Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««3,9063,9073,9083,9093,910»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:26 PM
Sean Lange (3/7/2013)
Lynn Pettis (3/7/2013)
wolfkillj (3/7/2013)
Lynn Pettis (3/7/2013)
wolfkillj (3/7/2013)
Lynn Pettis (3/7/2013)
jcrawf02 (3/7/2013)
You're absolutely right, the players should pay attention to what the ref is calling, not what the rules say, because then they know what they can get away with...

Not so much what they can get away with, as I have let trifling infractions go or not called an obvious foul as the team had advantage.

Also, we listen to the players, if they aren't complaining about how physical a game may be, we might not call some things. If we hear complaints from both both sides, we'll tighten up the game.

My view as a player has always been that I don't particularly care whether the referee is calling a tight game (e.g., penalizing every infraction, no matter how trivial) or a loose game (e.g., "letting them play", as we say in the US) as long as the calls are consistent. That way, I know where the line is drawn both in terms of my own play and what my opponents will get away with. It's very frustrating when conduct that the ref has permitted for the whole game suddenly becomes a foul or vice versa.

Sometimes we will tighten a game simply because one team maybe showing signs of frustration. This can lead to more aggressive play or retaliation. If we tighten the game we can usually control this. One sign is when players start getting chippy, playing the players more than the ball.

We have also loosened up at times when it is apparent the players a showing restraint, and we let them play more. It all comes down to a "feel for the game.' It works great when we get it right, but we are also human.

Tightening up when players get chippy isn't what I meant, though. Just about everyone on the field can see the difference in clipping an opponent's ankle during a legitimate effort to play the ball and, for example, a chippy hack at an opponent's ankles. The same contact might occur with the same result, but most people understand why the chippy hack gets whistled while the honest tackle gone awry is excused. Plus, a good officiating crew sees and responds to the early signs that their control of the game may be slipping so they can tighten up with just small adjustments. That's a lot different than watching opponents (and teammates) repeatedly get mugged (like lying-face-down-in-the-dirt-with-cleat-marks-up-the-back-and-over-the-top-of-the-head mugged) for 45-50 minutes, then getting whistled when your feet just get tangled up with an opponent's while going for a 50-50 ball.

This:

That's a lot different than watching opponents (and teammates) repeatedly get mugged (like lying-face-down-in-the-dirt-with-cleat-marks-up-the-back-and-over-the-top-of-the-head mugged) for 45-50 minutes, then getting whistled when your feet just get tangled up with an opponent's while going for a 50-50 ball.

tells me the crew isn't doing their job. The best and simpliest way to look at this is Safe, Fair, Fun. Our first job is safety and from what you described that isn't safe. Shoould have been called a heck of lot earlier. Plus, I can usually tell when two players have just gotten tangled up playing for the ball versus a play on the player instead of the ball. Doesn't mean I won't miss it or make a wrong call, just that I normally can tell.

Lynn when are coming out here to train our refs? Our league refs are all high school kids.

Where is out here?

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1428201
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:08 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:56 PM
Lynn Pettis (3/7/2013)
Where is out here?

Kansas City area. I am actually in a town just to the West of the metropolitan area with a few miles of farms in between.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1428229
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:14 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:26 PM
Sean Lange (3/7/2013)
Lynn Pettis (3/7/2013)
Where is out here?

Kansas City area. I am actually in a town just to the West of the metropolitan area with a few miles of farms in between.

Missouri or Kansas?

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1428238
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:27 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:56 PM
Lynn Pettis (3/7/2013)
Sean Lange (3/7/2013)
Lynn Pettis (3/7/2013)
Where is out here?

Missouri or Kansas?

Kansas side.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1428243
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 4:22 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 12:09 AM
Revenant (3/4/2013)
Evil Kraig F (3/4/2013)
Revenant (3/4/2013)
I always find it frustrating when someone asks me or someone else to do things for which T-SQL was not meant, in this case parsing multilevel XML with multiple occurrences of the same tag, yet prohibits use of a tool that would make it a breeze - in this case XML LINQ via CLR Integration.

Sorry Revenant. Don't mean to be the cause of your frustration in this case. Clean CLR isn't what scares my DBA's, it's letting my app coders loose with it.

It was not meant at you, Craig. I have been in that situation and I know how it feels.

I feel the same way... I just can't understand why anyone would actually use XML.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1428316
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 4:31 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 8:13 AM
Jeff Moden (3/7/2013)
I just can't understand why anyone would actually use XML.

The only possible reason is so you can say your indexes are SeXI.

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #1428320
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:42 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 12:09 AM
Paul White (3/7/2013)
Jeff Moden (3/7/2013)
I just can't understand why anyone would actually use XML.

The only possible reason is so you can say your indexes are SeXI.

That and to give manufacturers the incentive to make even larger and faster storage devices, CPUs, switches, routers, interfaces, and backup devices.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1428352
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 9:13 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:24 PM
dwain.c (3/6/2013)
Lynn Pettis (3/6/2013)
Several years ago my oldest daughter's JV soccer coach once confieded "I knew we were in trouble when half the team asked what was offsides?"

Well, I've just seen the equivalent here with the question "What is SSMS?"

And you are doing what with SQL Server???

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Be afraid, be very afraid!

LOL

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1428361
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 9:15 PM

SSCoach

Sean Lange (3/7/2013)
Lynn Pettis (3/7/2013)
Sean Lange (3/7/2013)
Lynn Pettis (3/6/2013)
Several years ago my oldest daughter's JV soccer coach once confieded "I knew we were in trouble when half the team asked what was offsides?"

Well, I've just seen the equivalent here with the question "What is SSMS?"

And you are doing what with SQL Server???

And I thought only the parents were that clueless about soccer here in the States.

Someday when we are in the same town and have some time, I'll explain the dynamics of soccer in the area I live and why I wasn't surprised by this comment.

I do plan on meeting many of the Threadizens at some point.

I too would like to meet many Threadizens.

Sadly where I live, many of the coaches don't understand offsides. I frequently even am forced to remind the "refs" of the rules. For example, last season my team stole the ball after a goal kick and scored. Even though it was our goal I had to remind the ref that a goal kick must get out of the box before the opposing team may touch the ball. One of the refs even once gave a corner to the team by their own goal!!! When I told them they got it wrong they were so confused they tried to give our team a corner.

Oh no, that takes the cake.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Post #1428362
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 9:20 PM

SSCoach

jcrawf02 (3/7/2013)
You're absolutely right, the players should pay attention to what the ref is calling, not what the rules say, because then they know what they can get away with...

Basic rule of most sports involving a referee.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Post #1428363
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««3,9063,9073,9083,9093,910»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse