Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

SQLServerCentral Friday Crossword No 2 Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, April 04, 2014 5:19 PM
Where do we look for those answers? When I go back to the article, all I see is the puzzle.

Thanks,
- JJ
Post #511750
Posted Thursday, June 05, 2008 5:28 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, October 26, 2008 8:42 PM
you should see the answers soon, just requested tony davis about this. any other feedback on the puzzle?

--ravi nangunoori
www.dotnetvideos.net

Post #512014
Posted Thursday, June 05, 2008 5:40 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:10 AM
HI All,

I love this puzzle idea it's great.

I have a suggestion that if you want to blank our something that you have typed in that you have to put in 10 spaces if it's a 10 letter word, can we not just leave it blank and have the word blanked out?

Thanks
Chris

----------------------------------------------
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

Posting Best Practices
Numbers / Tally Tables

SQL-4-Life
Post #512019
Posted Thursday, June 05, 2008 6:02 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Chris, i suppose you can leave it blank,then, what is the fun? it is a brain teaser, just search online books for sql server or google to get some answers. once you do search, you remember the answer for ever and am sure you will get a feeling of accomplishment. if you do complete the puzzle you will qualify for a prize from publisher.

thanks for your feedback.

--ravi nangunoori
www.dotnetvideos.net

Post #512037
Posted Thursday, June 05, 2008 8:35 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

I enjoyed doing the puzzle. I'm not a DBA per-say and so it was fun to see how many I could get on my own and how many answers I could get with additional research. I was happy at how many I could get on my own. However, even with lots of research, I still couldn't get all the answers.

To keep the puzzle fun and the level of question about where it is, I would not do it too often. Maybe once a quarter or even twice a year. Just my 2 cents.

Also, if I get one answer wrong and realize it after getting another answer in the puzzle, I need to be able to erase the first answer. It wasn't clear how to do that. I think the above postings tried to address that issue by saying to put in spaces, but I'm not sure I understood the above postings.

That's my feedback.
Post #512168
Posted Thursday, June 05, 2008 8:44 AM
SSC Veteran

I have 3 more suggestions:

1) make it easy for everyone who participated (ie, sent in their best guess at answers) to get the official answers. If the official method of turning in our efforts is via e-mail, then at least send an e-mail back to the participants with a link to the answers when they are posted.

2) clearly state in the article up-front what date the answers will be available and then honor that date.

3) do not post the answers in the article itself. That way, people in the future can still play. Instead, when the answers are available, put a link to the answers on the puzzle/article page. That way, when people are ready to check their answers, they can.
Post #512178
Posted Thursday, June 05, 2008 8:47 AM
Forum Newbie

JJ, if you want to erase an answer, just click on the cell where the word starts, it will open up the clue with your prefilled (in this case, the wrong answer) and just delete and include the new answer and click OK, that should do the trick.

--ravi
www.dotnetvideos.net

Post #512181
Posted Thursday, June 05, 2008 8:52 AM
SSC Veteran

Ravi: The problem was that I didn't have an alternative answer. All I knew was that say the third letter had to be a 'p' instead of a 'g'. So, I needed to actually erase the first answer. Because it wouldn't let me erase (as near as I could tell), instead, I had to put in X's for the letters I didn't know. This cluttered the puzzle, making it harder to see which words I still had to work on, and was a pain in terms of user experience. Maybe spaces would have worked, but that would still have been more effort that I wanted. None of this is a major deal. I'm just giving feedback.
Thanks,
- JJ
Post #512189
Posted Thursday, June 05, 2008 8:58 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:10 AM
HI Agree,

Having to put in spaces wasn't idea when you realised you had the wrong answer but had now replacement for it

----------------------------------------------
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

Posting Best Practices
Numbers / Tally Tables

SQL-4-Life
Post #512192
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse