Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

All the People Smarter than Me - Editorial Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 11, 2014 1:13 PM
Not to sound too much like a "me too" but, I also applaud Sarah's article and all of the people who take the time to answer the questions, and help guide all of us to be the best DBA's (accidental or otherwise) that we can be.

Having communities like SSC and PASS make such a huge difference.

I would also like to point out that what makes the Masters just that is their willingness to not only pass on the lessons learned from their own experience, but their desire to continue to learn more and then pass that knowledge on.

Thank you all for your enthusiasm and support!

John

Post #1588148
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 12:38 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 8:02 AM
Nice first article Sarah (at least here on SSC). If you have others, please let us know where to find them.

Like Grant and Brent, I agree that there has been more time to fiddle with and/or break things. Let's call it experience for good measure (mostly because Grant is older than me and I don't think I am old yet).

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1588167
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 2:38 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:16 AM
SQLRNNR (7/1/2014)
Nice first article Sarah (at least here on SSC). If you have others, please let us know where to find them.

This was my first article. Hopefully not my last. I really appreciate all the positive feedback.
Post #1588194
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 3:56 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:31 AM
Sarah Wagner (7/1/2014)
SQLRNNR (7/1/2014)

This was my first article. Hopefully not my last. I really appreciate all the positive feedback.

Keep going. I am trying to.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1588211
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 4:49 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 3:26 AM
Sarah Wagner (7/1/2014)
SQLRNNR (7/1/2014)

It was absolutely well put together.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of:
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1588229
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 10:08 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:34 AM
Very good article, Sarah. And it was encouraging to me as well. Thank you for sharing it!

Rod
Post #1588275
Posted Wednesday, July 2, 2014 5:01 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:54 AM
Sarah - you must introduce yourself to these people (and all of us at SQL events) of whom you speak. I know every one of them personally, great friends, ordinary people, I know stuff they don't know (I think ), they know stuff I don't know. Even though I only seem them a couple times a year, it's all about #SQLFamily. A great group that has a great time when we all get together. Alan White put it best at a recent SQL Saturday when he said everyone has something to contribute. Don't be shy.

Great post, by the way. I, too, dabbled in Java until the SQL databases needed attention. I was hooked at that point as well.

Gill Rowley
Post #1588661
Posted Tuesday, August 5, 2014 7:23 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:53 AM
Sarah Wagner (7/1/2014)

Have some more.

One thing I've noticed in 99.999% of the SQL people I meet @ Bits/Saturdays/Relays/SQLFAQ/etc is how approachable they are and how humble they are, you can ask them any question and they ALWAYS come up with an answer. They are genuinely nice people. (Sorry if that sounds condescending or schmaltzy).

qh

SQL 2K acts like a spoilt child - you need to coax it round with lollipops.
Post #1599695
Posted Tuesday, August 5, 2014 4:52 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:42 PM
quackhandle1975 (8/5/2014)
One thing I've noticed in 99.999% of the SQL people I meet @ Bits/Saturdays/Relays/SQLFAQ/etc is how approachable they are and how humble they are, you can ask them any question and they ALWAYS come up with an answer. They are genuinely nice people. (Sorry if that sounds condescending or schmaltzy). qh

I think that comes from all of us who work with SQL know we don't and can't know it all. I know the core of SQL and can setup just about any version without thinking abut it. I can also do programming in T-SQL and debug it as well. But I also know that I haven't used every keyword of T-SQL. My new job has some pre-done scripts we use. The one script uses UNPIVOT. I had never seen it before now.

I've barely touched SSIS and don't know SSRS at all. So as soon as you feel high & mighty and all knowing. Go to one of those gatherings and you will not retain that feeling long.

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1599986
Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2014 12:48 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 7:22 AM
Great story and very inspirational.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1600063
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse