Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,0974,0984,0994,1004,101»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
wolfkillj (8/19/2013)
Stefan Krzywicki (8/19/2013)
Sean Lange (8/19/2013)
The Dixie Flatline (8/19/2013)
Just looking in a minute, while stopping to grab a donut. I feel compelled to ask this water-cooler question. Have the posted questions continued to get worse over time?

Nah, once a question is posted, it stays about the same.

Actually some of them do actually get worse when rereading them.

Have they gotten worse or have you gotten better?

That depends on which inertial frame you are observing the system from.

If old posts are getting worse, would that mean that average is getting better and so answer to original question is No, questions are not getting worse :)
Post #1485914
Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 11:55 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:37 PM
Ville-Pekka Vahteala (8/19/2013)
wolfkillj (8/19/2013)
Sean Lange (8/19/2013)
Just looking in a minute, while stopping to grab a donut. I feel compelled to ask this water-cooler question. Have the posted questions continued to get worse over time?

If old posts are getting worse, would that mean that average is getting better and so answer to original question is No, questions are not getting worse :)

I think the number of people posting questions without first doing one iota of research has gone up. I also think the homework questions have increased. Don't get me wrong - there are some really good ones out there and I have learned a lot just from reading them. However, there are a lot of awful ones where people don't know how to research anything for themselves or even how to post a question.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1485929
Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 12:08 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:10 PM
Ed Wagner (8/19/2013)
Ville-Pekka Vahteala (8/19/2013)
wolfkillj (8/19/2013)
Sean Lange (8/19/2013)

I think the number of people posting questions without first doing one iota of research has gone up. I also think the homework questions have increased. Don't get me wrong - there are some really good ones out there and I have learned a lot just from reading them. However, there are a lot of awful ones where people don't know how to research anything for themselves or even how to post a question.

What about a user that has been around since January and keeps asking questions about data type conversions, never posting sample data and all of his requirements are urgent?

Is it ok if I sneak here?

Luis C.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Stephen Leacock

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1485933
Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 12:10 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:14 PM
Ed Wagner (8/19/2013)

I would tend to agree with this. It seems like, when I'm actually answering questions, I can do a simple search and get the answer to a lot more questions than in the past. You know that is when I don't know the answer off the top of my head.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #1485934
Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 12:13 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:22 AM
Ed Wagner (8/19/2013)

+1

A lot of questions posted recently can surely be solved with a quick Google search.

ps: this is my 3rd attempt to quote Ed. Thanks Luis and Jack for messing with the quote bug

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1485938
Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 12:21 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:52 AM
Ed Wagner (8/19/2013)

There's been a lot of questions lately that I've read and just walked away. Not sure if that's indicative of the question or my state of mind, but....

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1485942
Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 12:25 PM

SSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:22 AM
GilaMonster (8/19/2013)
Ed Wagner (8/19/2013)

There's been a lot of questions lately that I've read and just walked away. Not sure if that's indicative of the question or my state of mind, but....

I've had questions like these as well, where the posted question is just such a mess or unclear that I think it will take me too much time to make sense of it.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1485944
Posted Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:06 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:37 PM
Koen Verbeeck (8/19/2013)
GilaMonster (8/19/2013)
Ed Wagner (8/19/2013)

I've had questions like these as well, where the posted question is just such a mess or unclear that I think it will take me too much time to make sense of it.

Yeah...me too. There are quite a few questions where there simply isn't a request or question, so I don't even bother. For those with questions, I find some of them flat-out frightening and it makes me wonder how some people are working with a database at all. You'd think a basic understanding is required to get a job, but...

The most frustrating ones for me are where they give you only part of the information required to solve the problem or it has errors. You ask for more information and they still don't give it to you and just restate their original question.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1486209
Posted Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:22 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:10 AM
Ed Wagner (8/20/2013)
Koen Verbeeck (8/19/2013)
GilaMonster (8/19/2013)
Ed Wagner (8/19/2013)

Yeah...me too. There are quite a few questions where there simply isn't a request or question, so I don't even bother. For those with questions, I find some of them flat-out frightening and it makes me wonder how some people are working with a database at all. You'd think a basic understanding is required to get a job, but...

The most frustrating ones for me are where they give you only part of the information required to solve the problem or it has errors. You ask for more information and they still don't give it to you and just restate their original question.

I think there are quite a few people who get a job tending a database for a department because they've shown they know Excel better than anyone else in the group. The boss is told databases work better for lots of data, so they put their "data person" in charge of it with no training. Hiring an expert costs too much, training costs too much, so you get bad databases and people who don't really know what to do with them floundering around and ending up here.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
--------------------------------------
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1486246
Posted Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:19 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:37 AM

Actually, some of them change quite a lot - some OPs use the edit feature to change their posts when they realise that they have been demonstrating irrationality, impoliteness, and pig-headedness.

Tom
Post #1486356
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,0974,0984,0994,1004,101»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse