Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SQLServer won't recognize copied database Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:38 PM
I copied my mdf and ldf file to the cloud server, and the data path is correct. But the database does not show up in management studio. I have done this before between in house servers running SQL2008. Could it be ownership, permissions, or that the server has another name, or something else.? It is a big file (130GB) that takes 4 days to upload via RDP so I dont want to create a database on the cloud and then import it.
Post #1584100
Posted Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:03 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:08 PM
Why don't you create the DB on the cloud and restore it from a backup (which might be compressed if you're on 2008R2+). It seems safer than using mdf and ldf files.

Luis C.
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1584107
Posted Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:09 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:03 PM
fkarmally (6/19/2014)
I copied my mdf and ldf file to the cloud server, and the data path is correct. But the database does not show up in management studio. I have done this before between in house servers running SQL2008. Could it be ownership, permissions, or that the server has another name, or something else.? It is a big file (130GB) that takes 4 days to upload via RDP so I dont want to create a database on the cloud and then import it.

You can't just copy the files and expect SQL to notice. You will need to attach the files to a (new) database. In SSMS, right click on "Databases" and select attach.

Post #1584143
Posted Friday, June 20, 2014 2:58 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 9:47 AM
happycat59 (6/19/2014)
fkarmally (6/19/2014)

You can't just copy the files and expect SQL to notice. You will need to attach the files to a (new) database. In SSMS, right click on "Databases" and select attach.

Exactly!

The other way is to copy over a backup and restore that.
Post #1584242
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse