Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Would like some feedback on contractors as employers Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:43 PM
Doctor Who 2 (6/12/2014)
Alan.B (6/11/2014)
I am going to make a wild guess and say that you are in Albuquerque, NM or somewhere nearby? I don't know much about that market but know that there is a desperate shortage of DBAs and good SQL developers right now pretty much everywhere in the US.

I worked for Robert Half for a year as a BI Consultant in 2011-2012 and think that they were okay -- there were some good pros and a few cons - my attitude about them is neutral. I think Tek Systems is better if you have the opportunity to work with them. I have worked with Tek System's people here and there for the past 15 years and they seem to take good care of their people. I also worked with them as a candidate and think they are good to work with.

There are endless opportunities all over the country and employers are getting desperate enough to allow for Remote Candidates. My current employer, for example, allows for remote workers. My Previous 3 employers did so as well now that I think about it.

Two two best sites IMHO for tech job seekers are: Dice.com and indeed.com.

You nailed it, Alan B, I am in the Albuquerque job market. I seldom see any positions open in my local market.

I've now got to ask you, what company is it you work for that they're willing to consider remote employees?

I'm on Dice.com. Haven't heard of indeed.com, so will check them out. Thanks!

In that case, I strongly recommend that you do what I did and it REALLY paid off... Seek out 2 or 3 REALLY good recruiters and work closely with them. Most of the really good companies won't bother (IMHO) with Web Sites like Dice.com (etc) because every Tom, Dick, Harry, and Jane that even sat in the same room as a book on SQL apply. So, instead, they turn to good recruiters that actually do know how to do at least some preliminary filtering.

Note that I didn't say "any" recruiter. It also takes a bit to find a good one but it does sharpen you up on the kinds of questions you might need during a job interview.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1580258
Posted Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:51 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:13 AM
Contracting for most of the last 10 years now.

Watch out for a particular thing Robert Half will do if you're not careful. They market your resume before contacting you about it. This means you can double submit (a HUGE no no) and not know about it. And their rates aren't the best for a competitive position. I don't go near them anymore. They may have changed over the years... but I doubt it.

Contracting is a wierd animal. But at least when I rebuild a server for 48 hours over a weekend, I get PAID for the extra work week.

I agree with Jeff above (that seems to be common, lately). Find a few GOOD recruiters and build up your reputation with and through them. They may travel to other companies. This happens. You can still work with them.

Non-Compete usually means that you can't take a job for 6 months (don't accept any longer than that) after you leave a position with a company that they placed you at. It's pretty standard in the SW (I'm Phoenix). It's relatively common in NYC and Boston, as well, the only two other places I heavily contracted. There's a conversion fee for turning a contractor into an employee. Firing you, dumping the contract, then hiring you directly through a 'competitive interview process' is 'legal'... without that piece of paper. Thus why you sign it. It avoids them not getting $$ for a "Job for Bob" process.

Experis has treated me well, after they bought Comsys who did me just fine. TekSystems are decent but I've only briefly worked for them. There's a few smaller recruiters around me (PCS, for one) who I usually work with but I've been out of the game for a few years... 3 month contract that will finally let me go 4 years later.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1580316
Posted Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:04 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:29 AM
Very interesting information here, Craig. I'm so ignorant about all of this that I thought I would have to just pick one recruiter and go with him/her. You're saying that I should cultivate a relationship with more than one! That's not what I thought of. Don't they not like that?

Rod
Post #1580322
Posted Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:52 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:48 PM
First of all, not all recruiters will have the same opportunities. There will be some overlap, I have seen it in job postings on the internet especially. I have also seen overlap between local and national recruiting agencies. But some recruiters may be exclusive to some companies. This usually happens when a client company and agency develop a strong working relationship and the candidates presented are well qualified for the positions being filled and the candidates selected do good to exceptional work consistently.

Good recruiters will talk to you first before submitting you for consideration. They will tell you everything they can except the name client company. If there are any companies that you do not want to work for you need to be sure to communicate that to them up front.

You should easily determine if a position presented to you by one recruiter is the same as one a different recruiter may also have presented to you.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1580327
Posted Thursday, June 12, 2014 9:18 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:13 AM
Most of them understand the nature of the business. There's no 'bench' anymore, where you're paid between work. Because of that, they really shouldn't try to hold you.

Robert Half, in particular, has practices that attempt to do that, and thus annoy me.

Don't burn them, and they won't burn you. The job descriptions should let you know if you're dealing with a contract you're already in negotiations on. Tell THEM what the company is so you don't double submit, and always get the name once you agree to submit.

In most cases, I have a few guys who 'jump the gun' on contracts, but their rates are low. I'll tell them I'll think about it and decide, while I wait for others to get around to me.

But, no, most reps shouldn't care.

On the flipside, don't let them turn you into a 'spy', either. My usual response is this: "You know how this works. You want the scoop on your stuff, they want it on theirs. I won't release your stuff to them, and I won't release their stuff to you. C'mon now..."

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1580328
Posted Friday, June 13, 2014 6:20 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:29 AM
Thank you, Lynn and Craig.

Rod
Post #1580481
Posted Friday, June 13, 2014 11:12 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:34 PM
Doctor Who 2 (6/12/2014)
Alan.B (6/11/2014)
I am going to make a wild guess and say that you are in Albuquerque, NM or somewhere nearby? I don't know much about that market but know that there is a desperate shortage of DBAs and good SQL developers right now pretty much everywhere in the US.

I worked for Robert Half for a year as a BI Consultant in 2011-2012 and think that they were okay -- there were some good pros and a few cons - my attitude about them is neutral. I think Tek Systems is better if you have the opportunity to work with them. I have worked with Tek System's people here and there for the past 15 years and they seem to take good care of their people. I also worked with them as a candidate and think they are good to work with.

There are endless opportunities all over the country and employers are getting desperate enough to allow for Remote Candidates. My current employer, for example, allows for remote workers. My Previous 3 employers did so as well now that I think about it.

Two two best sites IMHO for tech job seekers are: Dice.com and indeed.com.

You nailed it, Alan B, I am in the Albuquerque job market. I seldom see any positions open in my local market.

I've now got to ask you, what company is it you work for that they're willing to consider remote employees?

I'm on Dice.com. Haven't heard of indeed.com, so will check them out. Thanks!

Being on Dice is good. I mentioned Dice and Indeed because it seams that the best jobs are posted in those two places. You are in a small market for sure. Regarding the companies that offer remote access I'll shoot you a private note about that (I don't know how much company policy I want to discuss here). What I will say now is you can do a search for remote positions on Dice (e.g. search for "sql remote" or "remote dba" and leave the location blank.)

-- Alan Burstein

Read this article for best practices on asking questions.
Need to split a string? Try this (Jeff Moden)
Need a pattern-based string spitter? Try this (Dwain Camps)
My blog
Post #1580662
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse