Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Need Split delimiter string into columns Solution Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 9, 2010 7:04 PM

Hi All,

I need help with a string with delimiter that needs to be split into column names. I have been looking for this solution for a while. Specifically what I want to do is noted below...

Currently:

I have a table with a string with delimiter column, and I need to split this string into columns as shown below: Note that the cat and subcat can vary in length...

'/cat/subcat1/subcat2/subcat3/subcat4/subcat5'

What I need is a t-sql that pivots this list into new columns as shown below:

cat     subcat1   subcat2   subcat3   subcat4   subcat5
------  --------  --------  --------  --------  --------
School  Math      Science   History    Arts         PE

Also I need a way to insert these new columns into the existing table that has the original string with delimiter...

Thanks!!

Post #229031
Posted Friday, October 14, 2005 8:50 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 7:44 AM
I just did something similar the other day with Progress arrays, which are returned to SQL Server as a single semicolon-delimited column, and I needed to split out one such array into several columns.

This is the function I wrote... you would need to replace the semicolon ( with your own delimiter (a slash?).

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.FromProgressArray (@array VARCHAR(4000), @index INT)
RETURNS VARCHAR(4000)
AS
BEGIN

IF @index = 0
RETURN( LEFT(@array, CHARINDEX(';', @array) - 1) )

DECLARE @counter INT
SELECT @counter = 0

WHILE @counter < @index
BEGIN
IF (CHARINDEX(';', @array) <> 0)
SELECT @array = SUBSTRING(@array, CHARINDEX(';', @array) + 1, LEN(@array))
ELSE
SELECT @array = ''
SELECT @counter = @counter + 1
END

IF CHARINDEX(';', @array) != 0
SELECT @array = LEFT(@array, CHARINDEX(';', @array) - 1)

RETURN( @array )

END
GO

Then you can do this:

INSERT INTO table (cat, subcat1, subcat2, subcat3, subcat4, subcat5)
SELECT dbo.FromProgressArray(sourcecol, 0), dbo.FromProgressArray(sourcecol, 1), dbo.FromProgressArray(sourcecol, 2), dbo.FromProgressArray(sourcecol, 3), dbo.FromProgressArray(sourcecol, 4), dbo.FromProgressArray(sourcecol, 5)
FROM source_table

HTH.
Post #229038
Posted Friday, October 14, 2005 9:22 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, August 9, 2010 7:04 PM

Hi Paul,

This works Great!!!! Thanks so much, I have been splitting my hair for this solution...again Thank you!!!

Best Regards,

SM

Post #229047
Posted Tuesday, October 18, 2005 5:34 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, August 10, 2009 8:01 AM

Hi Paul / SM,

Thanks for this as well, just what I needed.

Regds,

EP

Ed Phillips
Post #229670
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:11 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:07 AM
Thank you very much for this. I wouldn't normally use a while loop in a function, but looking at the replace/substring code I've written in the past to get, say, the 5th element in a delimited string I'm more than happy to use it here!

My only amendment was to add the delimiter as a parameter, to make it more extensible.
Post #1392292
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:03 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:41 PM
nick.wright 69367 (12/4/2012)
Thank you very much for this. I wouldn't normally use a while loop in a function, but looking at the replace/substring code I've written in the past to get, say, the 5th element in a delimited string I'm more than happy to use it here!

My only amendment was to add the delimiter as a parameter, to make it more extensible.

Nick,

Unfortunately you found a very old thread with a VERY out of date methodology for splitting delimited strings. Please take a look at the link in my signature for MUCH improved way to split strings in sql.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1392515
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:23 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:07 AM
That's great, Sean. Unfortunately, being an "agile" kind of developer, the ink on my code is still wet as it goes into a live environment . The new improved code will have to wait until the next iteration. Fortunately, its in a batch job that runs overnight and performance isn't (yet) an issue. However, I'll read your article and try to learn from it!

Thanks, Again

Nick Wright
Post #1392532
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:33 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:41 PM
nick.wright 69367 (12/4/2012)
That's great, Sean. Unfortunately, being an "agile" kind of developer, the ink on my code is still wet as it goes into a live environment . The new improved code will have to wait until the next iteration. Fortunately, its in a batch job that runs overnight and performance isn't (yet) an issue. However, I'll read your article and try to learn from it!

Thanks, Again

Nick Wright

I hear ya there. Can't always change at the last minute. It isn't my article but one written by Jeff Moden. That article has the ability to completely change the way you think about data. It will present you initially with the concept of a tally table which is probably the most useful technique in a sql developers tool box. Once you fully understand the tally table, the string splitter portion makes total sense.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1392545
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:10 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:18 AM
Thanks for this function, Paul! :)
Post #1433768
Posted Friday, April 26, 2013 6:45 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 5:16 AM
Thanks a lot for writing this wonderful SQL Code. it gave me relax that i could not get 2 days.
i used this code in BULK Insert from .txt file data.with delim (|) .
thanks again

Gaurav Upadhyay
India
Post #1446934
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse