Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

SQL Overview Part 1 Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:33 PM
If you have not, try setting the default value for the SVR_Conn variable to (local) or to your server name \ instance name . That worked for me.

I also set the default server name to use the instance name where I created the SQL_Overview database. I did this for all of the connections. My default instance is not running so the connections fail. However, since the MultiServer connection has an expression, that required setting the variable to a valid server.
Post #439775
Posted Monday, January 7, 2008 1:42 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

BTW, if you can not see the variables in the list, right click on the designer surface and click variables. I downloaded the zip and SVR_Conn did not show up by default on my system.
Post #439780
Posted Monday, January 7, 2008 1:56 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, April 27, 2009 6:05 AM
Tony Mungor (1/7/2008)
If you have not, try setting the default value for the SVR_Conn variable to (local) or to your server name \ instance name . That worked for me.

I also set the default server name to use the instance name where I created the SQL_Overview database. I did this for all of the connections. My default instance is not running so the connections fail. However, since the MultiServer connection has an expression, that required setting the variable to a valid server.

Much better - you solved my issue! Thanks so much for everyone's help!

I may have been entering an invalid server name for the MultiServer instead of a valid one, therefore the servername was blank.
Post #439789
Posted Monday, January 7, 2008 2:33 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

David, Thanks for the cool tool. I look forward to parts II and III.
Post #439800
Posted Monday, January 7, 2008 2:36 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

BTW, the only other thing I changed in the dowloaded package was setting the MaximumErrorCount to 99. I ended up adding a bunch of servers and instances that where not running so I needed to handle the exceptions and move on.
Post #439803
Posted Monday, January 7, 2008 2:37 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, April 27, 2009 6:05 AM
Thanks for sharing this with us. I had developed something pretty complicated to monitor my database instances. Not only have I now gotten more experience with SSIS, but I have a feeling your following articles will show me how to monitor them easier. Thanks!!!
Post #439804
Posted Monday, January 7, 2008 7:18 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, August 7, 2010 7:36 AM
Got everything working great. Just wondering if in your future articles that you will be adding current dbsize, logsize and maybe when the last backup was conducted. I see alot of potential for this and It can make my life easier, since we close to 10 different sql servers running different databases and applications.

thanks again looking forward to your future articles.

Post #439849
Posted Monday, January 7, 2008 8:36 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, February 18, 2013 4:40 PM
This is a great tool but i'm having a problem. It all works fine except that all the databases that the package finds throughout the network are listed against one server. Is this caused by the fact i'm building this on my workstation and not on the server?
Post #439852
Posted Monday, January 7, 2008 8:53 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, February 18, 2013 4:40 PM
I've dug a little deeper and it appears that the package is listing every single SQL database we have against every SQL server it has found but only listing one server, the one on which i am running this from, as the host of all SQL instances.

Help
Post #439853
Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2008 6:32 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:36 PM
pepelf,

Part 3 will include all that and more.

David Bird

My PC Quick Reference Guide
Post #440024
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse