Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Deploying Scripts To Multiple Instances Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 7, 2008 9:05 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 11:33 AM
Hello Joe and everyone else,

I would like to thanks you for the article. Read this when it first came out and have since modified it for my need. Here are the modifications I made.

- Create table with contains Servers Name, Type (Prod or Development), Version number (2000 /2005) and Owner of the system (Finance, account, etc). This will all me to specify which systems I want to do remote execution on. So if I only want to run code against the development SQL 2000 servers only I can. Also, as new server come to our network I would just add it's info into this table and it done.

- Enhanced the error handling for server(s) that already have a link connection

- Made my server trusted by all the other servers so that passwords and ids are not needed for connection. My main server is completely locked down on all levels, don't need someone to connect and then have full access to the other servers.

- Made a generic version of the code so that I execute anything I need on the remote server. This works for my SSRS report page. I use this code to produce several reports which include:
1) Job failures report on all servers, production only and / or development onhly
2) SQL Error log analysis report

I can send you my updated code if you like.

Thanks,

Rudy

Post #452801
Posted Friday, October 10, 2008 2:04 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 12:32 PM
this was a great starting point for me to create my solution. I used the script as a model and added some needed customizations.
Post #584229
Posted Monday, December 15, 2008 12:52 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:37 PM
Joe - Good basic script for dynamic Linked Servers...an auxilary post I have put up is remote RECONFIGURE capability as:

[linked-server].master.dbo.RECONFIGURE does not work.

Any ideas appreciated!

thnx Jay
Post #619908
Posted Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:40 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, March 6, 2009 12:40 PM
Hi. This is really a great post and is something I would like to implement.
Rudy, is thewre anyway you can send me your updated code that you mentioned..it sounds like enhancements I could use..thanks
Post #663492
Posted Tuesday, February 24, 2009 8:35 AM
Old Hand

Hello Joe,

Have a look at an article I created here called "Managing many SQL Servers?" and see if this works for you. Code is also provided.

Thanks,

Rudy

Post #663573
Posted Tuesday, February 24, 2009 8:48 AM
Forum Newbie

Hi again Rudy..I'am new on using this forum...is there an easy way to get to your article?....I've serached and cannot seem to locate it...thanks for your assistance!
Post #663589
Posted Tuesday, February 24, 2009 8:52 AM
Old Hand

Ok, just copy "Managing many SQL Servers?" (without the quotes) and paste it into the Search window (above and to the right) and clcik Go and then on the results screen click on articles.

Rudy

Post #663595
Posted Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:17 AM
Forum Newbie

Boy that was a "Dah" on my part....somehow I did that the first time and it came up empty...obviously a "user error'!. I found it fine now..thanks alot for your assistance!
Post #663626
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse