Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Problem with Dates !!!!!!!!!!!! Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 25, 2013 5:09 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:01 PM
Consider the below query

CREATE TABLE #TEMP (Id int,VALUE NVARCHAR(50))
INSERT INTO #TEMP VALUES(1,'')
INSERT INTO #TEMP VALUES(2,'2013/08')

DECLARE @FirstDate date,
@EndDate date,

SELECT @FirstDate=VALUE FROM #TEMP WHERE ID=1
SELECT @EndDate=VALUE FROM #TEMP WHERE ID=2

i want my FirstDate and @EndDate variable to store the values as both that of ' ' (blank) and a date.

I tried by kepping the datatype as Varchar but it did not work, i tried with convert but it too did not work.

So is it possible to make my variable such that it stores both ' '(blank) and a date.

Thanks
Post #1525882
Posted Wednesday, December 25, 2013 10:52 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

The closes i can come to this problem is

SELECT LEFT(CONVERT(DATE,VALUE,111),7) FROM #TEMP WHERE ID=2

still it is not working. Any one who can help !!!!!!!!
Post #1525906
Posted Wednesday, December 25, 2013 11:23 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 10:06 AM
Shadab Shah (12/25/2013)
The closes i can come to this problem is

SELECT LEFT(CONVERT(DATE,VALUE,111),7) FROM #TEMP WHERE ID=2

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to accomplish, but I think this is what you are looking for.

SELECT 
case when VALUE = '' then '' else
LEFT(CONVERT(DATE,VALUE + '/01',111),7)
end
FROM #temp

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
How to Post to get the most: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
Post #1525910
Posted Wednesday, December 25, 2013 7:00 PM
SSC Veteran

I am trying to store the value return by the select in variable. I took that variable as varchar as well as date but nohing seems to work.....
Post #1525922
Posted Wednesday, December 25, 2013 8:57 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:01 PM
If you wanted to store NULL and a DATE value, then it would be trivial. What's the point storing ''? Is that not the same as Null (unknown)? If not, what does BLANK mean?
Post #1525928
Posted Saturday, December 28, 2013 5:20 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 1:15 PM
I strongly vote against a NVARCHAR data type to store date values (especially, with a length of 50 characters being allowed).
What's the reason for using NVARCHAR instead of DATETIME?

Lutz
A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question
How to post performance related questions
Links for Tally Table , Cross Tabs and Dynamic Cross Tabs , Delimited Split Function
Post #1526287
Posted Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:29 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 10:13 AM
Hi.

1. The posters who said that a blank date is a bad idea are correct. If you are using the script as a demo to show what you are encountering in the application's data, then convert blanks to NULL with a CASE. Much easier to work with NULL.

2. I'm not sure that a DATE type of field will handle converting partial dates. I think that if the date is not valid, such as a year-month that we are implying from your example, then you must choose then to make the date a NULL (invalid), or if it is a "circa" date, you must complete it with a day.

On the other hand, if it is a JULIAN date, you need to do this (copied from http://www.ehow.com/how_12073756_convert-julian-date-sql.html):

CREATE FUNCTION convert_julian_to_datetime(@julian_date char(5)) RETURNS datetime AS
BEGIN
RETURN (SELECT DATEADD(day, CONVERT(int,RIGHT(@julian_date,3)) - 1, CONVERT(datetime, LEFT(@julian_date,2) + '0101', 112)))END

Thanks
John.
Post #1526784
Posted Wednesday, January 1, 2014 11:57 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 12:44 PM
Shadab Shah (12/25/2013)
I am trying to store the value return by the select in variable. I took that variable as varchar as well as date but nohing seems to work.....

That is correct. You cannot store a blank in a DATE datatype. The blank will automatically be converted to 1900-01-01. To wit, you're simply using the wrong datatype for this problem.

If you have a reporting requirement, let's see the code for that instead of the simplified example that you original posted. Then, we might be able to help.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1526931
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse