Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,1764,1774,1784,1794,180»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:10 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:32 PM
WayneS (10/10/2013)
Stefan Krzywicki (10/8/2013)
Well, time to polish the resume and start looking for work. Just given a 1 month notice.
They want to keep me on a retainer for 5 hours a week, so that might be a nice side income, as long as I find another full time job soon.
Hate looking this time of year.

That's not cool.
What geographic area are you looking in?

Well IMO this time of the year is better than any other, at least where I am (Pacific NW). Personally, I think it is much better than being given a pink slip on June 1 or December 1.

Over here the SQLS business, dev or admin, is still going strong.
Post #1503831
Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:49 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:06 PM
Hey Steve

There's a formatting error in my article today that causes all the code to be outside code boxes. Should I fix this and re-submit or is this something you would change?

Sorry for the delay. Flying and speaking.

Fixed.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1503832
Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:18 PM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Friday, September 26, 2014 1:39 PM
Revenant (10/10/2013)
WayneS (10/10/2013)
Well, time to polish the resume and start looking for work. Just given a 1 month notice.
They want to keep me on a retainer for 5 hours a week, so that might be a nice side income, as long as I find another full time job soon.

That's not cool.

Well IMO this time of the year is better than any other, at least where I am (Pacific NW). Personally, I think it is much better than being given a pink slip on June 1 or December 1.

I've decided to start looking around, and seems just the few feelers I've sent out are getting some action.
Also seems like you see more BI type of jobs being posted.
Which (at least I'd think) is a sign some companies are doing a bit more project work, not just filling the hole.

Post #1503845
Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 9:34 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, July 3, 2014 9:19 PM
GilaMonster (10/10/2013)
Brandie Tarvin (10/10/2013)
You might be able to get a single license for Scrivener that covers both the iPad and Windows version, then just transfer the files between devices. I don't know, though.

Doesn't appear to be an iPad version yet, store search comes up blank.
No matter, I'll try some out and see what works for me.

Thanks

I've been evaluating Scrivener with it's full 30 day trial (ie: 30 actual days, not calendar days.) The Mac and PC licenses are different, as I understand the PC version is maintained by a different mob. I'd also agree that there is "supposed" to be a iPad version coming out and I'm miffed by the 2-licenses quirk as I use an iPad to write while travelling and a PC to write at home.

For the iPad I use Textilus. It was the better one of a free bunch I tested out earlier in the year. Is it "the best"? Doubt it, but it was free and I didn't have time to test every free editor for the iPad. It also has a premium version for about $5.

Both Scrivener and Textilus synch with Dropbox, which seems like a plan although I haven't set it up yet.

Fal.

Post #1503856
Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 9:43 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 3:32 PM
Greg Edwards-268690 (10/10/2013)
Revenant (10/10/2013)
WayneS (10/10/2013)

That's not cool.

I've decided to start looking around, and seems just the few feelers I've sent out are getting some action.
Which (at least I'd think) is a sign some companies are doing a bit more project work, not just filling the hole.

Well it looks that BI is where most of the action is taking place, and I am just glad that I am in that spot.

I see a big shift from SSRS to PowerPivot.
Post #1503857
Posted Friday, October 11, 2013 12:29 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 8:15 AM
Revenant (10/10/2013)
Revenant (10/10/2013)
WayneS (10/10/2013)

That's not cool.

Well it looks that BI is where most of the action is taking place, and I am just glad that I am in that spot.

Seems odd as PowerPivot itself is not a reporting solution and certainly no replacement for SSRS (no subscriptions, alerts, caching, ...)

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1503877
Posted Friday, October 11, 2013 6:10 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Friday, September 26, 2014 1:39 PM
Koen Verbeeck (10/11/2013)
Revenant (10/10/2013)
Revenant (10/10/2013)
WayneS (10/10/2013)

That's not cool.

Seems odd as PowerPivot itself is not a reporting solution and certainly no replacement for SSRS (no subscriptions, alerts, caching, ...)

But the underlying shift is to put it in users hands, saving IT costs - at least that is the marketing spin.
After all, it only takes 5 minutes to do anything in Excel. Although sometimes it can take someone days to generate their current report. That can be the hidden iceberg.

I think its best when a place can find the proper balance between IT putting building blocks, templates, applying consistent data transformations (designed working with the business), and some key power users to help develop.
Some users have no skills to properly create sound scalable solutions, likewise many in IT might not understand some of the business needs.
Post #1503970
Posted Friday, October 11, 2013 6:59 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 4:05 PM
WayneS (10/10/2013)

That's not cool.

Boston.
3.5 years on a 6 month contract is pretty good though.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1503987
Posted Friday, October 11, 2013 7:00 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 4:05 PM
Revenant (10/10/2013)
WayneS (10/10/2013)

That's not cool.

Really? I find that right around the holidays is terrible for finding a new position.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1503988
Posted Friday, October 11, 2013 7:30 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Today @ 12:49 PM
It's always somewhat interesting to see how long some blogs have gone without updates, yet are still around...

I was looking for information on a SSRS issue (in QA so nothing that really needs to be fixed,) and found one blog with a similar issue. Admitedly, the blog was talking about SQL2005, but still matched my error.

So, when I was done, I clicked the title to see if there was anything new in the blog. Last update? Over 2 years ago.
Sure, it's an MSDN blog so MS will probably keep it around for a few more years, and the guy probably isn't even in the same division (if he's even still with MS.)

But I seem to come across this sort of thing at least once a week or so. I have to wonder, do these people just keep paying (if it's not an employer supported site) without thinking about it, or have these sites fallen into some sort of "limbo" where no one is still aware of them?

Ghost Sites, coming next season to SyFy!
Post #1504004
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,1764,1774,1784,1794,180»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse