Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Function to calculate Month End Date Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, September 23, 2007 6:24 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12:43 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Function to calculate Month End Date

Cheers,
Hari
Tips & Tricks for SQL BI Developers
Post #401774
Posted Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:43 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Saturday, October 25, 2014 2:40 AM
isn't this a little easier??

CREATE Function GetMonthEnd(@Date DateTime)
Returns DateTime
AS
RETURN dateadd(d,(day(@date)) * -1,@date)
END

Post #451680
Posted Tuesday, February 5, 2008 4:12 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:32 PM
rdijk (2/5/2008)
isn't this a little easier??

Returns DateTime
AS
RETURN dateadd(d,(day(@date)) * -1,@date)
END

Heh... only when you actually make it return the correct answer ;)

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #451942
Posted Tuesday, February 5, 2008 4:42 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:47 AM
Here is another way to do it:

Returns DateTime
AS
Begin
Return (dateadd(mm, datediff(mm, 0, @Date) + 1, 0) - 1)
End

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #451947
Posted Sunday, May 17, 2009 2:43 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, May 17, 2009 9:05 PM
This is the expression I have been looking for. I have a field called Plan End Date that I need to calculate the end of the month that the Plan End Date is in. How do I write this expression? thank you!
Post #718740
Posted Sunday, May 17, 2009 3:23 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Sunday, November 23, 2014 12:50 AM
vickymae222 (5/17/2009)
This is the expression I have been looking for. I have a field called Plan End Date that I need to calculate the end of the month that the Plan End Date is in. How do I write this expression? thank you!

Select
dateadd(mm,datediff(mm,-1,PlanEndDate),-1) as PlanEndOfMonthDate
from
MyTable

Post #718742
Posted Sunday, May 17, 2009 7:48 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, May 17, 2009 9:05 PM
Thank you for your quick response! What is the My table you are referring to? After I do this expression, then I need to take the PlanEndOfMonthDate and add 15 months for a final recon date. Final Recon Date: DateAdd("m",15,[MonthEnd]). However, it doesn't always give me the correct date. For example. PlanEndOfMonthDate is 2/29/08, the final recon date is coming out as 5/29/09 but I need it to be the end of May, 5/31/09. Any suggestions how to correct my calculation? thanks Michael!

I tried the following PlanEndOfMonthDate: DateAdd([mm],DateDiff([mm],-1,[PlanEndDate]),-1) and a box comes up for me to enter the month parameter value for mm. How do I get the code to look at the month in the PlanEndDate so parmameter value box is not listed?
Post #718759
Posted Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:59 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:47 AM
vickymae222 (5/17/2009)
Thank you for your quick response! What is the My table you are referring to? After I do this expression, then I need to take the PlanEndOfMonthDate and add 15 months for a final recon date. Final Recon Date: DateAdd("m",15,[MonthEnd]). However, it doesn't always give me the correct date. For example. PlanEndOfMonthDate is 2/29/08, the final recon date is coming out as 5/29/09 but I need it to be the end of May, 5/31/09. Any suggestions how to correct my calculation? thanks Michael!

I tried the following PlanEndOfMonthDate: DateAdd([mm],DateDiff([mm],-1,[PlanEndDate]),-1) and a box comes up for me to enter the month parameter value for mm. How do I get the code to look at the month in the PlanEndDate so parmameter value box is not listed?

MyTable is what ever the table you are pulling the data from. You didn't provide any detailed information so a "generalized" table name was provided for you to base your own query on.

If you would like better answers to your questions I suggest you take the time to read the first article I reference below in my signature block.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #718773
Posted Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:21 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:36 AM
Select DATEADD(DD,-1,DATEADD(MM,DATEDIFF(MM,0,GETDATE())+1,0))

Check here for more detail.
Post #1595502
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse