Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:14 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 10:02 AM
I'm sorry to say this guys but this thread is sounding a little elitist.

I can certainly understand the frustration caused by a distinct lack of detail provided (or not) by OPs, however, I also think that there are a genuine number of people out there that have a DBA-type role dumped on top of their usual job. If SQL Server was not your main priority you wouldn't want to be wasting time that could be spent on your main role, whatever that might be, searching around the internet for a SQL solution when a good repository of information lies within communities like this.

Having said that, there is no excuse for OPs not providing the relevant amount of information required to help solve their problem; if there isn't enough info, point them to Jeff's article and leave the thread alone. Likewise, if the answer can be found in BoL, point the OP to BoL. If the community treats these posts consistently and points people to the source of the answer, maybe (and it's just a maybe) the OPs will start to build their knowledge and even learn some researching skills.

Lastly, there's the obvious bad designs (a la Jeff's example). I know when I've pointed out a problem in the design of a system in a post the general replies have been "hey, I didn't build it" and "I can't do anything about that"; which are rather sorry statements. I do try to point out how a to better design the system and save people a lot of time but most of the OPs think they have too much red tape to cut through to the get the changes made or that they are not in a position within the company to drive, or even recommend, system changes. Hopefully, OPs can start using their new research skills - forced upon them by the community not doing the easy work for them - to find out just how important a DBA is. :D

Personally, my cage gets rattled when the question posed is blatantly homework.

Ade

A Freudian Slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
For detail-enriched answers, ask detail-enriched questions...
Post #604952
Posted Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:00 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 6:48 PM
I don't think the comments here are meant to be elitist, just frustration. There have been threads on some forums where more information has been requested, the OP has been pointed to Jeff's article (not once but many times), and they just don't get it.

To make things more frustrating, they aren't getting the answers they want on that thread, so they start another one, asking the same question and still not providing the information needed to help them.

Frustration.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #605102
Posted Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:07 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:07 AM
I'm trying to be elitist.
Post #605113
Posted Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:14 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 10:02 AM
Michael Earl (11/19/2008)
I'm trying to be elitist.

Is it possible to be constructively elitist?

Ade

A Freudian Slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
For detail-enriched answers, ask detail-enriched questions...
Post #605176
Posted Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:38 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, October 9, 2014 1:15 PM
I think in most cases companies try to put double duties on SQL Developers and now they have to do administrative work. It is definitely in my company, all the SQL Developers are DBAs too. My company sends them to get a MCDBA certificate but the certificate definitely does not make them into an experienced DBA overnight. Actually the person who just got the certificate never touch SQL Server 2005.
Post #605204
Posted Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:30 PM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Sunday, October 5, 2014 4:56 PM
To answer the original question - yes, they do seem to be getting worse.

I have been using this site for a couple of years now, and have yet to actually post a question. I have posted a couple of responses, but it is rare that I have felt the need (I'm usually beaten to it by one of the elite, and typically with a better response than I might have given)

Despite my lack of interaction, I find the site enormously helpful. I skip over many articles, reading just what piques my interest. Occassionally finding something very timely to what I am working on. I like to know why a solution works, and will research things myself rather than simply post a question - but then I'm old school (or just old). I hardly ever search historic articles, but I find this site immensely useful just with the daily posts.

I have noted how helpful, understanding, and patient all the regular respondents are. In fact, I'm often astounded at how much time and effort some of you guys spend posting responses - the likes of Jeff, Steve and Gail, to name a few.

Elitist, no. Elite, yes. The site is successful because of all your efforts, and it is appreciated.

Chris
Post #605347
Posted Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:45 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 10:58 AM
I have noted how helpful, understanding, and patient all the regular respondents are. In fact, I'm often astounded at how much time and effort some of you guys spend posting responses - the likes of Jeff, Steve and Gail, to name a few.

Elitist, no. Elite, yes. The site is successful because of all your efforts, and it is appreciated.

I roundly second what the "Naked Ape" has said, and would like to add Gsquared, Ninja's_RGRus to the list of those who should be thanked.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Post #605356
Posted Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:55 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 4:08 PM
Jeff Moden (11/18/2008)
consider the answer that one wiz kid gave...

"You should be using derived column transformation, and use substring or available string functions. This would help." ... and that's ALL that was given as an answer.

Technically correct and, yet, totally useless.

Those are irritating, along with times where people post a badly rephrased copy of an answer one or two posts above.

What really gets to me are the answers that aren't just wrong, but are extremely dangerous. Like the one I saw at another forum where the OP had a problem with a full transaction log. The suggestion someone gave was to stop SQL and delete the tran log file...

I get more frustrated and upset with bad (dangerous) answers than with basic questions. I know the people are trying to help, but....

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #605395
Posted Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:03 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, October 3, 2014 2:23 AM
There are a lot of people that post questions where they don’t even know how to ask the question, can’t make themselves understood in English, probably shouldn’t be working with SQL Server, are posting their homework or job interview questions, etc. “I need a database for my data. Urgent, plz help!” Or post 1000 lines of code followed by “I have an urgent error. Please fix.”

I usually don’t bother with these; I just don’t have the patience. I answer the questions I actually feel like answering, and don’t worry about the rest. I find this refreshing, because I have the choice. I get plenty of requests at work that are no better, and I do have to deal with them. “I need write access to the server.” “Setup a new server. I need it in one-half hour because the vendor is coming in to install their software. They need 200 GB of memory and a hard drive.”

If you enjoy venting about these types of posts, feel free to jump into these long running favorites:

Twit List
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=69568

Trigger Madness
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57741

Urgent!! respond NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=107216

It's dead, Jim
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67782

And my personal favorite
Not Even Stupid
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=79305

Post #605402
Posted Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:28 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 6:53 PM
There are definitely people posting interview or homework questions. Please feel free to call them on it if you don't want to answer.

And participate where you can. Don't feel bad about ignoring questions for people that don't want to try to help themselves.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #605483
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse