Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

What Do You Want to Learn? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 6, 2013 2:53 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, December 20, 2014 3:11 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item What Do You Want to Learn?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1512016
Posted Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:24 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:44 AM
Between September and October, I've attended 11 events in 7 cities and given 23 talks on 8 topics.

We certainly don't get those kind of opportunities living in Africa, I envy you.

In our monthly user group I find that there are too many talks discussing new and upcoming features and too few covering some of the basics like indexing or execution plans for example.

The SQL Guy @ blogspot

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me
Post #1512132
Posted Friday, November 8, 2013 5:42 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:52 PM
My problem is that what I would like to learn and think I should be applying I am restricted from doing at most clients. This restriction is on time. Yes, I could do it in my own spare (sic) time.

I would like to spend a reasonable amount of time to learn the diagnosis/debugging features of SQL Server inside out. Including performance. I think that these are basics but are often overlooked but more often put in the "later, always later" pile.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1512627
Posted Friday, November 8, 2013 5:51 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:21 PM
I think at this point, I'd like to start getting the hang of SSIS.

I'm one of those people who learn best by "playing" with something, which means I'd mostly have to do this on my own time. Not a big deal, one copy of SQL 2008 R2 Developers edition (may as well get a 2012 Dev Edition soon,) a VM, a decent "teach yourself X" book, and I'm started...

Now to get that 2012 Dev edition...
Post #1512631
Posted Friday, November 8, 2013 8:31 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:15 PM
I'd like to learn more about SSIS as in coding, debugging, performance, etc. as it pertains to a DBA.
Post #1512704
Posted Friday, November 8, 2013 8:36 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, June 30, 2014 4:25 AM
Best practice for the design and deployment of high availability servers in a distributed VMWare environment please - to support D.R.
Cheers
Mart
Post #1512706
Posted Friday, November 8, 2013 8:44 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, December 12, 2014 7:52 AM
"I find the challenge of learning more about a technology or feature of SQL Server to be exciting, and it seems there's no shortage of new things I'd like to learn."

I am SO there, and not just with SQL Server! It's all so interesting and sometimes even fascinating to me. Obviously a person has to apply a little personal discipline to keep on task on all that lands outside of new things to learn. I struggle with that sometimes.

Of late I've spent a lot of time "translating" existing code from one language to another. Examples would include Sequel to DB2 or Cognos to SQL. The basics are easy, but the subtleties no so much. I would be interested in learning about the commonalities and differences in a world where old things and new things have to interact. I spend time searching a number of sites for explanations, since I'm not an expert on every language. I usually find my answers, but a straight-up comparison would be useful and at the same time give me a better understanding of the evolution of code.
Post #1512711
Posted Friday, November 8, 2013 9:49 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 1:33 PM
"What do you want to learn?"

1. More about automating DBA tasks.
2. More about set-based SQL.
3. More about security.

By the way, Steve, congratulations on your whirlwind tour. That sounds like a crazy amount of travel and work!!

Thanks,
webrunner

-------------------
"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Post #1512739
Posted Friday, November 8, 2013 9:51 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, December 22, 2014 1:35 PM
I like to learn more about debugging database with real time Scenario
Thanks
Post #1512740
Posted Friday, November 8, 2013 9:54 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, December 20, 2014 3:11 PM
webrunner (11/8/2013)

By the way, Steve, congratulations on your whirlwind tour. That sounds like a crazy amount of travel and work!!

Thanks,
webrunner

Thanks. It was crazy, fun, and exhausting.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1512742
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse