Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Mind Your Manners Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, October 12, 2006 6:59 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:34 AM
Comments posted here are about the content posted at temp

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**
Post #315145
Posted Tuesday, October 17, 2006 9:13 PM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 4:59 PM

I recognise quite a few of those example posts you provided

Hope this helps
Phill Carter
--------------------
Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Australian SQL Server User Groups - My profile
Phills Philosophies
Murrumbeena Cricket Club
Post #316111
Posted Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:49 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:34 PM
Wonderful! Manners just don't seem to be important to many people anymore. I am glad that I am not the only one who thinks manners and kindness are important regardless of the communication medium. Thank you.

Cheers,

Nicole

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.
Post #316116
Posted Tuesday, October 17, 2006 11:01 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:16 PM

Absolutely outstanding article, Sushila... Your fine article should be the one that is required reading, not only for the "newbies", but for many of us old hacks as a reminder that we, too, were once newbies with seemingly stupid questions.  You even touched on those with the "do my homework for me" syndrome.  Well done, old friend.

You were particularly thoughtful in the "Mind your Ps and Qs" section.    A simple "thank you" or other acknowledgment, be it from a poser or a peer, goes very far with all of the respondents.  How often it seems that a poser forgets that we don't get paid or even recognized for this... that these forums are our counted cross-stitch and wood shop... it can be difficult but we somehow get enjoyment from it.  So, thanks, Sushila... you're the best.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #316118
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 12:53 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 10:02 AM

I very much enjoyed reading this article - it flows well and the comments are very relevant to the community you are writing to.

I would just like to add one thing, for those who are new to SQL Server, when a poster asks for data and scripts, just be careful to send only samples or sufficiently edited originals to hide any sensitive information! Your employer would be very grateful that you had.

Post #316124
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 3:45 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:49 AM
I don't think I've ever actually had to post a question, but I've used the site and forums enough to get the answers I was looking for (usually at least a couple of times a month). So a big "Thank You" to all the people who have taken the time to answer questions that have helped an invisible minority/majority months and even years later after the original question was asked.

Post #316150
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 5:57 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:34 AM

Phill - I knew you'd recognize the comments if you actually had the time to stop by and read the article..- I did have a great time compiling the quotes for I had to reread a whole bunch of old posts for my "material" and the one that you recognized was easily one of the funniest!

Jeff - thank you for those kind words - I'm sure you recognize yourself in the member who goes to inordinate lengths to help out - so the ssc community owes YOU a big collective "thank you"!

Nicole, Paul - thank you for the +ve feedback!

allotc - Like you I too have seldom posted a question but have benefited hugely just from reading and learning from many of the responses and solutions...

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**
Post #316177
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 6:01 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 8:43 AM
Thanks for the excellent article, Sushila. I've thought for some time that a kind reminder of manners was needed for the site, and you managed to hit points for both question posters and answerers. Thanks much!

Post #316179
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 6:19 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 10:44 AM

Same here.  It made me relie so many memories.  Thanx for the great article.

Post #316184
Posted Wednesday, October 18, 2006 7:02 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 10:44 AM

Let's try to fix the forum and repost my message :

Same here.  It made me relie so many memories.  Thanx for the great article.

Post #316206
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse