Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Life is Like a Manure Spreader Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 8:48 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Life is Like a Manure Spreader

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #595657
Posted Monday, November 3, 2008 1:28 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:53 AM
Reminds me of a Tom Lehrer quote - "Life is like a sewer; what you get out of it depends on what you put into it", although I prefer to ascribe to the Small Faces analogy - "Life is just a bowl of All Bran; you wake up every morning and it's there" (opening line to "Lazy Sunday Afternoon").

Regarding the more serious point, my general feeling is "of course". In almost any form of business, you can't achieve what you want without convincing someone to do some thing for you. Since that means collaboration of some sort, the idea of "we've got to work together" is self-evident. And, as in any form of collaboration, it'll work best if you take the trouble to find out what the other person/people's motivators are.

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Post #595662
Posted Monday, November 3, 2008 3:33 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:20 AM
Compromise - No! Never!

Evaporating Cloud resolution - Yes!

Theory of Constraints - Yes!

Google it and reap the wisdom - here endeth the lesson. :D

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work
Post #595689
Posted Monday, November 3, 2008 4:01 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 8:53 AM
Like the theories, Shaun. Unfortunately, they both state one basic assumption in common - that everyone is working towards a common goal - which may well not be correct.

As a simplistic example, two friends going into business together, each with a 50% stake, clearly have to work together to be successful. However, if one believes the overriding priority to be market penetration whilst the other believes it to be maximisation of revenue, there's no "right" viewpoint, and a compromise will be necessary.

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Post #595697
Posted Monday, November 3, 2008 4:06 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

The purpose of a business is to make money now and more in the future, nothing else. viva capatalism. :D

Therefore the only goal is maximum revenue.

Anyone who does not believe this has already failed.:)

Of course one should pursue the goal with ethics and doing the right thing. ;)

Post #595699
Posted Monday, November 3, 2008 4:11 AM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, December 19, 2013 2:03 PM
Steve, your sentiment could not be more appropriate for a day-before-election editorial. :D
It applies to so many aspects of our existence.
Post #595700
Posted Monday, November 3, 2008 4:14 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

'Politicians are like manure spreaders' - hmm has a certain oder to it :D

Post #595701
Posted Monday, November 3, 2008 5:58 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 7:03 AM
Steve, wouldn't it make sense to just train the horses to use the top of the hill and avoid you manually spreading it around yourself? Doesn't manure roll down hill?

Good editorial. I've gotten better at listening and compromising as I've aged, but the hard part is that if both sides aren't doing it, it still doesn't work out so well. I haven't reach the zen plateau where I can listen and compromise without expecting the other party to do the same. One technique I've used that helps some is to use a white board or flip chart to center the discussion, rather than having two people go toe to toe. List the points on each side, make them get it all on the board, then you've got a puzzle with limits.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #595744
Posted Monday, November 3, 2008 6:02 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:55 AM
It takes two parties to compromise. I find out even I am willing to compromise, the other party refuses. It is people's pride getting in the way. Some people feel if they compromise, they lose power.
Post #595749
Posted Monday, November 3, 2008 6:56 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 8:48 AM
top of the hill would be nice, edge of the gully better. Unfortunately some seem resistant to that training. Like in business, some are happy to drop where they eat (work), even if that's inside the barn.

Of course we have a few nice ones that will go over to the same pile and make deposits on a regular basis.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #595775
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse