Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

All the People Smarter than Me - Editorial Expand / Collapse
Author
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 10, 2014 7:48 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item All the People Smarter than Me - Editorial
Post #1587844
Posted Monday, June 30, 2014 10:33 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 10:47 AM
What a great history and commentary, Sarah! It's great to hear of someone so passionate about "the job", the self investment, and the people you've "met" along the way. Well done!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1587848
Posted Monday, June 30, 2014 10:57 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 5:16 PM
I have to agree with Sarah regarding SSC. Some amazing people (Jeff Moden for one) helped kick my learning of SQL Server in to high gear when I became active on the site in 2005 having joined earlier and been nothing but a lurker.

SQL Saturdays have been great as well. Still haven't gotten to a PASS Conference yet and looks like I won't until 2015 now. But hey, can't complain about the money I am earning out here in the desert.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1587855
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 12:46 AM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 7:42 AM
Very well put by Sarah. I've been very fortunate to have met many of my SQL heroes, either at local events, Tech-ed, PASS, or SQLBits. My first conference quite literally changed my life! I have learnt so much from so many gifted DBAs over the years. The fact that so many are so willing to share such gems of knowledge enthuses me and made me realise early on that I had made the right choice of career. I, in turn, can't help evangelising...

3 cheers to all the speakers, bloggers, and posters out there!
Post #1587877
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:59 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 2:48 PM
I wholeheartedly agree.

As well as all the "heroes", I also congratulate and thank the rest of us cannon fodder that ask those questions that may otherwise have remained unasked or make suggestions that other, more experienced, people constructively pull apart for all our benefit as well as sharing their experiences and knowledge on other items and areas that are no less valid.

Take what you need.
Give what you can.

[Edit: Spelling mistake corrected which was missed by the Spell Check :-S]

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1587891
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 4:47 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 3:26 PM
Nice write up.

And you didn't say hello? Please do next time.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1587930
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 6:22 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 1:16 AM
The act of both asking and answering questions is I think a really great way of stretching ourselves and reinforcing our knowledge.

The wisdom of the masses generally means that someone has come across your particular question before.

I have yet to truly come up with an issue that someone has not already discovered and actually solved.
Post #1587978
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 6:26 AM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:17 AM
Sarah, you are wildly and completely wrong.

We are not smarter. We just have more spare time on our hands, hahaha. Trust me, if you read the sp_Blitz source code, "smarter" will be the last term you'll use to apply to me, heh. It's all brute-force code.

Next time you see us - any of us - say hi!

Post #1587980
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 6:36 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 2:48 PM
Brent Ozar (7/1/2014)
...We are not smarter....

Depends on what you are referring to. Focus on SQL Server knowledge and dedication to imparting it? Then definitely smarter than most of us. Any other definition? Who knows!?!?!

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1587984
Posted Tuesday, July 1, 2014 6:58 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:42 AM
Sarah, you almost lost me at "Java developer" , but then you pulled me back in.

Very nice article, well written, and sprinkled with a little reverence to some of the icons in the industry.

What moved me though was your initiative. We need more people like you - in any industry.

Regards,
Steve
Post #1587997
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse