Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Management Studio with SQL Server 2000 Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, July 20, 2014 9:06 PM
Nice short article.

Unfortunately Management Studio runs like a dog on my PC so I still use QA quite a lot.

Also, in a Master/Target server scenario, the master server has to be SQL 2000. You can't enlist a SQL 2000 server with a SQL 2005 master, but vice versa works.

I'd also be interested in how many 'developers' use Management Studio now that Visual Studio 2005 Team System for Database Developers is out in the wild.

Hope this helps
Phill Carter
--------------------
Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Australian SQL Server User Groups - My profile
Phills Philosophies
Murrumbeena Cricket Club
Post #290042
Posted Monday, June 26, 2006 7:34 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 7:24 AM

You can set the options to comment in the options pane - set it back to the old shiftctrl C if you want.

Oh - and btw - to UNComment (or Restore) text, try shiftctrl+R...

Now, how do we adjust the size of the results pane (ctrlB...?) 

Post #290050
Posted Monday, June 26, 2006 11:20 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:35 PM
Also you can't hide/show query results. There is a button for that in QA.

Post #290146
Posted Monday, June 26, 2006 4:37 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, April 11, 2014 9:36 AM

I say, unless you are using SQL 2005, don't switch.  The new tools got a TON of bugs.  What happened to the "script database objects" feature?  I gotta do it all separately per object now?  Why does SSMS not save my password change when I change the password for the login on SQL Agent Properties / Connections?  Why does SSMS use so much damn memory on my machine, and leak memory too? 

My advice:  Stay with EM until Microsoft fixes SSMS a bit more.  SSMS is a powerful tool, just not a quality powerful tool.... at least yet.

A.J.
DBA with an attitude
Post #290222
Posted Monday, June 26, 2006 5:10 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Thursday, July 3, 2014 9:19 PM

There's a button in MgmtStudio as well, but you need to customise your toolbar and add it.  It's something of a large button, and it says quite clearly "Hide Results Pane". 

As to bugs, our DBA has put the kybosh on using it with SQL2K databases/servers, due to it's not being designed for/tested with SQL2K.  I can see some merit in this thought.

For me though, Management Studio was just one of the Three Amigos, along with EM and QA.  I used the tool best suited.

S.

Post #290227
Posted Tuesday, June 27, 2006 8:09 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:59 AM

One thing I do not like is that you cannot create a new SQL2K DTS package using Management Studio. 

Other than that I am slowly getting used to the new tool.

Post #290640
Posted Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:24 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, December 27, 2010 10:56 AM
How does one manipulate user permissions for SQL2000 in SSMS? In EM, I could right-click on an object and edit what the groups could do, or right-click on a group and edit what they could do with which objects. I know that SQL2005 uses Schemas for this sort of thing now, but how does one use it with SQL2000?
Post #290645
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 2:55 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:01 PM
Permissions for SQL2K can still be edited in SSMS, just have to go one level deeper.  Right-click on the object, select Properties, then select Permissions.  It is more of a Windows network type of process (search) for working with permissions, but very similar.

Post #290931
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 5:54 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 1:41 AM
SQL2005 objects are still owned by people, it's just that the ownership is hidden slightly by the fact that objects are also in schemas. In fact, I have another article in the works that talks about ownership chaining issues and 'execute as' to address this.

And as for hiding the results-pane - Ctrl-R still works.

For editing DTS packages, get the feature-pack with the SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components.

Rob

Rob Farley
LobsterPot Solutions & Adelaide SQL Server User Group
Company: http://www.lobsterpot.com.au
Blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/rob_farley
Post #290962
Posted Thursday, June 29, 2006 2:44 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 9:15 AM
CTRL R toggels the results pane off and on just like in QA.

By the way performance is almost acceptable if you stick 2Gb in your development machine.

My dev machine is a 3GHz P4 with 2GB DD2 533MHz RAM and performance still doesn't light any fires!!!!

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #291030
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse