Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,1664,1674,1684,1694,170»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:19 AM
Jeff Moden (10/5/2013)
GilaMonster (10/5/2013)
A lot of the gaming forums are starting to moderate heavily. Don't think they have much choice anymore, the amount of vile, abusive, hate type comments was just getting too much.

Heh... another good reason for me to avoid such diversions. It's amazing what people will say to each other when a little anonymity is allowed. Same goes with some of the responses to articles on Yahoo, etc. There's some pretty nasty stuff out there.

Yeah. Believe it or not on average (out of what I've seen) political articles had less vile comments than gaming forums. I've seen death threats, threats of other forms of violence, comments urging others to violence, etc, etc, over computer games.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1501881
Posted Saturday, October 5, 2013 7:56 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:38 PM
GilaMonster (10/5/2013)
Jeff Moden (10/5/2013)
GilaMonster (10/5/2013)
A lot of the gaming forums are starting to moderate heavily. Don't think they have much choice anymore, the amount of vile, abusive, hate type comments was just getting too much.

Heh... another good reason for me to avoid such diversions. It's amazing what people will say to each other when a little anonymity is allowed. Same goes with some of the responses to articles on Yahoo, etc. There's some pretty nasty stuff out there.

Yeah. Believe it or not on average (out of what I've seen) political articles had less vile comments than gaming forums. I've seen death threats, threats of other forms of violence, comments urging others to violence, etc, etc, over computer games.

Unbelievable. And, like you said, all over a blasted computer game. Heh... come to think of it, I may have interviewed one of these folks recently. NOT someone I'd want to work with at all.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1501887
Posted Saturday, October 5, 2013 8:12 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Speaking of "unbelievable", is THIS all that a Master's degree + the ability to walk on water is worth nowadays?

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #1501890
Posted Sunday, October 6, 2013 7:06 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:06 AM
Jeff Moden (10/5/2013)
Speaking of "unbelievable", is THIS all that a Master's degree + the ability to walk on water is worth nowadays?

But they have phone reimbursement. ;>)
Oh, that must mean they expect to call a lot at all hours too.
Post #1501916
Posted Sunday, October 6, 2013 11:20 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Greg Edwards-268690 (10/6/2013)
Jeff Moden (10/5/2013)

BWAAA-HAAA!!! I was thinking the very same thing!

Even if I had one and they actually had an appropriate salary, I wouldn't work for a company that required its DBAs to have Master Degrees unless I was at wits end trying to find a job. Sounds way too much like a club for "Ring Knockers".

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1501931
Posted Sunday, October 6, 2013 11:32 AM

SSC-Dedicated

I'm not actually looking for a job but it's sometimes a good thing to check on what the going rates are for different jobs. I'm seeing a fair number of DBA and "master Sql Developer" jobs in the UK for 25-30K pounds. In US dollars, the high end of that is only about 48K USD. Is the cost of living in the UK that low or are the jobs that fall into that range "low ball" postings?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1501932
Posted Sunday, October 6, 2013 11:34 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:36 PM
Jeff Moden (10/6/2013)
Greg Edwards-268690 (10/6/2013)
Jeff Moden (10/5/2013)

BWAAA-HAAA!!! I was thinking the very same thing!

Even if I had one and they actually had an appropriate salary, I wouldn't work for a company that required its DBAs to have Master Degrees unless I was at wits end trying to find a job. Sounds way too much like a club for "Ring Knockers".

It isn't required for my position, but I have a Masters degree.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1501934
Posted Sunday, October 6, 2013 2:27 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:02 PM
Jeff Moden (10/6/2013)
I'm not actually looking for a job but it's sometimes a good thing to check on what the going rates are for different jobs. I'm seeing a fair number of DBA and "master Sql Developer" jobs in the UK for 25-30K pounds. In US dollars, the high end of that is only about 48K USD. Is the cost of living in the UK that low or are the jobs that fall into that range "low ball" postings?

Yes, those are definitely "low ball" postings. A kid fresh out of university with a poor grade bachelors degree, not a very good university at that, and no experience at all, might get £25k (depends on location, salaries vary quite widely by region of the country). With a good degree from a good university he might get £30k as a trainee DBA for a merchant bank, but there are not terribly many jobs that would pay that to a new graduate with no experience and only a bachelors degree, just a few now and again. There are a number of firms that stick to offering low amounts in the hope of persuading government that because they get no useful applicants there must be a skills shortage so they must be allowed to import cheap labour from elsewhere, maybe it's their adverts that you are seeing?

Tom
Post #1501957
Posted Sunday, October 6, 2013 4:50 PM

SSC-Dedicated

L' Eomot Inversé (10/6/2013)
There are a number of firms that stick to offering low amounts in the hope of persuading government that because they get no useful applicants there must be a skills shortage so they must be allowed to import cheap labour from elsewhere...

Hmmm... hadn't thought of that ploy before. It's amazing the things some people will go through. Since I didn't know certains would pull that kind of monkey business, I don't know if that's what I'm looking at or not.

I was aware that certain companies regularly low-balled on salary just because they were cheap. We have a couple here that I know of in the US. It turned out they were just ignorant of what it took to get some talent inhouse and then keep them. After years of getting people that were down on their luck that also left the company as soon as they found a higher paying job, the company I'm talking about finally figured out what the true costs of low-balling is in the form of lost learning and continuous training of new people when people smarten up and leave.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1501972
Posted Monday, October 7, 2013 1:53 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:14 AM
Jeff Moden (10/5/2013)
I agree, Tom. Both moderated and unmoderated have problems. It think the best of both worlds are the unmoderated forums that ask you to interpret a graphic key to submit a post. At least that keeps the 'bots from posting SPAM.

Speaking as a moderator on a game forum, it's not just the bots you have to worry about--there are plenty of examples where it's pretty clear a human poster has posted the spam; I think they hire people to do it from countries where labour is dirt cheap. Such a person easily gets round a graphical captcha, for obvious reasons.
Post #1502016
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,1664,1674,1684,1694,170»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse