Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1,7561,7571,7581,7591,760»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 6:38 AM
Jeff Moden (8/17/2010)
Alvin Ramard (8/17/2010)

I would appreciate if any of you who are going to use remote speakers, or are going to broadcast your user group meetings, could post the URL in here. We're considering trying either/both for our PASS Chapter and I'd like to see what the experience is like for the remote viewer.

I got the chance to catch most of Grant's presentation to Jason's group the other night. From a technology point of view, I was happy with how it worked. Great presentation too. I learned quite a bit about reading execution plans.

Grant,

What technology did you use? Other than "GOTO MEETING", I've never done a remote presentation before.

LiveMeeting. I've used it a bunch of times so far. It's very simple to share the desktop, video, voice. Works fine.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #970854
Posted Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:19 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 6:38 AM
jcrawf02 (8/17/2010)
Curious, when you're presenting remotely folks don't have a webcam pointing at the crowd at all? Seems like that should be a gimme, otherwise you could be talking to yourself in a closet, which can get boring after an hour or two.

You can have a camera on the crowd, but honestly, I can't focus on that and what I'm saying at the same time. It's not like talking in person where I can work eye contact while I say something. Plus, if you're sharing your desktop, in order to look at the video of the people, the people are looking at the video of the people looking at the video of the people looking at the...

flipping recursion... where was I? Anyway, you get the idea.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #970855
Posted Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:26 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:23 PM
I'd certainly like to try it with a camera on the crowd. I did one remote one for the Charlotte group and struggled to present to an empty room.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #970857
Posted Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:30 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 8:11 PM
Attn: all User Group presentation coordinators. I've been working on converting my article on Comparing Table Variables with Temporary Tables into a presentation. If you're interested in having me do a remote presentation, PM me. Just be forewarned - it's been many years since I've given presentations, so I'm sure that the first few will show how rusty I am with this. I can provide a PP slidedeck and code samples to enable you to decide, if necessary

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #970860
Posted Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:05 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:43 AM
Steve, that's crap. Really hope you run again.

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #971260
Posted Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:15 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Thanks. I shall decline to comment on PASS further at this time.

Post #971268
Posted Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:25 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:41 PM
Steve Jones - Editor (8/18/2010)

I'm pretty sure we all feel the same disappointment about the PASS decision and the same confusion about the reason given.

Wise move in not making any further comments. There's probably nothing beneficial that can be said at this time.

I'm pretty sure that the PASS decision does not reflect the feelings of the majority of PASS members.

Hang in there. WE are still behind you!!

Alvin Ramard
Memphis PASS Chapter

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.
Post #971279
Posted Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:29 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Thanks, Alvin. Appreciate the kind words.

Post #971281
Posted Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:33 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:45 AM
Steve, you have rabid fan group all willing to be whipped up into vicious mob mentality. Take advantage of it.

(have us raid the Nerds factory or something)

My condolences on the issue. I do hope you run again.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #971285
Posted Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:46 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, August 1, 2014 9:46 PM
Steve Jones - Editor (8/18/2010)

PASS' loss. I'm shocked. It is their loss and they probably don't realize it.

I've been considering joining PASS for a while and getting more involved with the community. This seals the deal for me not to join PASS. An organization that cannot take a little criticism from a revered community leader isn't and organization I want to associate with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Use Full Links:
KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum
Post #971338
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1,7561,7571,7581,7591,760»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse