Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««3,8913,8923,8933,8943,895»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:54 AM
Revenant (2/8/2013)
Lynn, remember the bell curve: in any situation 50 percent of the involved are below the average, and 5 percent are on the tail end. That's how normal distribution works and there is nothing you can do about it.

That's odd, in my high school almost everyone was above average.

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #1417858
Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 11:58 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:54 AM
L' Eomot Inversé (2/8/2013)
Brandie Tarvin (2/8/2013)
It is morning and my muscles want exercise. Walking, running, jumping jacks, whatever.

You may not be aware what a jumping jack is on this side of the pond. I can't imagine you want to use something like this as an exercise tool, and the other British meaning of "jumping jacks" involves - no, I dare not write it in a forum with so many innocent participants

Of course it is rather amusing to speculate on what may be covered by that "whatever" when it follows jumping jacks.

Ewww, Tom! I hesitate to ask what "squat thrusts" must mean over there.

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #1417861
Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 12:08 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 5:18 PM
Lynn Pettis (2/8/2013)
Revenant (2/8/2013)
Lynn Pettis (2/8/2013)
Am I (shudder) an idiot?

No. Is there anything that make you think you are?

Not really, other than having someone call me one here on the forums.

Don't worry Lynn, on performance so far being called in idiot by that guy seems to be a consequence of being accurate. I imagine that his next step will be to edit the original post to make it say what he now claims it said, unless he is not competent even to do that.

Even if he does, he can't correct it in the quote in my post, so it is still there for all to see.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1417864
Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 12:32 PM

SSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 5:45 PM
Well, THAT is certainly interesting. I'm not even sure what it is.

It's a tube of heavy paper filled with althernating lengths of fuse and tightly confined piles of gunpowder. Light the blue end and retire (rapidly). As the fuse burns to each powder section that section explodes loudly and the thing jumps some distance; if it's well designed, the next powder section explodes just as the thing is landing from the previous jump. Since it isn't particularly rigid, what direction it will go in at each stage is unpredictable.

They are now banned in Britain, which takes a lot of the fun out of November 5th; we can't have jumping jacks, proper catherine wheels (which are called jumping jacks in some parts of the world), aerial shells, or even simple bangers any more - all banned. Fortunately health and safety regulations haven't reached such extremes in much of the rest of Europe. I've seen a few clips on utube of people demoing things claimed to be jumping jacks, but the are not remotely like the real thing: too quiet, and the jumps are really tiny - utterly disappointing.

But no, that's not what I was referring to. This is.

Oh. I remember that being very popular with Physical Training Instructors. I did a lot of them when I was young, bsometimes as punishment and sometimes as warm-up, but until now I didn't know that they were called jumping jacks on your side of the pond.

Tom
Post #1417875
Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 3:48 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 2:12 PM
RBarryYoung (2/8/2013)
Revenant (2/8/2013)
Lynn, remember the bell curve: in any situation 50 percent of the involved are below the average, and 5 percent are on the tail end. That's how normal distribution works and there is nothing you can do about it.

If Lynn is an idiot, and I was lucky enough to be even half as smart, I think I would be mensa material.

Nice to see Barry's smiling face again!
Post #1417935
Posted Friday, February 8, 2013 11:36 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:53 PM
RBarryYoung (2/8/2013)
Revenant (2/8/2013)

Ah! Thanks for catching me up on whatever happened with at least one of the children of Lake Woebegone.
Post #1417980
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:27 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 3:40 PM
Lynn Pettis (2/8/2013)
I think I know someone who may be looking for a new job.

Um, oh wow - dumbfounded

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1418165
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:29 PM

SSC-Insane

Lynn Pettis (2/8/2013)
Revenant (2/8/2013)
Lynn Pettis (2/8/2013)
Am I (shudder) an idiot?

Don't worry Lynn, on performance so far being called in idiot by that guy seems to be a consequence of being accurate. I imagine that his next step will be to edit the original post to make it say what he now claims it said, unless he is not competent even to do that.

Link to thread please...

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
Post #1418166
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:35 PM

SSC-Insane

Well, THAT is certainly interesting. I'm not even sure what it is.

It's a tube of heavy paper filled with althernating lengths of fuse and tightly confined piles of gunpowder. Light the blue end and retire (rapidly). As the fuse burns to each powder section that section explodes loudly and the thing jumps some distance; if it's well designed, the next powder section explodes just as the thing is landing from the previous jump. Since it isn't particularly rigid, what direction it will go in at each stage is unpredictable.

We have those here - though they look different. They are a lot of fun during the traditional fireworks holidays.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
Post #1418168
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:48 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:49 PM
SQLRNNR (2/10/2013)
Lynn Pettis (2/8/2013)
Revenant (2/8/2013)
Lynn Pettis (2/8/2013)
Am I (shudder) an idiot?

Link to thread please...

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1417493-391-1.aspx#bm1417791

The OP may have been a bit stung by my use of lmgtfy.com.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1418176
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««3,8913,8923,8933,8943,895»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse