Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

SQL Server Security Part 2 Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:20 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/ckempster/securitypart2.asp

Chris Kempster
www.chriskempster.com
Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"
Post #2382
Posted Sunday, January 27, 2002 7:25 PM

Keeper of the Duck

Keeper of the Duck

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:57 AM
This is the one that gets me upset most of the time:

quote:
The only problem here can be third party software that utilises SQL Server as its security or other repository in order to run. I have come across a few products that prompt to for the SA password, then end up creating a database with no other user but SA, only to spend hours reading documentation and testing to change it.

Certain products balk at when they run in anything less than dbo and when making the ODBC connections, you have the same username and password. This leaves a database wide open and just causes headaches. Grrr.

K. Brian Kelley
bkelley@sqlservercentral.com
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley, CISA, MCSE, Security+, MVP - SQL Server
Regular Columnist (Security), SQLServerCentral.com
Author of Introduction to SQL Server: Basic Skills for Any SQL Server User
| Professional Development blog | Technical Blog | LinkedIn | Twitter
Post #27011
Posted Friday, June 21, 2002 2:04 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, August 15, 2014 7:39 AM
In the Statement Privilege Revocation section of the document you display a image of User/Roles against DDL statements.

I have never come across this screen, could you tell me how to get to it etc.

Regards
Steven White

Steven
Post #27012
Posted Friday, June 21, 2002 5:27 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Hi Steven

Select properties of your DB and go to the last tab called "permissions".

Cheers

Ck

Chris Kempster
www.chriskempster.com
Post #27013
Posted Friday, June 21, 2002 5:28 AM
SSC Eights!

Hi Steven

Select properties of your DB and go to the last tab called "permissions".

Cheers

Ck

Chris Kempster
www.chriskempster.com
Post #27014
Posted Friday, June 21, 2002 5:29 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, August 15, 2014 7:39 AM
thanks,

learn something new everyday

Steven
Post #27015
Posted Friday, January 30, 2004 7:02 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:25 AM

Where is a link to Part I.

Thanks,

ThomasLL

Thomas LeBlanc, MCITP DBA 2005, 2008 & MCDBA 2000
http://thesmilingdba.blogspot.com/
Post #98108
Posted Sunday, February 1, 2004 10:02 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:20 PM

Outstanding article!  Very thorough with great references for further information. 

I agree with Brian's post -- that's the most infuriating thing to have applications that demand dbo, or worse, sysadmin access.  There is no reason any application (with the exception of admin utilities) should require this level of access.  I'm often asked to evaluate software for clients, and this one is a deal-breaker from my point of view. 

The Windows world really has to get use to the idea of having to explicitly set permissions to resources required.  Windows Server 2003 has done a much better job at forcing you to explicitly set NTFS and Share permissions, and Yukon is moving in the same direction.  The problem is that we, as administrators and developers, need to get in the habit of doing this regardless of what the platform forces you to do.  This isn't a technology problem, it's a process problem.

OK, my 2 cents, I'll shut up now.  Again, great article!

Post #98260
Posted Tuesday, February 3, 2004 11:17 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:16 AM

I used to have that same opinion actually but then I had a conversation with someone who has been in software development for several years. My feelings haven't changed, mind you, but I'm not nearly as stubborn about apps that do this.

Consider: Not all companies running a given software package have a DBA full or part-time. If they don't, then the application administrator must be able to create new SQL logins through the application itself. To do this requires sysadmin rights.

Check out http://databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/1473011 for a good discussion on why GreatPlains decided to use the sa account in its application. Yes, it can be turned off. However, it increases workload for the DBA who now has to create SQL accounts by hand.

-- J.T.

"I may not always know what I'm talking about, and you may not either."

Post #98557
Posted Friday, November 4, 2005 6:33 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, May 25, 2009 9:12 AM

One way we share DTS Packages where I work is to save the package as a .DTF in an NT shared Folder.  That way, authorized users can access the package and make revisions or run it individually as necessary...

No need to be a sysadmin because you are opening the DTS Package from the DTF and it appears that you are the author.  Just a thought....

Post #235100
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse