Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Log shipping error Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:14 AM
Hi All,

I have scheduled job for log shipping every 24 hours at midnight. First day it was running successfully but from 2nd day file is not restoring in the Secondary database.
can we schedule job every 24 hours or I need to schedule job every 15 minutes or 30 minutes.
Please clarify my doubt because my requirement that job should run everyday 12 Am at midnight.
Or is there any best solution which has alternate option of Log shipping.

Thanks,
Arooj
Post #1580370
Posted Friday, June 13, 2014 2:20 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Today @ 9:47 AM
Can you tell us what the exact error message you're getting is?

When you say you're running it every 24 hours do you mean the backup job, the copy job and the restore job, or are you backing up much more frequently but only copying and restoring every 24 hours (which sounds risky to me)?
Post #1580386
Posted Friday, June 13, 2014 2:20 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

[dup]
Post #1580387
Posted Friday, June 13, 2014 3:00 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. i am getting error like " Could not find a log backup file that could be applied to secondary database'"

I have scheduled job for taking backup, copy, restore backup file at the same time.
Post #1580402
Posted Friday, June 13, 2014 3:22 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 2:56 AM
It looks like before Log shipping restore the backup file it is deleting. Hence this is having issue. You can increase the backup retention time to 48 or 36 and problem will be solved.

---------------------------------------------------
"Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
Post #1580412
Posted Friday, June 13, 2014 3:33 AM
SSC-Addicted

Ok, that's helpful but we need to go through it step by step as there are so many variables.

Are you taking transaction log backups outside the log-shipping environment? If so, which folder are the log backups going to? The copy job on your secondary will only look in the log shipping folder specified in your log shipping configuration. (I've marked this path with an arrow in the screenshot I've attached.) If you take log backups that aren't stored in that folder, it will break log shipping because the copy and restore jobs won't have an unbroken chain of transaction log backups to work with.

Does that make sense? Can you check if that is happening first of all?

Post Attachments 
logshipping_screenshot.png (12 views, 56.37 KB)
Post #1580415
Posted Friday, June 13, 2014 6:06 AM
SSC Journeyman

I am not taking logbackup outside the log shipping environment. i have configured log shipping again. i need to monitor again today night.
Post #1580478
Posted Friday, June 13, 2014 7:02 AM
SSC-Addicted

Why not just set it to run every minute for now, and then you can monitor it over the 30 minutes, rather than having to wait until later?
Post #1580503
Posted Friday, June 13, 2014 9:24 AM
SSC Journeyman

Actually for 30 minute its working fine but when i set it for 24 hours . first day it is restored but from 2nd day it start giving error
Post #1580575
Posted Friday, June 13, 2014 9:42 AM
SSC-Addicted

Ok, then something else may well be backing up your database and breaking your log chain (as far as log-shipping is concerned). I'd check that with your sysadmins.

It sounds like they're doing this overnight.
Post #1580587
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse