Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Ready Made Code Snippet Tool Box Courtesy of SCOM Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:44 AM
Thank you for your comments...
Now as I stated in the article I will be writing a follow-up to this one in the very near future showing one or two of the snippets, written in Vb.Net, getting put to some interesting use for a custom app.

Also as far as the comment about why I suggested a virtual server for the initial install my reasoning is this. Have you downloaded the 2008 SQL Server CTP to your work or personal machine - not a server of course - only to find that when it comes time to remove the trial or CTP software your needed installs (SQL Server 2005) fails to work? I simply use Microsoft’s virtual client and create a virtual space for tools like SCOM, CTP versions of software and the like then I never have to worry about uninstalling them or worse yet the annoying messages when the trial version is about to run out. And everything is contained in isolation without worry.
Post #473638
Posted Monday, March 24, 2008 1:37 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:08 AM
Thanks for the expansion. I myself have a zipped up Virtual PC with Windows 2003 / SQL Server 2005 base build which I generally unzip fresh and use for this sort of thing. I queried it as I was wondering if there was a specific problem you had encountered, or a bug.

Look forward to the follow-up articles! If I manage to recode anything I'll post back ;)
Post #473687
Posted Monday, March 24, 2008 2:57 PM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 12:34 PM
Great link.
I would have preferred more info in it as well, but, all in all, I'm glad I got notified on it.

One question: where can I find the discovery.xml files mentioned? I'm looking in the
System Center Management Packs folder. Is that the location?

__________________________________________________________________________________

Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2
Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 1
Real-Time Tracking of Tempdb Utilization Through Reporting Services
Monitoring Database Blocking Through SCOM 2007 Custom Rules and Alerts
Preparing for the Unthinkable - a Disaster/Recovery Implementation
Post #473734
Posted Monday, March 24, 2008 3:00 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:40 AM
I have search my whole server for the xml files and can not find them. After downloading the management packs I have several .mp files but no xml files. A little more info on where the xml files are located would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Post #473737
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:16 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 12:34 PM
I have the exact same issue - some more info on the file location would be appreciated

__________________________________________________________________________________

Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2
Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 1
Real-Time Tracking of Tempdb Utilization Through Reporting Services
Monitoring Database Blocking Through SCOM 2007 Custom Rules and Alerts
Preparing for the Unthinkable - a Disaster/Recovery Implementation
Post #474211
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2008 11:42 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:56 AM
you need to export that management pack into an xml format. this link should provide insight

Unseal MP to XML
Post #474274
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2008 12:37 PM
SSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:44 AM
Julius,
My fellow co-worker; thank you for that!
Post #474330
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:17 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:45 PM
Which folder has MP definition files such as "Microsoft.SQLServer.2005.Discovery.xml"? Thanks.
Post #474901
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:28 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:53 AM
See the post above by Julius. That shows how to unpack the XML files.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #474913
Posted Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:28 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:23 AM
Hi Scott,

Interesting article especially if you are a newbie to SCOM 2k7 and have limited exposure SQL 2005 R2. Have you a desire to share in greater detail some of possibilities in scripts you have created from SQL and SCOM 2k7? Its a pleasure to read your enthusiasm.
Post #475440
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse