Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456

The Optimists Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:49 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, March 06, 2014 1:05 PM
I don't have a problem with flexibility/changes per say. However, I do tend to have a problem with people/users who can't seem to make up their mind about what they want and are constantly changing their minds in mid-stream all the time. That is very frustrating, as well as it wastes alot of highly paid people's time and resources. Been there, done that.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1410164
Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:52 PM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 8:28 AM
You have a choice:
Good
Fast
Cheap
Pick any two.

Not always agree with the trade off here.

I've seen a few projects which are expensive because the specification was so bad or all encompassing that it dragged on for ages. All the extra time did was add cost with little extra quality.

Nice tight guidelines and very focused knowledgable project manager and you can get good fast and cheap. These are the companies that generally lead the field. (not surprisingly)
Post #1410261
Posted Friday, January 25, 2013 10:37 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:16 AM
I actually enjoy learning a byzantine development system that with its own special ways of doing things. I am excited to be learning/using SQL Server. Who cares what the rest of the tech world is doing. I love SQL Server, IIS, MS Server, VB, it is a great ecosystem and if I learn it well I will be able to translate the skills into so many other environments.
Post #1411840
Posted Friday, January 25, 2013 10:47 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:24 AM
bryce.hill (1/25/2013)
It is painfull to make changes because you use SQL Server. It is a shite product that should never be used by a real company and not real companies use it. give up and embrace real technologies. Open source is the only true way. you are all wasting your time.

Ha. I might say the same thing about some of the OSS products. OSS doesn't mean it's better or higher quality. It gives you more control and the chance to do be more flexible than you might with closed source, but it's not necessarily better.

I've seen plenty of people think they're doing better with OSS and end up spending lots of money and time fixing crap that wasn't built right. I see plenty of security issues in both sets of software.

SQL Server works well. Not perfect, but it's a solid product and it runs many, many solid sites for many real companies.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1411846
Posted Monday, January 28, 2013 4:39 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:00 PM
bryce.hill (1/25/2013)
It is painfull to make changes because you use SQL Server. It is a shite product that should never be used by a real company and not real companies use it. give up and embrace real technologies. Open source is the only true way. you are all wasting your time.

I'm curious. What do you use to manage multiple billions of "records" with? It's all open source, I assume, so you shouldn't mind sharing your methods.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1412696
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:18 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:40 PM
bryce.hill (1/25/2013)

Hey, kid: Get a job.

"Winter Is Coming" - April 6, 2014
Post #1413036
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:47 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, December 05, 2013 3:09 AM
No doubt trolling for a 'laugh', but funnily enough I've designed & supported SQL systems that have processed ~$500M in transactions and that underpin global corporate processes.

Likewise my company used to run SAP on SQL for America. Only strategic choices changed that as it was a perfectly fine platform.

Post #1413058
Posted Sunday, February 03, 2013 3:47 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, February 04, 2013 6:33 PM
While end users tell you all day what they want to be able to, do a system or tool cannot be successful without accomplishing whatever goal was set forth.Sometimes the challenge is deciphering what that goal is. #of users and groups and different business functions increase the complexity of that task drastically.

To reiterate another poster's story about web solutions, in my experience Marketing teams are great stakeholders because of their creative ideas, but driving through the fun details like color, etc in early solution meetings can be challenging.

Oh and the biggest gut shot is having something placed in 12-18 month backlog. With small data solutions my business clients have almost always proceeded to bootstrap an interim solution. Rock - hard place.
Post #1415004
Posted Sunday, February 03, 2013 10:04 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:40 PM
mhroche (2/3/2013)
While end users tell you all day what they want to be able to, do a system or tool cannot be successful without accomplishing whatever goal was set forth.Sometimes the challenge is deciphering what that goal is. #of users and groups and different business functions increase the complexity of that task drastically.

To reiterate another poster's story about web solutions, in my experience Marketing teams are great stakeholders because of their creative ideas, but driving through the fun details like color, etc in early solution meetings can be challenging.

Oh and the biggest gut shot is having something placed in 12-18 month backlog. With small data solutions my business clients have almost always proceeded to bootstrap an interim solution. Rock - hard place.

Indeed. Ask 10,000 people to describe in detail a "Perfect" anything (software application, healthcare plan, night out on the town, spouse ... anything), and you'll get 10,000 different answers. Any plan that involves a lot of people and includes the word "perfect" is doomed to failure. Always steer clear of that big rock.

"Winter Is Coming" - April 6, 2014
Post #1415025
Posted Sunday, February 03, 2013 10:51 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:00 PM
Jeff Moden (1/28/2013)
bryce.hill (1/25/2013)

I'm curious. What do you use to manage multiple billions of "records" with? It's all open source, I assume, so you shouldn't mind sharing your methods.

Heh... yeah... I should have figured such a comment as nothing more than a drive by shooting.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1415035
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456

Permissions Expand / Collapse