives the rest of us some insight into how you brain works!

Rodders...

A big part of how my brain works is finding song links for just about anything and if it doesn't find one, it starts making a song up.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1506187
Posted Friday, October 18, 2013 9:09 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 7:19 AM
Gads it takes a long time for an Oracle patch to apply...

I probably could've just installed a new, updated instance by now...
Post #1506211
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,1824,1834,1844,1854,186»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse