Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,1604,1614,1624,1634,164»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 02, 2013 8:53 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:18 PM
So, just saw a story that indicates Tom Clancy may have passed away.

I quite enjoyed Red Storm Rising and Hunt for Red October. Sum of All Fears was OK, never did get into any of the other books.
Post #1500805
Posted Wednesday, October 02, 2013 8:59 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:11 PM
jasona.work (10/2/2013)
So, just saw a story that indicates Tom Clancy may have passed away.

I quite enjoyed Red Storm Rising and Hunt for Red October. Sum of All Fears was OK, never did get into any of the other books.

Yeah I had just heard the same news.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1500807
Posted Wednesday, October 02, 2013 9:46 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 12:24 AM
Sean Lange (10/2/2013)
Jeff Moden (10/2/2013)

Oh my. I hope that's not what they're teaching in "university" now.

If you have read any of the other posts by that person you would know that if they actually went to "university" they didn't learn anything.

I didn't notice it was the same person.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1500821
Posted Wednesday, October 02, 2013 7:59 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:56 PM
GilaMonster (10/2/2013)
Sean Lange (10/2/2013)
Jeff Moden (10/2/2013)

If you have read any of the other posts by that person you would know that if they actually went to "university" they didn't learn anything.

I'm having difficulty deciding whether I should believe that he's incompetent and ignorant beond all belief or that he's just taking the piss out of us. Honestly, this last one is seems just very much like something I might like to do to describe something taught as serious IT at a certain well known University (a long way, in fact a few thousand miles west, from here: in prime-minister-ville in quakerland. It's far too coherent and meaningful to be a diagram of the recomended Prince2 dataflow between project components, and it clearly doesn't conform to the waterfall model (it's not purely linear). So there are plenty of things taught in respected academic institutions that are a good deal crazier than that. I hope that doesn't horrify you too much, Jeff; it used to really upset me that rubbish was being taught, until I decided to laugh instead of crying, so I think the hope you expressed is forlorn.

Tom
Post #1500967
Posted Thursday, October 03, 2013 1:21 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:33 PM
My Google-fu is failing me. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1501024
Posted Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:27 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:08 PM
ARRRGGGGHHHH!

Why, oh, why do people keep perpetuating (or creating) myths about backups? And in an article about interview questions no less.

I wouldn't hire anyone who answered the first question here the way that the article has listed. I mean, seriously, since when do recovery models dictate retention? That is so totally a subjective measure that is decided by the individual shops, NOT by SQL Server.

#headdesk.

I know what the author probably thought he was saying, but seriously, the way it's phrased is way beyond the pale and will get so many people in trouble.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1501120
Posted Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:40 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:18 PM
It was bad enough around here when it was just "furlough Fridays" or "furlough Mondays..."

But a furlough week? And the guy who would normally sit next to me (Oracle DBA) being out of the office for the moonth? And the servers are (so far) behaving themselves? And there's no one here who could approve a request to get a new VM stood up to replace an existing (at least I'd be able to work on installing SQL on it?)

I'm going to lose what little mind I've got...
Post #1501127
Posted Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:41 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:46 PM
GilaMonster (10/2/2013)
Sean Lange (10/2/2013)
Jeff Moden (10/2/2013)

Okay...that's scary. Tom - I think you have it right when you decided to laugh instead of cry over the garbage being taught to kids in school.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1501129
Posted Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:41 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:51 AM
Yeah, we might want to have a "Come to Odin" talk with Jeremy. This one for example:

...in order to keep the transaction log small...

No, no, no, no, f' no, no, no, no.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1501130
Posted Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:45 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:51 AM
Brandie Tarvin (10/3/2013)
ARRRGGGGHHHH!

Why, oh, why do people keep perpetuating (or creating) myths about backups? And in an article about interview questions no less.

I wouldn't hire anyone who answered the first question here the way that the article has listed. I mean, seriously, since when do recovery models dictate retention? That is so totally a subjective measure that is decided by the individual shops, NOT by SQL Server.

#headdesk.

I know what the author probably thought he was saying, but seriously, the way it's phrased is way beyond the pale and will get so many people in trouble.

Oh, and the questions. "Post all questions for a DBA with 3+ years experience..." Really? Here's an idea. HAVE 3+ years experience and you ought to be able to answer those questions.

Have no fear, that sound you hear is my teeth grinding, not tectonic plates shifting.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1501131
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,1604,1614,1624,1634,164»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse