Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

The Dynamic Process of Loading Data Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:10 PM

Thanks for the article Janet. I particularly like the "multi-threaded" approach with the temporary jobs. Even though I don't do any DTS work at the moment, I like the approach you have taken in finding a long term solution. Obviously giving it a bit of thought before jumping in and doing the work.

I didn't think that you were having a dig at anyone. It seemed more of a reminder to us all that we should recognise our own fallability. You even point out a flaw in your original design, which you then corrected. You could simply have left that flaw out and only given us the final solution, but I think you gave the article greater value by allowing us to see the path you took to get to your destination.

Again, well done.

Regards,

Steve

Life without beer is no life at all

All beer is good, some beers are just better than others

Post #339142
Posted Wednesday, January 24, 2007 6:55 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, January 14, 2013 4:24 AM

Hi Norm Johnson, if you send your email address to irainardi@yahoo.co.uk I'll send you some samples of DTS packages that I used to extract from source systems to stage in some data warehousing projects.

Regards,
Vincent

Post #339305
Posted Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:48 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, February 14, 2014 10:01 AM
"for example they may forget to change the connection property"

Ugh, this used to be such a pain in the keister but then someone turned our group on to using UDL's for our connection objects. Specify that they should always read their properties from the server and set a standard that they will be located in the same place and voila, all is done.

We've also done some stuff with dynamically setting file paths based on environmental variables which has also been a boon for changing between dev & production.
Post #339449
Posted Thursday, January 25, 2007 10:33 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:19 AM

I agree with some of the others... the tone of the article is a bit distracting and takes away from the good technical content. 

It would also be nice if you posted some of the code you used.  Active X script to change the file name, a proc, etc.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #339977
Posted Friday, January 26, 2007 3:21 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, January 26, 2007 3:08 AM

I also agree about some of the points made on distracting remarks, having gone through previous articles Janet has written. Technical content is excellent, though, Janet.

Don't think Jamima's comments on a male thing was very helpful, or statistically sound (being as there are 400,000 members and only a few comments). 

Don't be disheartened Janet, N Johnson put it very well about Ian's comments and what I guess he was trying to say.

Thanks

Liz

Post #340003
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse