Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Auto Save / Auto recover in Management Studio? Expand / Collapse
Author
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, March 31, 2014 9:19 AM
I have come in today to find my PC rebooted, I suspect due to windows updates, (it decides to reboot with no warning sometimes I swear)

Anyhow, I left management studio open with about 6 queries on the go, some of which were not saved, on the whole its no biggy today, as the important ones were saved, but it does mean some extra work to get back to where I was, kinda annoying.

Is there no auto save / auto recover facility - I just opened Mgnt studio and it just opened as usual, no 'recover files' prompt or anything - I looked in the options for ages and didn't find anything, I also looked on the books online, again nothing. I googled for it and found someone who had recovered documents...

And, here's the coolest part, I was working on some SQL files at the exact time of the disaster and well, I went to the \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\SQL Server Management Studio\Backup Files\ directory and found a directory of Solution1. In it were 3 files with similarly ugly names (~AutoRecover.~vsC.sql, ~AutoRecover.~vsC.sql~RF93d469.TMP, etc...) and the AutoRecover file was 2KB (the others were 0KB). Anyway, I opened up the file and viola! I actually recovered the .sql script I was working on at the time I dropped my laptop (well, I still blame this on Paul cause he made me lean over to talk to him and this ultimately pushed my laptop off the crappy airline table ;) ;) ;) :).

So I guess it must be possible, I just can't find the options anywhere, and I don't have the directory she mentions either :/

(Taken from this page: http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/kimberly/2008/05/09/WhenDidYouLastBackupYourHomepersonallesscriticalSystemIsItReallyLesscritical.aspx )
Post #500268
Posted Wednesday, May 14, 2008 6:08 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, March 31, 2014 9:19 AM
In a bizarre twist of fate Management Studio decided to die around 30mins after this post, and then created the 'backup' folder in the location mentioned in the post above, and low and behold when it started it up again there was a prompt to recover files!

Why it didn't do this after Vista killed it for a Windows Update I don't know, but at least in a power failure or a crash it looks to work...
Post #500364
Posted Monday, July 21, 2008 4:10 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:49 PM
SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) do not provide any feature to turn off Auto Recovery/Auto Save option, but this will include in the future versions. Also, Microsoft will not encorporate this feature in upcoming Service Packs. Please go through

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=125840

Regards

Muhammad Sharjeel Ahsan
Post #537508
Posted Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:06 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:53 PM
OMG!!!! That so saved my bacon. That directory;
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\My Documents\SQL Server Management Studio\Backup Files\Solution1, contains a ~blah.sql file for the window that you were working at the time of the unfortunate event.

Still no replacement for saving your scripts but....

Post #707892
Posted Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:06 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, April 29, 2013 2:52 PM
The same thing happened to me and I followed your instructions and found the auto-saved files. Saved me a lot of rewriting. Thanks!
Post #741303
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 10:11 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:58 AM
I faced the same problem and I followed the steps above. I could recover my files !! Helped me a lot ! Thank you...
Post #935506
Posted Thursday, July 8, 2010 8:25 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, July 8, 2010 8:24 AM
thank you VERY much for posting the solution mentioned above. saved my a** at work today
Post #949331
Posted Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:11 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 5:14 AM
thank you very much for this post.

Best regards,
Henrik Staun Poulsen
www.stovi.com

Post #964047
Posted Friday, September 17, 2010 5:04 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:03 AM
Saved my day!!! Cannot thank enough as it's late in Friday afternoon...
Post #988626
Posted Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:18 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, April 18, 2014 8:43 AM
Thank you so much! My PC rebooted during lunch and I would have lost hours of work...
Post #996151
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse