Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Database Design and Reference Tables Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, September 27, 2005 4:50 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 2:51 AM

Pretty sure he's talking about the article making its way onto such a well run, professional site.

Forgive me if im mistaken...

Post #223836
Posted Tuesday, September 27, 2005 4:52 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:33 AM

nonononono!

the original article is a disgrace. 

it is my opinion that your approach is, perhaps, the only valid way to respond to such a bad design suggestion.  your "one table design" will hopefully highlight the terrible nature of Ranga's article.

i totally agree that lookup tables (and tables in general) should have One Type Of Thing in them.

s

Post #223838
Posted Tuesday, September 27, 2005 5:22 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, August 3, 2007 2:55 AM
If anyone were to come into my company and see how these generic lookup tables have completely eradicated referential integrity and made data warehousing a total nightmare, they would stay well clear.

From my experience, generic lookup tables are produced by pressure from lazy developers who bully the dba guys into creating them.

Remeber, it's not always about data going in, you have to think how it's going to come out the otehr end.

------------------------------
The Users are always right - when I'm not wrong!
Post #223847
Posted Tuesday, September 27, 2005 5:40 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Saturday, June 28, 2014 8:14 AM

*phew*

Glad to see I'm not the only one who reacted in horror to this article! Sadly, it seems that this has been seen by the editors - I just got this link as a FEATURED ARTICLE  in my SQLServerCentral.com Daily Update newsletter.

Seriously though - this has been on the site for more than a month - someone needs to take this article down, before less savvy developers/users read it and follow it as gospel!

Post #223849
Posted Tuesday, September 27, 2005 6:21 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 12:15 PM

Guys,

I think this Might work for a very small application with a small number of lookup tables but any more than that it's just a bad idea... Doing so would 'paint yourself into a corner'

I had to support an app that was designed like this and there were constant changes to the table structure, and performance was a nightmare.  Eventually some of the more critical data was moved out into individual tables.

Just say no! to bad design...

Mark

Post #223858
Posted Tuesday, September 27, 2005 6:38 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, January 25, 2013 3:51 PM
I just flagged this article as a Dud before I read everyones comments in the forum. I agree this one should have never been published.

Post #223860
Posted Tuesday, September 27, 2005 6:49 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, November 10, 2014 7:17 AM

If you're worried about building an application to maintain a bunch of tables you shouldn't be. Just use a code generator to build the application. You don't have to go all "object oriented" for basic data maintenance. You can build a good set of stored procedures and generic application components to achieve the generic nature of the data while still maintaining good database design.

It's not difficult to build the maintenance UI but it is boring, tedious, and repetitive. Those are the things that should scream code generation in your head. The generic table solution may sound neat at first but it would be a nightmare for someone new coming in to maintain the application.

Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD
Business Intelligence Administrator
MSBI Administration Blog
Post #223864
Posted Tuesday, September 27, 2005 6:49 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, March 30, 2007 11:30 AM
Bit of a worry that the author has 8 years' experience in database design!  I had this exact argument with a new (front-end) developer on my current project who maintained it had been done the "generic" way at every previous place he'd worked.  Oh dear.

Post #223865
Posted Tuesday, September 27, 2005 6:56 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, September 8, 2012 2:48 PM

I flagged the article as a dud and I can't believe it was posted on this site.  Definitely not a recommended practice.  We had a programmer here who did that (along with several other horrors of programming and database design) and there is no way I would ever do that.

Post #223868
Posted Tuesday, September 27, 2005 7:09 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 2:40 PM

Yes, agreed.  This generic lookup table is not the best idea.  Nonetheless, I really don't believe that calling the quality of this site into question, or questioning the editing prowess of Steve Jones, for that matter, is in order.  Hasn't this always been a site to communicate ideas - both good and bad?

My point is, I'm not sure the article, or should I say the IDEA, should be censored by the site.  You have the power to discuss the idea and RATE it!  The current 2 star rating will probably be an indicator to junior developers/dba's that this not a commonly accepted practice.

RH.

Post #223875
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse