Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««3,9353,9363,9373,9383,939»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:23 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/11/2013)
Lynn Pettis (4/11/2013)
Jan Van der Eecken (4/11/2013)
Lynn Pettis (4/11/2013)
This really makes one want to help, doesn't it.

Dunno, but it really looks like he was dumped into getting this job done.

Yes, but what happens when it breaks or needs to be modified? Right back here expecting us to fix it. Least he is honest about not being strong on the coding side, but I just can't get motivated to help when he wants the code. I mean really, what good are ideas if you can't translate them into code.

Then this is a place you ignore the post, move on.

I think this is the type of person I want to help learn things. I don't want to give them every answer, but help them investigate a bit.

I agree on both counts, but this is one to tackle when there is more time to devote to it. Don't have it right now which is why I haven't posted. But it appears that my post here did drive a few to go look and see what they could do.

Perhaps later today I'll see what I can do if others haven't already.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1441447
Posted Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:59 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:27 AM
Lynn Pettis (4/11/2013)
Lynn Pettis (4/11/2013)
Lynn Pettis (4/11/2013)

Yes, but what happens when it breaks or needs to be modified? Right back here expecting us to fix it. Least he is honest about not being strong on the coding side, but I just can't get motivated to help when he wants the code. I mean really, what good are ideas if you can't translate them into code.

I think this is the type of person I want to help learn things. I don't want to give them every answer, but help them investigate a bit.

I agree on both counts, but this is one to tackle when there is more time to devote to it. Don't have it right now which is why I haven't posted. But it appears that my post here did drive a few to go look and see what they could do.

To me, it looks like the OP gave it a really good try. The confusion on the part of others is that they don't understand why someone would want to set up email on a table that no one intends to update to say it's been updated. That's the whole idea... if someone does update a table that's not supposed to be updated, then they want to know about it right away.

This also wouldn't be the first time we helped someone who might have no chance of actually being able to support the code in the future.

I agree with Steve... this is actually the type of person that we want to help.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1441523
Posted Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:25 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Jeff Moden (4/11/2013)
Lynn Pettis (4/11/2013)
Lynn Pettis (4/11/2013)
Lynn Pettis (4/11/2013)

To me, it looks like the OP gave it a really good try. The confusion on the part of others is that they don't understand why someone would want to set up email on a table that no one intends to update to say it's been updated. That's the whole idea... if someone does update a table that's not supposed to be updated, then they want to know about it right away.

This also wouldn't be the first time we helped someone who might have no chance of actually being able to support the code in the future.

I agree with Steve... this is actually the type of person that we want to help.

I agree whole heartedly, just need to have the time hold hands. Didn't have that right now.

Lynn Pettis

For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables

Post #1441526
Posted Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:35 PM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:10 PM
All that guy needed was a pointer or two.
Interesting to see how things changed once people had a chance to give it a better look.

Sounds like they are closing some roads around Duluth.
Might be a dicey drive to Grand Marais in the morning.
Someone should tell mother nature snow and ice are not supposed to happen in April!
Post #1441538
Posted Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:00 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:58 AM
SQLRNNR (4/10/2013)
WayneS (4/10/2013)
Anyone have experience with Dynamics AX 2009 and using stored procedures with it instead of the cursor-ridden DAX "language"?

I DO. I DO

Then I'll pass this on to you! (lol)

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1441544
Posted Friday, April 12, 2013 6:32 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, December 8, 2014 6:44 AM
Lynn Pettis (4/5/2013)
GilaMonster (4/5/2013)
Am I the only person who gets 'I don't think that's true' replies to their posts from a certain person and am I the only one annoyed by it?

I can justify and explain just about anything I state here, but sometimes the time required to produce a detailed counter-claim is just too much.

Nope. I get just as annoyed by most of that individuals posts.

I don't think that's true

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1441668
Posted Friday, April 12, 2013 7:12 AM

SSC-Insane

jcrawf02 (4/12/2013)
Lynn Pettis (4/5/2013)
GilaMonster (4/5/2013)
Am I the only person who gets 'I don't think that's true' replies to their posts from a certain person and am I the only one annoyed by it?

I can justify and explain just about anything I state here, but sometimes the time required to produce a detailed counter-claim is just too much.

Nope. I get just as annoyed by most of that individuals posts.

I don't think that's true

Okay, I just get annoyed at the ones that annoy me.

Lynn Pettis

Post #1441680
Posted Saturday, April 13, 2013 2:25 PM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:16 AM
Yes they are. I think because people are not reading blogs or attending free SQLSaturday or SQL in the City (plug) training, so of course their questions will get worse.

Jim Murphy
http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
@SQLMurph
Post #1442053
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:45 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:06 PM
Three days of nothing...

It's quiet...
TOO quiet...
Post #1442894
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:48 AM

SSC-Insane

jasona.work (4/16/2013)
Three days of nothing...

It's quiet...
TOO quiet...

Either nobody has had any complaints, nor needed someone to jump into an issue, or else everyone is just to darn busy to visit the water cooler.

Perhaps all of the above.

Lynn Pettis

Post #1442897
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««3,9353,9363,9373,9383,939»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse