Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,0484,0494,0504,0514,052»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:25 PM
Koen Verbeeck (7/10/2013)
L' Eomot Inversé (7/9/2013)
(help - is it politically correct to call them one language, or two?)

Technically, Flemish does not exist as a language. It is a dialect of Dutch. More specifically, there is no such thing as THE Flemish dialect, but rather a whole bunch of regional dialects. But foreigners don't really know the differences, so they call it all "Flemish", just as we call all dialects from The Netherlands "Hollands" (although Holland is just one province of The Netherlands).

In practice, you can look at "Belgian Dutch or Flemish" versus "The Netherlands Dutch" just as you do with American and British English (and in extent Canadian and Australian English). It's the same language, but pronounced differently and some words can be different (movie / film). American English is also a grouping of several "dialects". I guess people in Texas speak English differently than people in New York. At least, that's what Hollywood tells me. [/quote]
That's answering the wrong question ("are they one language or two") which is anyway a question I would never ask of a pair as closely related as these because the only useful answer is "it depends on your definition". It doesn't answer the real question at all, which is about fashion rather than fact, ie what is the politically correct way to treat them. The question should perhaps have been phrased as: "regardless of whether they are actually one or two or more languages, which depends on definitions, which number can be used with the least risk of producing a silly reaction from those numerous and vociferous idiots who think that their worldview is the only correct one and that anyone who thinks differently is necessarily an ill-mannered and offensive person?".

Tom
Post #1472559
Posted Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:47 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Friday, November 21, 2014 12:12 PM
You ever have one of those days when you're trying to get information about a High Priority problem (so you can resolve the issue) and the user misunderstands you and reveals another High Priority problem that they didn't mean to tell you about?

<headdesk>

"Oh, sorry. Ignore everything I just said ..." because apparently they don't want me to fix everything all at once. They'd rather I do it piecemeal.

Nickel and dime. Nickel and dime. SIGH.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1472584
Posted Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:00 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Sunday, August 17, 2014 3:10 PM
Brandie Tarvin (7/11/2013)
You ever have one of those days when you're trying to get information about a High Priority problem (so you can resolve the issue) and the user misunderstands you and reveals another High Priority problem that they didn't mean to tell you about?

<headdesk>

"Oh, sorry. Ignore everything I just said ..." because apparently they don't want me to fix everything all at once. They'd rather I do it piecemeal.

I need about tree-fitty.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
Stop, children, what's that sound? -- Stephen Stills
Post #1472589
Posted Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:30 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:05 PM
The Dixie Flatline (7/11/2013)

<headdesk>

I need about tree-fitty.

play some fitty scent real loud so people will walk away.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1472654
Posted Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:52 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:50 PM

<headdesk>

I need about tree-fitty.

I ain't givin' you no tree-fitty, you %&@# Loch Ness Monster! Get your own %&@# money!

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Post #1472671
Posted Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:54 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Sunday, August 17, 2014 3:10 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/11/2013)

<headdesk>

I need about tree-fitty.

play some fitty scent real loud so people will walk away.

Steve, did I ever tell you about the time I met the Loch Ness Monster?

edited to add: Dangit, Wolf, you typed faster than me.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
Stop, children, what's that sound? -- Stephen Stills
Post #1472672
Posted Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:03 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:10 AM
OK I will show my true American colors here. My wife's company just got a new client in Newfoundland. She is going to have to travel there this fall at some point and wants to take me with her. This sounds like a great opportunity. Then the realization that I don't have a passport hits me. This is probably unbelievable to many of you that a guy in his mid 40s doesn't have a passport. The US is a big place and I used to able to go to Canada and Mexico with no passport. The last time I truly traveled abroad was the summer I spent in England when I was 10. That means my passport expired more than 25 years ago. There are a lot of extra hoops to jump through because I have not had a passport for so long. It would actually be easier if I had never had one before. The upside is that if it comes through in time I should be able to spend a week in Vancouver in September too since she has some client meetings there.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1472741
Posted Thursday, July 11, 2013 2:48 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 1:43 AM
L' Eomot Inversé (7/11/2013)
Koen Verbeeck (7/10/2013)
L' Eomot Inversé (7/9/2013)
(help - is it politically correct to call them one language, or two?)

Technically, Flemish does not exist as a language. It is a dialect of Dutch. More specifically, there is no such thing as THE Flemish dialect, but rather a whole bunch of regional dialects. But foreigners don't really know the differences, so they call it all "Flemish", just as we call all dialects from The Netherlands "Hollands" (although Holland is just one province of The Netherlands).

In practice, you can look at "Belgian Dutch or Flemish" versus "The Netherlands Dutch" just as you do with American and British English (and in extent Canadian and Australian English). It's the same language, but pronounced differently and some words can be different (movie / film). American English is also a grouping of several "dialects". I guess people in Texas speak English differently than people in New York. At least, that's what Hollywood tells me.

That's answering the wrong question ("are they one language or two") which is anyway a question I would never ask of a pair as closely related as these because the only useful answer is "it depends on your definition". It doesn't answer the real question at all, which is about fashion rather than fact, ie what is the politically correct way to treat them. The question should perhaps have been phrased as: "regardless of whether they are actually one or two or more languages, which depends on definitions, which number can be used with the least risk of producing a silly reaction from those numerous and vociferous idiots who think that their worldview is the only correct one and that anyone who thinks differently is necessarily an ill-mannered and offensive person?".

Groan, so much typing and it didn't answer your question
I think of it as only one language. So when I talk about Dutch, it's about one language, regardles if it is spoken in Belgium or The Netherlands.
I'm not sure if the Dutch people agree with me here

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1472785
Posted Thursday, July 11, 2013 2:50 PM

SSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 1:43 AM
Anyone have an idea what's wrong with this guy's SQL Agent?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1471588-1292-1.aspx#bm1472553

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1472789
Posted Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:11 PM

SSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:59 PM
Koen Verbeeck (7/11/2013)
Anyone have an idea what's wrong with this guy's SQL Agent?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1471588-1292-1.aspx#bm1472553

There's a man who leads a life of danger. To everyone he meets he stays a stranger. Oops... wrong agent, never mind.
Post #1472813
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,0484,0494,0504,0514,052»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse